Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadly Wii contest results in firing of 10 radio employees

Xtreme Enthusiast

Deadly Wii contest results in firing of 10 radio employees

Mark Raby
    January 17, 2007 10:27
    Sacramento (CA) - Local Sacramento radio station KDND has fired the hosts of its morning talk show, along with seven other employees, after an on-air contest to win a Nintendo Wii ended up killing one of the participants.

The show, "Morning Rave", has also been pulled while the station investigates the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange. During Tuesday's show, a group of people had a chance to win an elusive Nintendo Wii by competing in a contest to see who could drink the most water without going to the restroom.

Strange, who finished second place in the contest, skipped work because of a headache and went home. She was later found dead. According to a preliminary autopsy, Strange died of water intoxication, reports the Associated Press. She had reportedly drunk nearly two gallons of water before she quit.

KDND has launched an internal investigation, but the county sheriff's office said it was not investigating. Strange signed a waiver, relieving the station of any legal guilt or responsibility for her death.

Tom's

Guess you can have too much of anything really.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung
    water intoxication
    sounds like a retarded statement.
    "Roses are FF0000, Violets are 0000FF, All my base are belong to you."
    Asus P6X58D-E
    I7 930 @ 3.9
    Asus 660ti DirectCU OC
    Antec Twelve-Hundred

Muslim Overclocker
    Too much water can kill you...

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Pretty sad actually, the employees shoulda done their homework though... a few marathon-runners have died this way, and there were a few reported cases of people on E drinking a fatal amount of water.

Most people would think it's safe, I mean, we NEED water to live . I guess too much of anything can kill you...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_knowitall15
    sounds like a retarded statement.
    yeah and it's usually called Drowning. water intoxication fits because she had too much water in her system. she couldn't hold her water
    Last edited by safan80; 01-17-2007 at 11:24 PM.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Member
    No. It is most definitely intoxication. Too much water creates a chemical imbalance and your organs shut down. Something about critical sodium deficiency or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dqniel
    No. It is most definitely intoxication. Too much water creates a chemical imbalance and your organs shut down. Something about critical sodium deficiency or something like that.
    Yeah, that's right, it's essentially water posoning. The water dissolves sodium electrolytes which are vital in keeping your cells correctly hydrated. Drinking about a gallon of water (3.5 Litres) in a short period is enough to prove fatal, the other contestants can count themselves lucky...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yah it is actually safer to drink more beer, because you get drunk and pass out.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme Addict
    Strange signed a waiver, relieving the station of any legal guilt or responsibility for her death.
    Doesn't mean a thing. I guarantee you that her family members will sue on behalf of the children and more than likely win. It's the nature of the U.S. courts.

BTW...the sheriff IS investigating this due to on air comments by some of the DJ's. They were aware of death by water intoxification and were actually making jokes about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/...r_intoxication

As quoted from article...

On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.
    Last edited by freeloader; 01-18-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Im sorry while its a sad thing and someone should of done there homework it was her fault. The radio station didn't force it down her, she could of left at any time. Good way to tie up the court system for a few weeks/months.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman20
    Im sorry while its a sad thing and someone should of done there homework it was her fault. The radio station didn't force it down her, she could of left at any time. Good way to tie up the court system for a few weeks/months.
    I tend to agree that she did this to herself, but if you encourage someone to do something they think is fairly safe and you it most certainly is NOT, do you bear some level of responsibility? I would say yes. I would not award the famility of the WOMAN any money, but as the DA I would try to fine that radio station out of existance. That way there aren't stupid lawsuits and the people with some level of responsibility still pay.

Xtreme Member
    Hold your wee for a wii?

This is ridiculous. Why would you compete in such a stupid competition

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryForHertz
    Hold your wee for a wii?

This is ridiculous. Why would you compete in such a stupid competition
    Because PEOPLE

are STUPID.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

I am Xtreme
    When I was in basic we had to drink mad amounts of water, but also had a type of juice (we called it Gatorade) that had sodium suppliments in it. I am not sure, but for like every 2+ liters of water, would drink like a 32oz "Gatorade".
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Mentor
    Did they give them distilled water?

That'll do the kill easily.

And then the radio's waiver won't be sufficient.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Too much water = bad.
    She' stupid.

Xtreme Addict
    Distilled water is very dangerous!

If you drink about 50cl of distilled water you can die. This is because the stomach can't contain it, so it runs right in your innerts.

Also: Drinking a lot of water (or not drinking a lot of water and holding your pee) is very dangerous.

Everything injested into our body needs to be filtered and threated before the body can either use it or dispose it. Even simple water needs to be filtered.

If you drink too much you overload the system causing kidney and liver failure. The same if you hold your pee, the kidneys get overloaded.

However, it is safe to hold your pee for about 24 hours (provided you are healthy), after that it WILL cause damage (it can also cause damage before that, but at the 24 hour mark you are sure of it).

Drinking too much of anything however will kill you a lot sooner...
    The world vs the USA: The whole world hates you!
    USA: Why?? Why does the whole world hate us?
    The world: Because the whole world hates you, and you don't even know why!

SSD faster than your HDD
    I drink distilled water all day long, there is nothing wrong with drinking distilled water.

I drink close to 1 gallon daily (not all at once)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ
    I drink distilled water all day long, there is nothing wrong with drinking distilled water.

Eh, just because you dont notice a problem doesnt mean that one is not there. You should most definitely not drink distilled water in large amounts; see above statements about sodium.

Xtreme Member
    At least the legal settlement will get her kids a Wii.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ

Of course you can drink it normally. In particular with the typical salty U.S. diet.

But it will kill you several times as fast (compared to normal drinking water) if you drink it in a competition.

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorry
    Distilled water is very dangerous!

If you drink about 50cl of distilled water you can die. This is because the stomach can't contain it, so it runs right in your innerts.

Also: Drinking a lot of water (or not drinking a lot of water and holding your pee) is very dangerous.

Everything injested into our body needs to be filtered and threated before the body can either use it or dispose it. Even simple water needs to be filtered.

If you drink too much you overload the system causing kidney and liver failure. The same if you hold your pee, the kidneys get overloaded.

However, it is safe to hold your pee for about 24 hours (provided you are healthy), after that it WILL cause damage (it can also cause damage before that, but at the 24 hour mark you are sure of it).

Drinking too much of anything however will kill you a lot sooner...
    your wrong.

many brands of bottled water are DISTILLED. in fact im drinking it right now.

you are thinking of DEIONIZED. big big difference. and they dont sell deionized water for consumption.

yay, lets chalk this one up to another WC misconception that is perpetuated .

also, your remark about the kidneys is also wrong. your kidneys do not hold urine, your bladder does. and your bladder isnt strong enough to contain the pressure needed to damage your kidneys. (simple terms: youd piss yourself first before damaging your kindeys)
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

SSD faster than your HDD
    Wow... WSP and I agree on something

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80
    yeah and it's usually called Drowning. water intoxication fits because she had too much water in her system. she couldn't hold her water
    LMAO

Xtreme Mentor
    Destilled water is not as dangerous as Thorry implied. What he said is basically what German schools taught me in the 1980ties, which is incorrect.

It doesn't change the fact that destilled water it kills you much quicker than normal drinking water in a drinking contest. Because the cell membranes need a certain concentration of sodium, and watering the sodium you have in your body down below a certain level kills you.

So if the radio show served destilled water then that is basically poisoning the contestants and the legal waiver would be NIL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast