Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Review. Corsair Voyager 8 Gig Flash Drive.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Mini Review. Corsair Voyager 8 Gig Flash Drive.

Flash Drives have come a very very long way since I had my first one... a 32 meg one that cost me about $60 a few years ago, is now dwarfed in comparison to these new "monster" storage drives coming out.

I know Corsair has a 16 gig on the market, and I hear theres a 32 gig version not too far away...
    thats literally more space then my first PC just a few short years ago had (about 2001 my first PC had a 20 gig drive in it)

just last summer I got a 512 meg drive, which I thought was incredible.
    took me about a week to run out of space on that... then it wasnt so incredible, when I had to constantly try to deciede what I could delete to make space for some file I wanted to keep with me at a given time...

I doubt thats gonna be a problem with this anytime soon.

The Package.

Solid Heat Sealed Packaging, with little to no chance of damage during shipping.

What else you get.

Mini Driver CD (not necessary, I just put the drive on my PC and it worked with no need for the CD) USB Extension cable, and a Neck Strap.

Close Up.

Its got a solid rubber shell around the drive itself, and has a solid grip, and with a shell like this, theres not much chance of damage under most circumstances.

The Cap.

The Cap to the drive is solid rubber, and is held into place by tension, and has almost no chance of falling off on its own. its pretty well on there, so its not gonna just disappear one day, unless you plain old forget where you put it or something.

The Drive In Action.

When installed and running, you will see a Blue LED Activity light, that works in much the same way a "think light" on a standard case shows the activity of a hard drive.
    its a fairly bright light and rather noticable, but its not distracting at all to me personally, even though with the extension cable, it's only about a foot away from me on my desk when in use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.JPG 
Views:	2194 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	53987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B.JPG 
Views:	2311 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	53988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C.JPG 
Views:	2108 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	53989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D.JPG 
Views:	2066 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	53990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E.jpg 
Views:	2038 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	53991  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

The Space.

when installed into windows, you will find this isnt exactly 8 gigs, but 7.7 gigs.

theres nothing wrong with it, and this is normal.
    its the usual 1024/1000 grudge that Microsoft and the entire hardware industry are in a pissing match over.

it goes something like this...

Microsoft thinks 1 meg is 1000 Kb.
    the hardware industry calls 1 meg 1024 Kb.

so the entire hardware industry has 1 standard, and microsoft has another.
    so what the hardware companies call 8 gigs... microsoft calls 7.7 gigs.

well, it goes something like that... I forget the real details of it, but I know it's petty and I really wish someone would finally agree, so next time I buy a 400 gig hard drive... it's not really 377 gigs, cause thats getting old real quick...

Benchmarks.

Sisoftsandra doesnt really have much for me to compare this drive to, in the database, but as you can see from what they do have... its among the fastest USB Flash Drives out there, and thats all I care about.

from this graph, you can see that its among the top, and has a higher sustained transfer rate then all the other drives shown.

More Benchmarks.

Again, not much to compare against, but for a USB Flash Drive, 30+ meg transfer rates is pretty solid, no matter what brand you look at.
    so definatly happy to see its no slouch.

Again....

again, I gotta say... the USB Flash Drive database on Sisoftsandra is pretty skim on drives to compare to.
    so take this one as just a shot to show how well newer USB Flash drives compare to older flash drives, showing the evolution of the newest generation of Flash Drives.
    definatly something to think about, if you have a older drive and been thinking of getting a new one.

HDTach.

A personal favorite benchmark of mine.
    no real database to compare to, so I just left it at its default setting.
    this is the Long Test of HDTach.

now, I need to note, you cant fairly compare a USB Flash Drive to a regular SATA or SCSI drive.... USB Flash Drives are meant to be small, and portable... speed is secondary, and they do the best they can with the size.
    but you can't compare the two.
    so take this shot, as only a second way of showing what kinda speed you can expect from this drive alone.

My Overall Impression.

If your looking for a new Flash Drive, and need lots of space for whatever your doing, this is definatly a solid drive you might look into.
    the price is only "fair" at $152 at Newegg, but all drives of this size, carry a premium price tag, but if you can actually find a need for these drives, this is a good solid choice to look into.
    Most USB Flash Drives have very similar speeds and charactoristics if they are from the same generation...

what made this one stand out for me, is the 10 year warranty, and the solid rubber casing, so there was even less chance of me damaging it over time.

overall I am pretty damn impressed with how much they can fit into such a small space, and with how fast I can transfer files to this drive.
    my old 512 takes about 3 times longer to transfer the same files, then this drive did... so theres definatly been some changes in the generations of USB Flash Drive, since I got my last drive.
    I am glad to finally have a drive I can use without constantly having to delete files from... and I am glad to know theres a solid warranty with it.
    I like good long 10 year warranties, none of this 60-90 day crap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair.JPG 
Views:	2078 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	53994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair 2.JPG 
Views:	1971 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	53995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair 3.JPG 
Views:	1976 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	53996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair 4.JPG 
Views:	1908 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	53997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair 5.JPG 
Views:	1907 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	53998  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    I don’t trust any BIG flash memory (above 2GB) a friend of mine got one of those and suddenly the flash refuse to copy folders it only copy files
    Oh I forgot to mention something nice review as usual
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Quote Originally Posted by kemo6600
    I don’t trust any BIG flash memory (above 2GB) a friend of mine got one of those and suddenly the flash refuse to copy folders it only copy files
    Oh I forgot to mention something nice review as usual
    with a ten year warranty from a company like Corsair, your coverd.
    thats what the warranty covers... failure.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    very cool... giant thumb drive.

Slightly OT... have you ever left an electronics store after purchasing something in one of those heat sealed blister packs and tried to open it in your car with no knife or scissors?? Grrrrrr... and that plastic is razor sharp as you tear and rip it, lol...

Haha... yeah, Heat Seal Packaging is definatly not meant to be torn open or bit open or anything like that.

what I usually do if I am not at home, to use my razor, is just use a sharp Key.

keys work great at opening heat sealed packages.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    very cool... giant thumb drive.

Slightly OT... have you ever left an electronics store after purchasing something in one of those heat sealed blister packs and tried to open it in your car with no knife or scissors?? Grrrrrr... and that plastic is razor sharp as you tear and rip it, lol...
    haha yeah, they're really a pain to open! why in the name of the lord do they make them so hard to open?

nice review kunaak, that's a huge flash drive, didn't even know there were bigger drives than 2gb out
    E8400, P5Q-E, Crucial 2x2GB , XFX 8800GTX , Corsair HX620W
    D-TEK Fuzion, MCW60, Thermochill PA120.2, MCP655

Ker-Pow !
    I used to use blanking plates from cases to do just about everything years ago....lol

Nice review, 16gb sure would be handy.

The Blue Dolphin
    It offers very good performance, BUT you can get a nice Creative MP3 player with 8GB flash memory for $14 extra from Newegg. See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle

I'd rather combine a music player with a mass storage device. If only performance and size matter, then the Corsair Voyager is probably the best choice though
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Cruncher
    kunak i think its 1024 from MS and 1000 from hdd makers
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Cruncher
    They got a 16gb one now too, pretty crazy. I'm using the 4gb one here and I love it. Very convenient for loading apps and drivers when reformating.
    For all your cooling needs: ShopPTS.com
    System:
    Rampage Formula // E8400 @ 4.0 (1.28v)
    4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer @ 600 (5-5-5-15)
    4x 74GB Raptors 16MB Raid-0 // Samsung F1 1TB
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB @ 800/1111/2000
    Corsair HX620 // LG246WP
    Cooling:
    D-TEK FuZion // PA120.3 // 3x Yate Loon SH
    MCW60GT // EK Multi-150 // DDC-2 + Petra's Top

Xtreme Cruncher
    Here's my LG just for comparison to how fast that corsair is

I wonder if you can get usb to sata convertors and put 2 of these in RAID 0 and run windows??
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Yah i have a 1g also and this one smokes mine with only 10Mb's

Very nice review kunaak
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    with a ten year warranty from a company like Corsair, your coverd.
    thats what the warranty covers... failure.
    Yes it does cover but not in Africa
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan18
    kunak i think its 1024 from MS and 1000 from hdd makers
    if it was that way, then when you buy a 400 gig drive, it would be 420+ gigs when you got into windows wouldnt it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    if it was that way, then when you buy a 400 gig drive, it would be 420+ gigs when you got into windows wouldnt it?

owned by simple math

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

¿
    No MS uses the correct measurement - 1024MB per GB. Drive makers use 1000mb per GB which is wrong. By their method a 400GB drive holds 400,000MB, when in fact 400GB is really 409,600MB. So that '400GB' drive really only holds 390GB, then you add the space used for partitioning, file system and Volume info and everyone hates MS

Did you try running an OS off this by any chance?

I am Xtreme
    IDK GHZ are you sure? Coders decided to make it simple by using 1000 instead of 1024. Lazy folk.

I learned that tidbit in Java class @ school.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

ok, so then...

Hardware Industry.

1 meg - 1000 kilobytes.

1 gig - 1000 megabytes.

1 gig - 1,000,000 kilobytes.

1,000,000 x 400 - 400,000,000

400 gigs.

Microsoft.

1 megabyte = 1 024 kilobytes

1 gigabyte = 1 024 megabytes

1 gigabyte = 1 048 576 kilobytes

1,048,576 x 400 = 419,430,400

or 419.4 gigs.

no thats not right...
    I just cant figure out how to translate that into a 400 gig drive, turning into a 372 gig drive once in windows.

I did 1000 / 1024 = .9765 x 400 = 390 gigs...
    but that still leaves a 18 gig margin of error so I am not close enough yet to understanding this...

(I use a 400 gig drive, cause thats my back up drive size)

¿
    They need that 18Gigs for the big brother stuff

that answer is too simple for me to believe.
    I find it hard to swallow they would take 18 gigs for little more then being able to see the drive....

¿
    Well the reverse math doesn't do much better does it, and btw that last comment wasn't serious

File allocation doesn't fit neatly into every last micron of the disk(s) storage either but your right 18GB is too much.

Xtreme Addict
    MS == 1000

Everyone else == 1024
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Cruncher
    AFAIK you loose that 18 gigs from the MFT, partition table and space for the registry to be stored
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, you can install WinXP+SP2 (nLite) on that USB 2.0 stick
    How about SuperPI via those sticks?
    - Team Skootterit
    - SuperPi32M : 18m53.156s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)
    - SuperPi8M : 3m55.703s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)
    - SuperPi1M : 21.484s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast