Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K8 65nm (Brisbane) Anandtech Review

Xtreme Enthusiast

K8 65nm (Brisbane) Anandtech Review

In-depth Brisbane Review
    Anandtech

Anandtech Review gives us some new, unheared of info about K8 65nm:

* Uses the same integer Memory Divisors. This means that the odd Multipliers used for archiving 100 MHz increases can result in even slower Memory Frequency that the even ones.
    * Cache L2 Latency increased from 12 clock cycles that all the K8s from initial launch until now had to 20 clock cycles (Remember Prescott to Prescott 2M?). This is the cause for the slighty slower performance on some Benchmarks on the Preview.
    * From Anandtech test samples, 65nm Energy Efficient A64X2 4800+ and 5000+ works at 1.35V while the older Windsor 90nm full power A64X2 5000+ works at 1.3V. Smaller manufacturing process but higher Voltage??? However, power consumption is lower anyways, but it should have been better.

It isn't surprising right now that AMD is releasing the DH-F3 and JH-F3 parts that I commented some time ago for their highest end Processors when the 65nm ones scalability AND performance is crippled. AMD, what the hell are you doing?!?!

Source: Anandtech
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 12-21-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Banned
    Does this means that AMD have had and still have problems with the 65nm SOI-3 and that the 65nm SOI-3 is slower than the 90nm SOI-2?

Quote Originally Posted by SoddemFX
    That's a bit of a bad typo isnt it?!

Tom
    No, it isn't a typo. The latency is measured in cycles, which is same dimension as Hz's.
    Last edited by gOJDO; 12-21-2006 at 02:17 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    That is strange. If they do move to a "rev B" as LOE hypothesised there will be a move over period where it might be tricky getting the right part.

Currently it seems 90nm AMD is a bargain for us, 65nm is a bargain for AMD!

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The bulk of the die consists of the l2 cache. Slowing it down would help improve yields. That AMD is using higher voltage than their 90nm parts and that it overclocks poorly also point in the same direction; trouble with their 65nm process.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE
    Maybe L2 latency is higher due to unmature process

this reminds me of the Tbred A days.... now lest wait for the B
    me thinks the same.

2800mhz with stock cooler isn't that bad, or am I wrong? though it doesn't look like the OC monster everyone was hoping for

and I'm confused about the high voltage, too. doesn't make much sense to me. ok, AMD can now put more DIEs on one Wafer, but this wasn't the only advantage we were expecting, right?
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 12-21-2006 at 03:57 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, it seems that which was hypothesized and predicted has indeed come true.

Many on the forum expected the 65nm cpu's from AMD would not clock well initially as it repeated itself from 90nm transition...keyword "initially".

Hopefully when things mature we can see some real good stuff pressing out. It does make me question though....how soon can we see a serious threat come for Intel?? My expectations for K8L aren't very high.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO
    Does this means that AMD have had and still have problems with the 65nm SOI-3 and that the 65nm SOI-3 is slower than the 90nm SOI-2?

No, it isn't a typo. The latency is measured in cycles, which is same dimension as Hz's.
    cycles and Cycles/second aren't the same thing
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Banned
    yeap, you are right.
    Hz should be replaced with cycles.

Xtreme Member
    The higher latency might be due to longer pipeline. AMD might have lengthened the pipeline to start the MHz race all over again.

The clocks that Conroe and Allendale are hitting seems to be putting AMD in a panic mode. There is just not much you can do to fill up a 12-stage pipeline in K8 anymore. The design have reach saturation and all you get is a diminishing return.

Higher clock just give out more heat without any increase in performance to justify it. I'm guessing a 16-20 stage pipeline for those new brisbane core. http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/....dailytech.com
    SEE THE LAST QUESTION/ANSWER.

Anandtech might have been provided a lowly clocked and highly volt chip to conceal AMD's secret here.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L625A] 3330MHz 1.375Vcore 24/7
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L640F] 3330MHz 1.475Vcore
    Crucial 10th Anv 2 x 1GB DDR2-667 @ 463MHz 4-4-4-12
    ASUS P5B Dlx
    FOTRON BLUE STORM 500W
    TT BT with stock Fan
    Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GSw/ Silent Pipe
    WD Cavier 250GB
    Antec P160

Xtreme Addict
    Something weird in that review E6600 consume less power that E6300
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Addict
    amd is not starting any mhz race over, the higher latency is so that they could get higher yields. think about it, this process is mostly done to increase shipments to oems, who dont give a rats ass about a 5% difference in a few apps. k8 isnt anywhere near the performance crown, so its not really that damaging, for those who still like amd, theres revision f3 chips to play around with. amd will make a reall effort when star comes, before then theyll take higher yileds over a few cylces higher latency.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by agenda2005
    The higher latency might be due to longer pipeline. AMD might have lengthened the pipeline to start the MHz race all over again.

The clocks that Conroe and Allendale are hitting seems to be putting AMD in a panic mode. There is just not much you can do to fill up a 12-stage pipeline in K8 anymore. The design have reach saturation and all you get is a diminishing return.

Higher clock just give out more heat without any increase in performance to justify it. I'm guessing a 16-20 stage pipeline for those new brisbane core. http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/....dailytech.com
    SEE THE LAST QUESTION/ANSWER.

Anandtech might have been provided a lowly clocked and highly volt chip to conceal AMD's secret here.
    umm that was not even close to being accurate.
    AMD has a (in theory) max IPC of 4.5 (1.5 FP, 3 Int)
    Conroe has a (in theory) Max IPC of 7 (2 FP, 5 Int(under ideal circumstances))
    Now the average IPC at any given time is less than 1.7
    In standard programming IPC rarely exceeds 2.5
    So in pure logic means that the IPC isn't even being used up yet.
    The only logical improvement that remains is to be more efficient in prefetch and to issue more to be processed

Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    amd is not starting any mhz race over, the higher latency is so that they could get higher yields. think about it, this process is mostly done to increase shipments to oems, who dont give a rats ass about a 5% difference in a few apps. k8 isnt anywhere near the performance crown, so its not really that damaging, for those who still like amd, theres revision f3 chips to play around with. amd will make a reall effort when star comes, before then theyll take higher yileds over a few cylces higher latency.
    Thank you, that is spot on, remember the slowest part (cache/processor) determine the top speed of the processor
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by agenda2005
    The pipeline on all K8 CPUs(all revisions, all prodcution processes) has same length: 12/15 ALU/FPU stages.
    Higher clock just give out more heat without any increase in performance to justify it.
    CPU perfromance = IPC(instructions processed per clock) x freqfency. Performance can be increased by increasing IPC, by increasing freqfency or by increasing both.

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    AMD has a (in theory) max IPC of 4.5 (1.5 FP, 3 Int)
    Conroe has a (in theory) Max IPC of 7 (2 FP, 5 Int(under ideal circumstances))
    Nope.
    K8 has in theopry max IPC of 3, while Core2 has 5(in case when macro-op fussion is used). K8 is a 3 issue core, Core2 is 4+1 issue. It is impossible to have more instructions retired than the decoder can decode.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kemo6600
    Something weird in that review E6600 consume less power that E6300
    They prefaced that earlier in the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Anandtech
    The impact of higher voltages on power consumption also applies to Intel as well. As you will see in our power comparison, in a number of cases our Core 2 Duo E6300 required even more power than the E6600 we tested last time. The reason being that our E6300 sample runs at a core voltage of 1.325V vs. 1.2625V for our E6600 sample. Just things to keep in mind as you look at the power results over the next few pages.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any thoughts on die size? (2nd page of the article)

What makes Anand think this is possible?
    this is AMD's first 65nm chip, and AMD tends to make many improvements to its manufacturing process over time. The chip we're comparing Brisbane to was made at the pinnacle of AMD's 90nm manufacturing cycle, so it's quite possible that, with time, AMD will improve its 65nm process to the point where a smaller Brisbane would be possible. Until we can get a more technical explanation from AMD, that's the best we can report on this issue

Maturing a process means that you get a better ocer chip, or better power consumption..... but I never heard of reducing die size (with same amount of transistors, and same nm. process).
    Strange....

Xtreme Member
    cycles and Cycles/second aren't the same thing
    Yes they are, just like meters and meters per second are the same thing. Yesterday, the wind blew 4 meters.

Anyway, does anyone know how the price is to compare between the 90nm versions and the 65nm versions?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoddemFX
    Hz refers to cycles per second, not absoloute clock cycles. The quoted values would equate to cache latencies of 83ms and 50ms, which is a bad typo

Tom
    Fixed it, didn't know this.

About the increased Cache L2 Latency, I got a theory. If I recall correctly, the Prescott 2M was capable of reaching on average higher Frequencies via overclocking than the Prescott could. Without improved quality yields, and supposingly than the Cache L2 was the slower component from the Prescott Core and didn't allowed it to reach higher Frequencies, slowing the Cache L2 Latency would possibily work like if you was raising the Timmings on a Memory Modules, you trade Timmings for higher Frequencies. If in the K8 the Cache L2 was also the slower component, raising the Latency would allow it to reach higher Frequencies. However... 65nm K8s doesn't overclock further than what current 90nm Cores does, yet the Cache L2 Latency is higher. Maybe they had to increase the Cache L2 Latency just to being able to reach current Frequencies. A very bad sign if what I'm saying is right, indeed.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama

Maturing a process means that you get a better ocer chip, or better power consumption..... but I never heard of reducing die size (with same amount of transistors, and same nm. process).
    Strange....
    You also forget the empty space on some dies. Routing issues in design. Changes in the mask. there are literally thousands of ways to reduce Die size even with the same process.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i can only say one thing

Last edited by metro.cl; 12-21-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO
    The pipeline on all K8 CPUs(all revisions, all prodcution processes) has same length: 12/15 ALU/FPU stages.
    i was under the impression that the FPU was 17, not 15
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzimark
    i was under the impression that the FPU was 17, not 15
    you are correct
    Int =12
    FP = 17
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl
    i can only say one thing
    what is so important about Bad memory timing?
    Besides the fact that it would seriously effect performance

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you are correct
    Int =12
    FP = 17

what is so important about Bad memory timing?
    Besides the fact that it would seriously effect performance
    bad freq not timings, it just sucks if you ask me

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl
    bad freq not timings, it just sucks if you ask me
    compared to what it could be doing you are correct.
    a 6 Divider isn't too much of a stretch.
    but what is bugging me is the fact they are running 5-5-5-18-T2
    Which is nearly doubt what it could be. Since Latency matters more than Bandwidth for AMD (for the most part)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    AMD are saying it is for possible larger than 1MB cache later on rather than yeilds. I wonder why they would want very large cache, currently their architecture allows efficient use of small amount of cache, say 512.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Performance and efficiency are still both Intel's fortes thanks to its Core 2 lineup, and honestly the only reason to consider Brisbane is if you currently have a Socket-AM2 motherboard.

Sums it up quite nicely.
    Gigabyte GA965P-DS3
    E6400 @390FSB/3120MHz (1.40V)
    Scythe Ninja Plus 1500rpm fan
    2x1GB OCZ EL Platinum XTC Rev. 1 @DDR780/4-4-4-12/2.1V
    EVGA 7800GT-CO @500/1150
    Seagate 7200.10 320GB/16MB SATAII
    Etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast