Thread: **Guide**P5W-DH Cooling Mod (Pics)

Xtreme Member

**Guide**P5W-DH Cooling Mod (Pics)

Note: I am not held responsible for any damage you cause to your computer from using this guide. What you do to your computer is up to you. This would obviously viod any warranty you have on the motherboard.

Tools & Materials Needed:

- Small Pliers
    - Sharp blade (something small such as a utility knife blade or exacto knife)
    - Qtips
    - Rubbing Alcohol
    - Your favorite thermal paste

1. Flip the motherboard over and use the small pliers to squeeze the plastic pins closed while pressing them into the motherboard until they pop back into their holes. Be careful not to over squeeze or you might damage the pins.

2. Start with the lower heatsink. This will be a bit difficult to remove since the stock thermal paste is very dry. Use some soft levar and support it using your finger. Put the other end under the heatsink and slowly push it up a little under all four sides until it pops off. Be careful not to support the lever on any parts of the motherboard.

3. Now the upper NB heatsink should be much easier to remove. Simply unlatch both sides and rotate it a little and it should be easy to pull off.

As you can see, asus has loaded on the thermal paste and trust me, it is VERY dry. Now comes the "fun" part....

4. Use the small blade to scrape off some (not all) the dry thermal paste on the LOWER chip (the bigger black one). The top of this chip is plastic, so you can apply a very small amount of force to scrape the dry paste off. Once this is done, use a Qtip of paper towel moistened with rubbing alcohol to clean the rest off. Again, you can use some force with the blade, but dont start slicing through the chip. Get as much of it off as you can. This is what mine looked like:

5. This is probably the most difficult part since now you cannot use the blade. The thermal paste on the upper NB is as dry as the stuff you have just scraped off. You might want to grab something to drink becuase this took a while for me. Use the rubbing alcohol and a Qtip to rub all the thermal paste off. This is a bare chip so I would only use some soft object to clean it. What you can do is cut the Qtip in half and use the soft plastic of cardboard stem to GENTLY scrape some paste off.

Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - P5W DH Deluxe Cooling Mod
    - 2048mb Patiot PC2 5300 @ 890mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.15v (MAX 1053mhz 2.35v)
    - Nvidia 8800gt
    - Silverstone ST75F 750watt
    - Modded Asus Vento (Black) *Heavy Case Modding In Progress*

Xtreme Member
    6. Now for the heatsinks! Something I found out about these heatsinks when I nicked one a little and saw a silver shimmer. They are Aluminum, NOT copper. I was so sad But anyways.... use the blade to scrape off most of the dry paste off from the smaller heatsink, then clean it off with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel after. **OPTIONAL** You can take off the asus logo cover to improve airflow through the heatsink.

7. Now for the larger heatpipe heatsink. Do not remove the thermal pads on it, simply clean them off a little and cut a small piece from a plastic bag and cover it up. This will keep them nice and clean until you are finished . Ok, so thats clean, now for the other one. There will be a soft, thin protective layer on the heatsink that prevents it from wobbling that could cause possible damage to the chip. Personally...I removed it, but you can fabricate your own from tape or velcro tape if you really want it back. Clean this heatsink off just as you did the smaller one, scrape the dry paste off and clean it using rubbing alcohol and some paper towel. Again...you can remove the logo plate if you want better airflow OR want to mount a small 40mm fan on top.

I scraped a little to hard and thats when I found out the heatsinks were not copper but copper plated. Since I scratched it too much, I had to lap it .

As you can see...I didnt do a very good lap job, but it was nice and shiny where the chip would be so w/ e.

After all this is done, just put some thermal paste on both chips and remount the heatsinks! I used Zalman STG-1 Super Thermal Grease for mine.

My temps dropped about 5-8c from this mod. Hope your results are as good as mine.
    Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - Nvidia 8800gt

Xtreme Cruncher
    You need to go ahead and just stick a 40mm fan on it lol. Passive is not the way to go with this board, as far as overclocking is concern. This is a good way to start it but definitely stay away from passive if you plan to OC.
    For all your cooling needs: ShopPTS.com
    System:
    Rampage Formula // E8400 @ 4.0 (1.28v)
    4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer @ 600 (5-5-5-15)
    4x 74GB Raptors 16MB Raid-0 // Samsung F1 1TB
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB @ 800/1111/2000
    Corsair HX620 // LG246WP
    Cooling:
    D-TEK FuZion // PA120.3 // 3x Yate Loon SH
    MCW60GT // EK Multi-150 // DDC-2 + Petra's Top

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice guide
    Asus Rampage II Gene - i7 920 D0 Lapped - Lapped Noctua NH12U-F
    Sapphire HD4870 X2 - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT@T1 - Windows 7 x64
    2 x WD Velociraptor 150GB Raid 0 - 500GB Samsung T166
    Antec ThreeHundred - Samsung A656 40"- TX650W

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syne_24
    You need to go ahead and just stick a 40mm fan on it lol. Passive is not the way to go with this board, as far as overclocking is concern. This is a good way to start it but definitely stay away from passive if you plan to OC.
    lol oops! Ive been pushing 3.5ghz for a while with no fan on the nb...why o why did asus not put a sensor for the nb?!?
    Specs:
    - Nvidia 8800gt