Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The CES Swiftech waterblock Challenge/ XS Party

Hybrid View

Overclocking Guru

The CES Swiftech waterblock Challenge/ XS Party

Xtremesystems will be hosting a party at CES on Januray 9th at 8:00 PM. During this party Swiftech has a challenge for any of you watercooling gurus that will be attending CES.

Swiftech will be launching a new waterblock on Janurary 15th. For those of you attending CES you can get a sneak peek at this new blocks performance. Swiftech is so confident that this block is the best waterblock ever made that they are inviting everybody and anybody to drop by the XS party for a waterblock challenge.

A simple test really, we will have a QX6700 (Quad Core) overclocked at high voltage. We will have a basic water-loop made up from the Swiftech H20-220 watercooling kit (1/2” ID tubing).
    http://swiftech.com/products/H20-220-APEX.asp
    We will then load up all 4 cores 100% each and take the temperature readings for both the ambient and the cores.
    Now the challenge begins, anyone can bring any waterblock which they think is the best and we will hook it up to the same water-loop (same configuration). We will then take the temperatures of the challenger.

The person that can beat the new Swiftech Block, or should I say “If by some miracle somebody beats the Swiftech Block” they will take home a new Swiftech P180 Quiet Power. http://swiftech.com/products/Qpower-P180.asp

A few simple rules: No TEC blocks, your block must be ½” ID tubing capable for easy install on the loop, only one prize will be given out (it will go to the person with the best temps).
    Other then that, it’s all good. All brands of waterblocks are welcome, homemade blocks included. All independent users and waterblock manufacturer representatives are welcome to take their best shot.

Even if you do not want to participate, drop by the XS party anyway for FREE food and drinks.
    Free rides to and from your Hotel provide by XS.

January 9th 8:00
    4830 W. Oquendo
    Las Vegas, NV 89118

Map -> http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=...i=lmd&z=14&t=m

You can also go by this thread in the water-cooling section for additional comments on the topic.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=128244
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 01-11-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Xtreme Member
    What about mail-in submissions? Any kind of system for that?

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Sounds amusing... Unfortunately, I doubt that I'll make it to CES this year--too much work to do.

So, how many people do you suppose will call foul due to the "testing methodologies" being employed?

Pandora's box is ready and waiting
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Tyler Durden
    Mosts watercooling gurus can already take a good guess at the design techniques this block will likely employ. The design will be focused around quad core/large die cooling performance, much like the Apogee, but most likely in a higher quality construction and without a doubt in a more efficient design. Think of the possibility of lots of micro channels, or micro pins. Could even be an evolution of the MCW5000/Apogee by basically using it's same design, but scaling it up by shrinking each tiny diamond machined into the base by 100-200% and multiplying them.

The Storm series of blocks won't be able to challenge this design on the larger die's, such as quad cores, but they will still reign supreme on the single core and even 65nm dual cores.

That's my prediction...
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Addict
    what about blocks with 3 connections? and yeah, i'm guessing flow will have alot to do with it...
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Member
    Quick, someone fly cathar in and tell him to bring his G7.

Edit:Oh thats probably a low flow set up hence why its the "best".

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bartsimsonii
    Quick, someone fly cathar in and tell him to bring his G7.

Edit:Oh thats probably a low flow set up hence why its the "best".
    Thats a pretty realistic scenario =/

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY

The Storm series of blocks won't be able to challenge this design on the larger die's, such as quad cores, but they will still reign supreme on the single core and even 65nm dual cores.

That's my prediction...
    Not really. The G7 thats about to come out features a larger patch and is optimized for quad cores. I doubt switech will take the top, and if yes only until the G7 is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer
    They are so confident that they have the best production block in the world, that if somebody beats it they only get a computer case? It doesn't sound like they have a lot of confidence if that's all they offer.
    I agree, thats a sh_tty reward for them being so sure. If they really were serious they should have thrown down $10,000 or even more serious prize money.

My take is they are using this contest to use other peoples ideas and design to learn from and use them selves.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    Not really. The G7 thats about to come out features a larger patch and is optimized for quad cores. I doubt switech will take the top, and if yes only until the G7 is out.
    I haven't followed the G7's development for months now, but iirc, the G7 is merely an evolutionary step up the Storm ladder, being very similar to the G5, but with twice the jets and cups and some other 'minor' improvements and tweaks. I wouldn't call this optimized for quad cores as it's still a very small patch for cooling when compared with the MCW5000/Apogee and MCW6000 designs.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ultra efficient jet impingement block I would have thought. They seem to do best.

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY
    I haven't followed the G7's development for months now, but iirc, the G7 is merely an evolutionary step up the Storm ladder, being very similar to the G5, but with twice the jets and cups and some other 'minor' improvements and tweaks. I wouldn't call this optimized for quad cores as it's still a very small patch for cooling when compared with the MCW5000/Apogee and MCW6000 designs.
    nope, the G7 has an enlarged cooling patch as well. It'll probably be the last Storm iteration, though a G8 would be possible with an aerospace industry-grade CNC, anything higher would be virtually impossible due to jet/cup size. Swiftech must have something totally different here.

-150c Club Member
    Hmmm size restrictions to the block? If so I'll build a bong cooler with a small copper block base. Unbeatable.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Mounting may also be a big deciding factor in this little competition. Good mounting vs OK mounting can be the deciding factor for the winner. I'll be surprised if no one from XS could beat some water block Swiftech made.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

-150c Club Member
    Yes but its hard to know what block to bring without more knowledge on the loop. I'd imagine its a MCp350 + 2x120mm radiator.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

SSD faster than your HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    Yes but its hard to know what block to bring without more knowledge on the loop. I'd imagine its a MCp350 + 2x120mm radiator.
    Its in OPP's post: http://swiftech.com/products/H20-220-APEX.asp

I will be firing up the triple stage cascade as well.

We will have contact phone numbers posted before the event for those who need rides.

XS vehicle window stickers for those attending.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Egyptian OverClocker
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    XS vehicle window stickers for those attending.
    how can a guy liek me from Egypt get one fo those

can u please send me the image atleast and i will print here
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

wish I could attend but it isn't possible Contest sounds interesting though, Someone will have to report back as to who the winner is
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Id imagine they would use the MCP655 and a 2x120mm rad

isnt the 355 native for 3/8 tubing

anyway, im sure with a mill I could kick swiftechs ass but with my only tool (a dremel) lol I couldnt really do anything
    Heatware -> http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51939
    Ebay -> http://myworld.ebay.com/onewhoisplug
    Feel Free to hop in my ventrio server and chat with us
    Vent6.gameservers.com:4498

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by umop ap!sdn
    anyway, im sure with a mill I could kick swiftechs ass but with my only tool (a dremel) lol I couldnt really do anything
    hey man, all you need is a dremel and a hope

i suggest you get to work
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would also need some copper :p

maybe some silver

oh and a plane ticket to nevada
    Heatware -> http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51939
    Ebay -> http://myworld.ebay.com/onewhoisplug
    Feel Free to hop in my ventrio server and chat with us
    Vent6.gameservers.com:4498

Banned
    Our choice of TIM?

Xtreme Member
    Could it be replacing the Apogee as their new "top-end" CPU block ?

Humm... Maybe that why Apogee's are out of stock in most shops.
    I've been trying to find an Apogee to upgrade my loop but now this news makes me happy I didn't find one and didn't go for a Storm instead.

Even if the test bench is not accurate the results should prove to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    Our choice of TIM?
    Yeah put some CooLaboratory Liquid Pro in there !
    Hehe, got two syringe of it here
    Last edited by Nanobot; 12-29-2006 at 08:15 PM.
    Asus P6T Deluxe, Core i7 920 @ 4.1ghz, Corsair Dominator Tri channel 1600Mhz
    Evga GTX285, Raptor 150GB, Corsair HX620

Apogee GTZ, PA 120.3, CM Stacker STC-01, DDC 3.1 MCP355/XSPC top.
    Win Vista Premium X64

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    Our choice of TIM?
    I doubt it.
    it should be as consistent in testing as possible.
    same paste for every block is the only thing that makes sense.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Git-R-Done
    Maybe a "weaker" pump with less head, to use an Apogee like block so that everyone with G7s will do terrible?

Xtreme Member
    If you're confident in your design, the TIM or loop shouldn't matter.. the pump however could be the make or break. A few years back, swifty seemed to be the top performers with modest flowrates for a readily available product in the US market. I know elsewhere in the world, wild things were done with that thin tubing and stuff. Judging by the test bed's pump, you'll have some decent pumping power available to you if you're thinking in terms of the general retail WC market (hard for many if not most of us to do, I know

Can't wait to see what's in store!! I'm wondering if Cathar didn't offer any consulting in this new one, or was the Cathar<->Swiftech relationship soured somehow?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast