Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The CES Swiftech waterblock Challenge/ XS Party

Day 2 done, sleepy and update later.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9127584

Benching pi up over 5.1Ghz but we had to drop a few Mhz for 3D stable. That run had no VC clocks and a single card. I have some sick screens of failed run high detail scores.
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 01-11-2007 at 02:55 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Nah, we upped the voltage all the way to 1.9v testing, on less voltage we could do pi runs. Here is a top bootable speed I saved a cpuid shot.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=155599

The temps on the cascade were around -91c tonight, but for the temps it was a decent push and K|ngp|n shared some tips.

Enermax dropped by with the Galaxy DXX 1Kw power supply after we had trouble with the SR firing up with the X6800 due to a load or timing issue.

K|ngp|n, Oppainter, Tony, Chilly1, IFMU, Jinu, Philly_Boy, SGT.Viper, FreeCableGuy, Swiftech ,Dtek, Enermax Lian Li, and many guests

CES is not over and it is 6am getting ready for the last day, then it is off to XUG 2007
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lh.jpg 
Views:	2740 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	54693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pi51.jpg 
Views:	2969 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	54694  
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 01-11-2007 at 06:07 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    I think that Intel guys have tricked you for giving you this CPU.....A friend's of mine CPU - retail - can do 5190MHz super-p1 1M and 5140MHz Super-Pi 32M , under -82*C to -87*C full load.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Banned
    Ok. . .I have been fighting a 102-103 degree fever for three days. I feel a bit better today so I wanted to chronicle what happened last Tuesday night in at the Swiftech Challenge.

The Attendees:
    Gabe Rouchon, the CEO of Swiftech along with his thermal engineer, Stephen. OPPAINTER, one of our own and now a tester working for Swiftech ran the challenge. Also attending were Danny Salandra, CEO of D-Tek, Free Cable Guy, Tony Leach from OCZ, Jinu117, Michael Schuette of Lost Circuits, [cTx]Sgt Vipor, Brad (one of the cTx clan members) and me. Charles, FUGGER, the owner of Xtreme Systems hosted the event.

A pic of the two CEO's present: Gabe from Swiftech (left) and Danny from D-Tek:

The Measuring:
    We set out to do one 15 minute run for each block. We ran FUGGER's QX6700 quad core CPU up to 3.6ghz per core with 1.425 volts v-core. We then opened up 4 instances of CPU Burn 5 and took measurements after the 15 minute mark. We used Core Temp to monitor the temps and a temp meter to monitor ambient temperature. Once we measured the temps after the 15 minute mark, we averaged the temps on all four cores to get an average loaded temp. We subtracted the ambient temp from the average to get a result we dubbed the delta T or difference in temperature between ambient and the avg loaded temp of the CPU. The block with the lowest delta T won the Challenge.

First up we built the test bed and accompanying water loop:

The test bed's water loop consisted of a Swiftech Micro Res feeding a MCP655 pump which in turn fed a MCR320 radwhich fed the blocks used in the challenge. We used 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Tygon R3603 tubing throughout the loop.

The first (and only) challenger: The D-Tek FuZion
    FCG brought a block from D-Tek called the FuZion. We found out at the last minute that Danny Salandra, the head guy at D-Tek was in town for CES and invited him along. This block has already been the topic of much discussion elsewhere in this forum.

It has a cast/machined copper base and an injection molded delrin top. The base has many pins with a depression in the middle of the pins about the size of a dime. The Vortex base is said to swirl the water around and up thru four exit holes where they pool to an exit barb. It has a slightly bowed base (on purpose) due to the way it is assembled. We thought it was the one block that had a decent chance to beat Swiftech's new Apogee GT. Tonight we would find out if D-Tek's David had what it took to fell Swiftech's Goliath.

A pic of the FuZion:

Here's the base (borrowed from another thread):

First Kris. . .err. . .FCG mounted the block into the test bed. He used the mounting kit provided by D-Tek and tightened the top nuts until we saw the Asus motherboard begin to bow. Once done we fired up the test bed and water loop to bleed the system. The FuZion had so much flow we never really got all the small bubbles out of the loop. It also caused quite a turbulence in the Micro Res. Anyway, we ran it for the full 15 minutes and took the temps.

FuZion in the test bed:

FuZion at idle:

Initially loaded:

After a few minutes:

Almost done the run:

When we finally called it at the 15 minute mark the results were:

C0-69c C1-58c C2-63c C3-58c = 62c avg less ambient temp of 22.9c yielded a delta T of 39.1c.

Not bad. . .not bad at all. But was it good enough to beat the new Apogee GT?

The Challenged - The Swiftech Apogee GT
    Swiftech was founded in 1994 but in recent years it has emerged as one of the premier forces in the watercooling industry. It's products have become the favorite many computer enthusiasts and the Storm G4 and Apogee blocks have become two of the the premier CPU waterblocks in the industry.

So when Swiftech decided to come out with a new block and give us a peek during CES, we were excited to accomodate that introduction. The new Apogee GT is a bit different than a regular Apogee in that the diamond pins are smaller and there are many more of them. It will also come with two different sized o-ring gaskets to seal the base to the delrin top. One 2.6mm diameter gasket will yield a flat base (machine lapped to +/-.003" flat) and the other gasket is thicker, 2.9mm in diameter, and will yield a slightly bowed base that Swiftech has found to increase the performance of the waterbolck.

The Apogee GT:

New retail packaging - can anyone say - available soon at Fry's?

Here's the base and hold down plate:

A closer look at the base:

The famous bow in the base:

OK, enough hype over the new Apoge GT. Eric, aka OPPAINTER, mounted the Apogee GT in the test bed and we prepared for a run with the Apogee.

The mounting tool:

Mounted in the test bed:

We did manage to get in one run of 15 minutes. FCG was trying to confirm temps by using MBM5. Shortly after he customized the readout for the quad core Kentsfield CPU, the rig locked up and spontaneoudly rebooted.

Apogee GT idle temps:

Apogee GT initial loaded temps:

After 15 minutes

The final run temps were:

C0-67c C1-63c C2-65c C3-63c = avg loaded temp of 64.5c less ambient of 22.4c yielded a delta T of 42.1c.

Well, well, well!! It would seem that the Apogee GT got pwned! After the system locked, OPP, Gabe and Stephen from Swiftech set about to see if everything was ok with the test bed. Each time they remounted and rebooted the test bed the system would lock after they loaded up the CPU.

Refitting the Apogee: Gabe (L) and Stephen refit the Apogee while Danny from D-Tek looks on:

Apogee GT 2nd run loaded before lock up:

We decided to refit the FuZion to see if there was instability with the test bed that could've caused the system to lock.

FuZion remounted:

FuZion on 2nd Run loaded:

So, as you can see the FuZion performed consistantly well. A second run yielded a delta T of 37.25c and a third run yielded a delta T of 38.25c EDIT: The FuZion did lock up during 2 runs as well, leaving us to believe that there was some instability with the mother board. Perhaps when we torqued the Apogee GT down on one of the mounts we bowed the mobo to the point of breaking a trace. We ran the Apogee GT two or three more times and the same problem with locking up occurred. [/EDIT] Swiftech then ran a version of the Apogee GT block that they think will eventually replace the Storm. I am not permitted to show photo's or the test results, but that block did complete 2 successful runs of 15 minutes before the board began to show instability.

In the end it was almost 2am. We had been testing these blocks at this point for over 6 hours. We declared the D-Tek FuZion the winner. It's best run of 37.25 delta T bested the Apogee GT's only run by 4.85C. FCG got to claim the Antec P180 Quiet Case (A P180 case pre loaded with a complete Swiftech water loop) as the prize.

And so ended the Swiftech Challenge.
    Last edited by Philly_Boy; 01-13-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Very cool!

Xtreme Cruncher
    nice..
    For all your cooling needs: ShopPTS.com
    System:
    Rampage Formula // E8400 @ 4.0 (1.28v)
    4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer @ 600 (5-5-5-15)
    4x 74GB Raptors 16MB Raid-0 // Samsung F1 1TB
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB @ 800/1111/2000
    Corsair HX620 // LG246WP
    Cooling:
    D-TEK FuZion // PA120.3 // 3x Yate Loon SH
    MCW60GT // EK Multi-150 // DDC-2 + Petra's Top

Wow... Danny sure hasn't changed since the last time I saw him; almost three years ago. This is the moment he has been waiting for since he started to product the Spir@l

Just getting back to normal life now.
    Vegas was a blast and it was great to meet up with some of you guys.
    Really got worn out at one point. Never seemed to fully recover from the ocz/corsair party night lol. The overclocking with that intel x6800 could have gone a bit further if we weren't so worked. It was a pretty nice chip and I am positive it can do 5200mhz+ for superpi at cascade temps.
    Someone has a picture of me sleeping at the keyboard of the triple stage rig running -94c loaded/5.1ghz in windows late one night. That's how it was literally
    It was all fun as hell...especially taking pics with all the hotties .
    Great trip and next year can't come soon enough.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    That sounds like it has been fun

Nice writing Philly_Boy!
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like you guys had a great time . Has anyone got any more pictures?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by k|ngp|n
    Really got worn out at one point. Never seemed to fully recover from the ocz/corsair party night lol. The overclocking with that intel x6800 could have gone a bit further if we weren't so worked. It was a pretty nice chip and I am positive it can do 5200mhz+ for superpi at cascade temps.
    Someone has a picture of me sleeping at the keyboard of the triple stage rig running -94c loaded/5.1ghz in windows late one night. That's how it was literally
    It was big fun hanging out with you! Hopefully we can do this again soon.
    I am resizing pics of Vince an the CES hotties while I watch the Eagles game.

Yep, I did forget that photo we dubbed "The Comotose Overclocker" LOL!
    Here it is:

Egyptian OverClocker
    LOL

very funny
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

INTEL inside
    haha
    retired computer enthusiast

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    I'm glad you had a good time you guys........

Does your wife knows anything about it?.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Quote Originally Posted by hipro5
    I'm glad you had a good time you guys........

Does your wife knows anything about it?.....
    My GF doesn't read the forums and actually doesn't like OC'ing all that much luckily

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_Boy
    It was big fun hanging out with you! Hopefully we can do this again soon.
    I am resizing pics of Vince an the CES hotties while I watch the Eagles game.

Yep, I did forget that photo we dubbed "The Comotose Overclocker" LOL!
    Here it is:

ROFL either that pic is staged or Vince is smiling in his sleep thinking of the hotties
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Not staged...I was seriously F'd!! and it was late as hell.. Fugger dissapeared was off doing something else and left the cascade going. I didn't have the strength to even look at the monitor after like 10 minutes of oc'ing. They were all making fun of me and lol. XS crew had early morning breakfast next day with my EVGA homies at 8am .

Xtreme Addict
    Lmao you were asleep and he just left the cascade running and dissapeared ?

You were lucky you didn't wake up with the cascade head stuck to your forehead.

wow! thanks to this thread i was able to improve my temps 16 degrees
    by lapping my E6600 (only did it for about 40 minutes, tho i got a nice mirror finish, grid 320,400,600,1500,2000) i also added a small flat washer to my apogee water block (spring, plastic cap, washer, nut in that order)
    my cpu likes high voltage i am running 423x9 3800 at 1.65 vcore before my lapping and washer i was getting 55 idle going all the way to 74 after i am getting 43 with max orthos running hovering about 58

i am using the swiftech H20 kit by the way also with a swiftech chipset block

thanks for the great info

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234