Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: A Positive Look at the Antec Nine Hundred (900) Case

Deees,
    That is a nice clean install. That definately gives me some ideas as I am just putting my system together. Hoping the remaining parts will show up this week.
    The Do-Over
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
    CPU: Intel Quad Q9450
    CPU Cooling Swiftech H20-200 Compact
    Mem: Crucial Ballastix Tracer PC2-8000 x2 & PC2-8500 x2 (4GB)
    Video: eVGA 8800GTS x1
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA x2
    Sound: SoundBlaster x-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    Net: On board
    PSU: OCZ 700W SLI GameXStream
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoRecon
    Deees,
    That is a nice clean install. That definately gives me some ideas as I am just putting my system together. Hoping the remaining parts will show up this week.
    Thanks,

One recommandation with this case:

If you even THINK you might want to run a cable somewhere, someday, drill the hole now!

I love this case. Definitely getting one in a couple of months for my new build

Quote Originally Posted by deees
    Bpj99,

Well, if Chancemax won’t show you his power cable hairball, I will.

P.S. Are you running the Scythe Infinity? I’m looking for an after-market cooler that’s compatible with the 900 and aw9d. I know the Infinity is AW9D-MAX compatible, (with some fan orientations), but wasn’t sure about the 900.
    Awesome install! I like the way you cut the holes, they look stock! Very nice.

I have the Scythe Infinity and it fits pretty well. I had to do some minor surgery on the fan mounted in the side panel because it touched the HSF.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjp999
    Awesome install! I like the way you cut the holes, they look stock! Very nice.
    Thanks,

I'm planning on tackling the harddrive cables this weekend. I don't think I'm going to go as far as you did, (reversing the drive mounting), but at least I want to run the cable behind the drive bays.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp999
    I have the Scythe Infinity and it fits pretty well. I had to do some minor surgery on the fan mounted in the side panel because it touched the HSF.
    Based on your pictures I took the chance and ordered mine. "Test" fit it last night. It's BIG. I know it will fit on the AW9D-MAX, (and apparently in both orientations), so I'm trying to decide which would be best. Right now I'm leaning toward mounting it which the long axis horizonal so the fan blows up through the vanes and out top fan. That job will have to wait until I receive the backing-plate I ordered so I can try a bolt-on mod like:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...88&postcount=1

I can also see that I'm going to have to lop off the corner of the side fan.

Xtreme Member
    wow really nice being a wire management night mare

Thanks,

I'm planning on tackling the harddrive cables this weekend. I don't think I'm going to go as far as you did, (reversing the drive mounting), but at least I want to run the cable behind the drive bays.

Based on your pictures I took the chance and ordered mine. "Test" fit it last night. It's BIG. I know it will fit on the AW9D-MAX, (and apparently in both orientations), so I'm trying to decide which would be best. Right now I'm leaning toward mounting it which the long axis horizonal so the fan blows up through the vanes and out top fan. That job will have to wait until I receive the backing-plate I ordered so I can try a bolt-on mod like:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...88&postcount=1

I can also see that I'm going to have to lop off the corner of the side fan.
    I also mounted my Scythe Infinity with screws based on the same post. It makes it so much easier to take off, and I think I get better contact as well. I didn't use a backplate, but it wouldn't hurt. The Infinity is a little tall, and I had to shave about 1/16 inch off a corner of the side fan with a dremel. It does not interfere with the blade at all. (If you do the same, wrap the fan up in a plastic bag or something so that none of the little shavings get into the fan mechanism.) I could only mount my Scythe as you see in the picture. If I'd been able to point is straight up, I probably would have, but the cooling is excellent as is.

Good luck with the drive cabling!

Wow.

I really dig the organization of that case.

I just got my 900 today but I don't think I'm anywhere near skilled enough to route the wires like that.

That said, I have them running in a semi-straight line straight up between the video card and the hard drive racks so it really doesn't look too terrible. My old Xaser III had a lot more cabling problems than this case. That's for sure.

And jesus lord the Tuniq and Scythe heatsinks are insanely huge!

Nice to know they'll fit in this case though... I'm debating on whether or not to keep the stock Intel cooler and deal with load temps in the 60s or rip everything all back out again just to put a new cooler on... This build took me a good hour and a half... longest build I've ever had outside of my first ever.

Definitely worth it though. This case is a LOT quieter than my old Thermaltake and temps dropped 14C just switching cases and replacing the thermal grease that was on the proc with AS5.

Antec 900 is for sale now at CompUSA for $89.99

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by rescando
    Antec 900 is for sale now at CompUSA for $89.99
    And they have a $25 rebate on it - makes it $65. At that price it is a screaming deal on a great air cooling case. I paid $120 for it a few months ago.
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

Wow..Just finished my first run with this case. It sure can get crammed up fast.
    The Do-Over
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
    CPU: Intel Quad Q9450
    CPU Cooling Swiftech H20-200 Compact
    Mem: Crucial Ballastix Tracer PC2-8000 x2 & PC2-8500 x2 (4GB)
    Video: eVGA 8800GTS x1
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA x2
    Sound: SoundBlaster x-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    Net: On board
    PSU: OCZ 700W SLI GameXStream
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoRecon
    Wow..Just finished my first run with this case. It sure can get crammed up fast.
    Yep - it seems like it because that big top fan gobbles up plenty of space. Speaking of which, has anyone modded theirs to switch out the molex power plug with a 3 or 4 pin?
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

I am Xtreme
    I have modded the 12cm fans but I wasn't sure the bigger fan could be supported by my mobo's power ouput, so I left it with the normal molex
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    All the nifty little holes you cut for wire management made me realize: my case is something I'm likely never going to return... I can do anything I want to it. =)))))))))))))))))) thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to try to mod my case a little bit for a cleaner look.

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D - R. AD0
    AMD Opteron 165 0610DPMW *904* - 2700Mhz @ 1.275
    Scythe Ninja w/ Yate Loon @ 30 idle / 40 load
    G.SKILL 2GB HZ PC4000
    XFX 7900GT @ 555/900
    OCZ Powerstream 520w
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
    NEC ND-3550A
    Lian Li PC-7B Plus II
    Dell 2007WFP

Just picked up this case yesterday at CompUSA for $90 ... and then found out Antec is offering a $25 rebate to boot.

Thanks for sharing your case mods & the pics, gives the rest of us some ideas for cable management

I'm pretty new to the whole DIY thing w/puters ... do you guys think it's possible to somehow get the fan speeds controlled from the outside, such as on a 5.25 bay or something?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelpo
    I'm pretty new to the whole DIY thing w/puters ... do you guys think it's possible to somehow get the fan speeds controlled from the outside, such as on a 5.25 bay or something?
    Yes and no. There are a ton of fan controllers available:

http://www.xoxide.com/5fanco1.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g36/...ntrollers.html

..etc.

The problem with LED fans is the PWM controllers can cause them to strobe, and the resistance-type can burn-out the LED's.

I replaced mine with non-led ones, (I did add two led's on a separate circuit to the front bays because I missed them).

Yes and no. There are a ton of fan controllers available:

http://www.xoxide.com/5fanco1.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g36/...ntrollers.html

..etc.

The problem with LED fans is the PWM controllers can cause them to strobe, and the resistance-type can burn-out the LED's.

I replaced mine with non-led ones, (I did add two led's on a separate circuit to the front bays because I missed them).
    The fans supplied with the Antec 900 each have a 3 speed switch attached (L/M/H). The cable is rather short. It wouldn't be that hard to cut these and splice in a longer piece of wire to collect all the switches and attach to something on the outside of the case (an expansion card cover plate comes to mind) to provide this type of coarse adjustment from outside. I ran mine behind the motherboard plate (except the 200mm one which was too short) to make it easier to adjust the switches in the future.

Deees, thanks for the info about there being problems with fan controllers and LED lighted fans. Never heard that before.

Xtreme Member
    After seeing some of the wire-management jobs in this thread, I decided to go back to my case and rewire the hard drives.

I added some new holes in the back of the drive bays:

The material is even thinner than behind the motherboard. You have to be careful not to warp the edges when cutting and drilling.

I increased the size of the slot at the bottom of the drive bays when I discovered that I could run the cables to the lower hard drive under the drive cage. The top drive is reached through the smaller slot. I removed the middle horizontal bar on the bottom cage so I could run the cables to the second hard drive.

To allow the removal of the drive cages, I attached the 3-wire connector to the cage and ran a 3-wire extension wire to the fan header.

Running the CDROM, Guru, USB/1394 wires through the upper slot simplified the routing on the back of the case. I didn’t have anything planned when I added the middle slot, (accept that I never want to drill another hole it this case again.)

The USB/1394 cables route through a hole inside the top lip of the case, (I stole that idea from bjp999.) I also drilled small holes directly under the tangs that hold the top of the case on so I can remove it easily. The 4 holes on the back of the motherboard tray are for access to the mounting hardware for the after-market HSF, (not mounted at the time of the photo.)

Everything put together with the new HSF unit, (Scythe Infinity). It’s big, (and as I can now see, slightly crooked).

The Infinity is so big, that I couldn’t get the door closed with the fan attached.

I cut out a new window panel from .093” acrylic, and attached the fan with #10 nylon counter-sunk flat-head screws. It turned out that the mounting holes are perfect for tapping with #10 threads, so I didn’t need to use nuts. I was originally planning on copying the attachment system of the original window, but ended up simply cutting the window larger on the two front edges and adding notches for the screws.

Here is the fan mounted in the new lower position:

..and the whole unit in position. If not the prettiest 900, certainly the lightest.

Xtreme Addict
    The Infinity is so big, that I couldn’t get the door closed with the fan attached.
    My Noctua is 5mm shorter than your Infinity. Any chance I won't have to move the side door fan? I like the fact you have the fan pushing air up to the fan on top, but am wondering why you didn't go with another 120mm on the Infinity in a push/pull configuration.

I've been staring at my 900 that has been sitting in a box in the corner for a few weeks now. Other builds have been keeping me busy, but now its time to think about getting my second game rig a home other than the top of a desk. You guys have put me in a mood to cut metal and manage wires. A lot of great work and ideas from all of you guys.
    Sourcing parts for a mildly over clocked abacus.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamit
    My Noctua is 5mm shorter than your Infinity. Any chance I won't have to move the side door fan?
    Measured from the side door frame, the top of my Infinity is about 28mm in. (The bolts stick up about 14mm, but they’re not an issue.) My problem is that the heatsink for the chipset forces the fan on the Infinity in the space for the door fan. (I wish the manufactures of computer components would release CAD models so system builders could “test fit” this stuff to check for interference.)

If your motherboard doesn’t have anything in this region, or your CPU is higher or farther forward, you shouldn’t have a problem. Also, the top of the HSF fan is about 20mm from the edge of the case, so even if everything is the same, you might squeak by.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamit

I like the fact you have the fan pushing air up to the fan on top, but am wondering why you didn't go with another 120mm on the Infinity in a push/pull configuration.
    I haven’t precluded this. I plan on buying a second hanger set, just in case. I not convinced that this is the next bottleneck in the thermal flow equation. Creating a low pressure flow over through the HSF won’t help as much as bringing more cool air into it. I’m currently researching alternative fans and still fine-tuning the HSF mounting system and TIM. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=120

100% Load 24/7
    One more for ya.

When I first put this together I could see that there would be a lot of work to get the cable management up to my usual level. I didn't have the time then, so I just did the best I could.

Just a couple examples of my previous work. Sorry no thumbnails on these.

So, here is what I had, with side open and closed.

I ended up cutting a 2" hole in the bottom for everything, 1" at the top for the 8 pin, dremeled out 2 holes for the dvd cable, 1 under the mb, and the other at the the hd cages. Also has to mod the bottom cage for the main drive, and still be able to use the fan there. Sorry I didn't take any pics until this was done. Here is the back with all the wires. Duct tape is my friend. This would be much easier with a modular psu. My powerstream has tons of cables that I don't use.

Now the finished product. Again with side open and closed.

Pretty pleased with the results. I do like this case. With the way the hd cages are set up for fans, I am able to pull in air over the ram, to the cpu, and then pull it out the back. Although, somehow one of my crucial 10th anniv. sticks died. Was working fine when I tore it down, but afterward the one stick will not post I just picked up some g skill hz from another member for a future build. Now I'm using them, so you may notice it in the before and after pics.
    Main Rig
    i7 2600k l Asus P8P67 l 2x2gb Gskill l GTS450 l Venomous X l XClio 680

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4N
    One more for ya.
    Nice job 4x4N! Thanks for posting.

Hope you never have to take all that duct tape off. Can you say gooey mess?

Note to other readers - the fan inside the case mounts to the back of an empty drive cage. If you are using more than 3 hard drives you can't use it.

Which fans on the 900 are removable?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lolinternet View Post
    Which fans on the 900 are removable?
    they all are so you can replace them if you want.
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Very nice review. Great cable job there aswell.

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast