Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a v-core mod- ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Overclocking Guru

I need a v-core mod- ASUS P5N32-E SLI

I’m looking for a v-core mod for the ASUS P5N32-E SLI.
    http://vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4277

Here is the Data Sheet for the IC. http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...D/ADP3198.html

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

OPP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_00112.JPG 
Views:	2980 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	53661  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    My guess, it's going to be the same vmod as on ASUS P5B Deluxe (965P), P5W DH (975X), etc - it's exactly the same controller...
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 12-08-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    My guess, it's going to be the same vmod as on ASUS P5B Deluxe (965P), P5W DH (975X), etc - it's exactly the same controller...

Good point. I guess I will try and solder a 50k VR the point on the picture below.

Thanks,

OPP

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2676 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	53662  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly... It looks like an alternative to Pin #4 (FB) on that ADP3198...

Xtreme Addict
    Please keep us updated.

Overclocking Guru
    I was wrong above,

You attach a 50k on the other side.
    Like this picture.

OPP

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2744 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	53671  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPPAINTER
    I was wrong above, You attach a 50k on the other side.
    Like this picture.
    OPP
    Hehe, I was about to say to possibly do a continuity check using your multimeter, because upon closer look, it seemed like trace from #4 ends on the right side, not left...

Glad you caught it, Eric

IT Engineer in the making
    And please don't just use a 50K trimmer, for trial and error. Measure resistance between pin#4 and ground and then you can select an appropriate resistance value for the trimmer. You could be lucky and it's OK with the 50K trimmer, but double checking doesn't cost you much. On the other hand, a damaged VCore circuit isn't the best thing.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig
    And please don't just use a 50K trimmer, for trial and error. Measure resistance between pin#4 and ground and then you can select an appropriate resistance value for the trimmer. You could be lucky and it's OK with the 50K trimmer, but double checking doesn't cost you much. On the other hand, a damaged VCore circuit isn't the best thing.

If vcore mod is the same as P5B Dlx 50k VR is ok, also ...

Controler is the same as Bad Axe, well 50K VR is good from pin 4.

Red marked is point soldering. ( This is from XBX )

Regards

Martin

Life sometimes gets in the way of what we want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL K-ce
    If vcore mod is the same as P5B Dlx 50k VR is ok, also ...

Controler is the same as Bad Axe, well 50K VR is good from pin 4.

Red marked is point soldering. ( This is from XBX )

[/IMG]http://u-san.net/c-board/file/D975XBX-ADP3189.jpg[/IMG]

Regards

Martin
    And who gives you 100% safety that they all use the same reference circuit? I know that the circuit is most likely very similar when the same controller is used, but it's not always like that. You never know. That's why I said that he shoud double check.

Safety first.

Overclocking Guru
    The 50k worked fine and all is well.
    Just solder a 50k VR to this point http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...81&postcount=6
    and then to ground. Start off at 50k and then decrease your resistance for higher voltage.
    Thats it.

OPP
    Last edited by OPPAINTER; 12-09-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Then everything is fine. But you know that it could've gone wrong? All you need to do for these mods, instead of guessing the resistance, is measuring and then choosing a resitance value that doesn't influence the original resistance much. You use the formular for parallel resistors to check it.

Xtreme Legend
    Then everything is fine. But you know that it could've gone wrong? All you need to do for these mods, instead of guessing the resistance, is measuring and then choosing a resitance value that doesn't influence the original resistance much. You use the formular for parallel resistors to check it.
    The resistance is usually within the same range, and I'm sure OPP did a check that the spot is the same as pin4/FB on the IC.
    A 50k would only decrease resistance ~2% over the reference, a 20k ~5%, so it's safe

"In mild doses, ethylene produces states of euphoria, associated with stimulus
    to the pleasure centres of the human brain."

Intel benching: 3DMark Vantage: E69642, P37253, H30363, X22138
    Swedish Overclocking Champion 2006 - Celeron Mobile 1400 @ 4243MHz - 203%

Quote Originally Posted by crotale
    The resistance is usually within the same range, and I'm sure OPP did a check that the spot is the same as pin4/FB on the IC.
    A 50k would only decrease resistance ~2% over the reference, a 20k ~5%, so it's safe
    He didn't mention anything about measuring the original resistance, that's why I got a bit sceptical.
    I don't doubt that Oppainter usually knows what he's doing, but for people reading this thread it looks like guessing the trimmer resistance would be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure that those poeple realize that it's no mystery, but just formulas.

Before I started learning about EE, I always asked myself how the voltmodders knew what resitance to use, because noone ever said how they knew. That's why I wrote what I wrote.
    Last edited by celemine1Gig; 12-09-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    How about v droop?......anyone

E6600 week 28, Asus P5B vanilla, 4.64Ghz,P5B vanilla w/ Vmods, vapochill and other stuff, Super Pi 1M = 11.0000s

QX6700 on EVGA 680i w/ twin 8800 GTX's SLI

Second Place hwbot 3DMark06 Sli 20999 (12/2/06 till ...???)

Xtreme Legend
    As one of the earliest volt modders I always use a VR equal to roughly 20 times the measured resistance, which results in ~5% change in the resistance.

OPP is an experienced volt modder so he knows what to do.

DDTUNG
    XtremeSystems - we overclock and crunch you to the ground

I left the optimized files on three 3GHz P4 HTs. Ban me.

Quote Originally Posted by rjw
    How about v droop?......anyone
    Please measure resistance between pin#16(CSSUM) and pin#17(CSCOMP), on the ADP3198 or on any solder pads or other contacts that are directly connected to these pins..

Xtreme Addict
    I see a lot of mentions about these mods and attaching the other side to ground. What exactly are you grounding it to? Is there a way to test this with a pencil mod?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Please measure resistance between pin#16(CSSUM) and pin#17(CSCOMP), on the ADP3198 or on any solder pads or other contacts that are directly connected to these pins..
    58.9k to 59k

sorry it took so long....had to haul out the board

E6600 week 28, Asus P5B vanilla, 4.64Ghz,P5B vanilla w/ Vmods, vapochill and other stuff, Super Pi 1M = 11.0000s

58.9k to 59k

sorry it took so long....had to haul out the board
    No need to be sorry. I am not the one waiting for the mod. If you had no time to measure, you had no time. I can absolutely understand that as I'm also quite time limited ATM.

OK, now for the mod, I'd try a 1 MOhm (in words, one Mega Ohm = 1000 K Ohm) trimmer potentiometer connected between pin#16 and pin#17. With the trimmer set to maximum resistance you change the original value by about 6-7%, which should be OK. So, start with maximum resistance and then tune it down in order to lower the droop voltage. Hope it works.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    No need to be sorry. I am not the one waiting for the mod. If you had no time to measure, you had no time. I can absolutely understand that as I'm also quite time limited ATM.

OK, now for the mod, I'd try a 1 MOhm (in words, one Mega Ohm = 1000 K Ohm) trimmer potentiometer connected between pin#16 and pin#17. With the trimmer set to maximum resistance you change the original value by about 6-7%, which should be OK. So, start with maximum resistance and then tune it down in order to lower the droop voltage. Hope it works.
    I have to see if I can scare up a 1 Meg vr

Actually , the only reason I took the board out is because I am thinking of hitting it with a sledge hammer...

It has not been cooperating lately. It doesn't really care for any of my mem sticks, which all work fine in my evga board, etc. etc...blah, blah,blah...

So, when I scare up a vr, I will try it out and then try to beat on it some more.

I kind of ruxh installed this board, so I am probably just overlooking something to get it straight, but so far it has been a pain...all the mem that works in the evga just doesn't work as well in this board.

I was running 3-3-3-8 -20-1T at 866Mhz religiously on my evga and this board won't even boot with the same sticks!!! at anything but 2t

I flashed back to 0202, 0302...guess I'll try the latest (barf) bios again.

I am into a benching mode lately, so just looking for the fastest combo at the moment, without having to deal with the weaning process associated with a NEW board.

Thanks for the info, will give it a try and report back, if someone else doen't try it first.

Should be an easy mod, pins 16 and 17 got out to some big solder pads close by.

I may let the smoke clear a bit on this board before putting back into service again.

HVAC/R student
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitte
    I see a lot of mentions about these mods and attaching the other side to ground. What exactly are you grounding it to? Is there a way to test this with a pencil mod?
    Yes, where do you ground it
    ...is no longer working as an assistant HVAC/R-installer...
    But, is still blasting 20000 songs of real Rap

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    On any mb, If you are unsure of where to ground, use the small solder spots around any of the holes that are used to bolt the mb to the case.

Normally you can find other grounds , but when unsure, those are the places.

Quote Originally Posted by Big SturL
    Yes, where do you ground it
    Get a multimeter, set it to continuity mode, connect one lead to a known ground point (the screw holes for example) and with the other lead you probe around for a ground point near the vmod location.

Alternatively you could also get the datasheet of the chip you do the vmod on, or any other chip nearby and check that for ground locations. And if the pins on those chips are too small, then just use the same probing procedure as described above with the screw holes. One lead to the chips ground and then probe for directly connected ground spots. That's also how you find alternative solder points for any vmod.

I have to see if I can scare up a 1 Meg vr
    Forgot to mention: You can also use two 500K potentiometers connected in series. Or perhaps even 3 if you want to have less influence on the original circuit. Availability for 500K trimmer potentiometers should be no problem.
    Last edited by celemine1Gig; 12-12-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey opp did it help? This board seems crappy stock as far as voltage goes. I have a hole between 1.36v (after droop) and 1.5v (after droop) no matter what I set in BIOS. Getting rid of the droop should bring me up to 1.38-1.39v. Since I went back to air 1.5v is way too high. It idles about 60C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast