Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOST POWERFULL 12V PSU EVER...

Xtreme Cruncher

Incredibly Amazing...

Incredible, simple incredible. I'm amazed by your pure curage and knowledge to build it. Totally subscribed

By the way. The irony of an earlier post from this topic dawns on me.
    The fact that I feel encouraged to also listen better in on my physics lessons from now on, clashes with the fact That I am sitting in a physics class right now, reading XS on my laptop insted of listening in. Oh the irony

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    Important thing to remember Alexio is that these specs are for with the PSU will be capable of not what they'll be running 24/7. Of course there's not going to be an occasion that the many of these lines will ever draw the current George is designing it for. But, if you can do it, then do it! Overspecing will in fact allow for a cooler design as the power circuits will be under less "stress" to provide power requirements that are closer to their maximum, so will produce less waste heat.
    True to some point, but remember that maximum efficiency is achieved at 70-80% of the maximum load on consumer PSU's. I don't know George's design of the PSU ofcourse. You are probable right that less current per components + more components ( more surface area) will result in a lower operating temperature.

1.8kW do it George
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    George will you use a capacitance multiplier?

i have an active amp psu I built from a kit here, basiaclly an rc filter feeding a mosfet stage. Virtually no ripple at 72v output and upto 10amp current draw. Circuit ofcourse is ip of a friend of mine called Dr David White.

You should get far better overclock ability using a conventional linear supply.

There would definatley be a market for a linear psu for the cpu, I think a good supply using a mosfet output stage and real low ripple would give a 100-200mhz advantage in overclocking over conventional switchmode pus's we use.

I am very interested in your results buddy..

regards
    Raja

Xtreme Member
    Looks like i'll have to go to Greece to holiday next year

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by raju
    You should get far better overclock ability using a conventional linear supply.

There would definatley be a market for a linear psu for the cpu, I think a good supply using a mosfet output stage and real low ripple would give a 100-200mhz advantage in overclocking over conventional switchmode pus's we use.
    I agree with you that a linear design will be nice, but I really doubt that you'll get a 100-200MHz better OC just by switching the PSU. The switching VCore supply on the mainboard still remains.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig
    I agree with you that a linear design will be nice, but I really doubt that you'll get a 100-200MHz better OC just by switching the PSU. The switching VCore supply on the mainboard still remains.
    can you guess someone who's lunatic enough to override the Vcore switching supply with even lets say ... a maximizer?
    if this is your first night in xtremesystems,
    you have to overclock.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by esdee
    can you guess someone who's lunatic enough to override the Vcore switching supply with even lets say ... a maximizer?

haha, he almost did that on the dothan!!!

I thought the maxi could only outout 115w though? sureley not enough for CPU.

YouTube Addict
    HOW many rails?
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5
    As tittle says....

It will NOT be with 4 separate 12V rails BUT with ONE 12V and all the cables will be feeded in paraller from that rail......
    One rail to rule them all.

c[_]
    well crud, and here I was thinking i'd be the smart one by strapping a pair of 60A @ 12v PSU's together.. then I see this lol

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Thanks guys for encouraging me....Though I don't have a lot of spare time, I'll try to do it as complicated as I can....

2 x 8x8cm DELTA fans high output cfms will be used for the heatsinks in puss-pull config....
    They will be thermally controlled though....As the temp of the heatsinks goes up, the rpms of the fans will rise automatically and visa-versa.....

Point is, I'm on a dilemma right now about the 12V feed back circuit......Should I get feedback reading from the CPU's slot from the VGA's slot OR should I use them ALL....
    "Feedback reading" for those who don't know, is a reading that is been taken from the VERY END of a cable line and by this, the voltage stabilizer circuit "repairs/fixes" it's output voltage so as to be "stabilized" at the voltage we have peaked....

I can chose the very end cable line of the cpu's feeding or vga's feeding OR - more complicated though - ALL of the 12V readings (cpu's, 2 x vga's, etc) and then add the readings and devided them /3 ....Then take this "mixed" reading and with this, control the 12V stabilized output....OR no need for all this shi(f)t....
    Last edited by hipro5; 12-08-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

c[_]
    why not take the reading at the end of the (PSU) PCB where the cables/wires attach?

If you have a droop situation at one location and not another and the PSU compensates for this then you will have overvoltage at one point.

With thick enough cables and good enough connectors there wouldnt be any issues unless the PSU itself couldnt hold the load.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    why not take the reading at the end of the (PSU) PCB where the cables/wires attach?

If you have a droop situation at one location and not another and the PSU compensates for this then you will have overvoltage at one point.

With thick enough cables and good enough connectors there wouldnt be any issues unless the PSU itself couldnt hold the load.
    Because of the long cables, you HAVE to take the feedback reading at the very end of them so as to be more accurate of your output voltage even if they are thick enough - There's always a droop in them....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

c[_]
    Yes, but you dont want to overcompensate for something which will be little or no problem given use of the proper cables.

Xtreme Addict
    I'd say measure from VGA as this will be the larger of the current draws -> most likely to droop. Mixing the feedback may not be such a good idea as what usually happens is the feedback circuit only partly compensates for a voltage droop and none of the end supplies are fully corrected.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Although possibly not likely nvidia and Ati are both now putting out video cards and motherboards which could theoretically have 3 SLi 'd XF'd ..so I would have 6 Pcie cables on the psu. Not sure how that would effect your calulations for amps / power needed either ?

Of course the 3rd slot and double Sli connectors might be a for a gpu based physics card which needs not much at all

Best to be prepared though, just in case.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Member
    will this beast fit in an ATX-size case? how huge will it be :P ?
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 4000MHz ~1,192V
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120
    MSI P35 NEO2-FIR (bios v1.8)
    ADATA 2*2GB DDR2 800+ EE
    ASUS Geforce 8800GT 512MB + Accelero S1
    Seasonic S12-600

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    haha, he almost did that on the dothan!!!
    well he actually did it on the dothans board NB ...
    if this is your first night in xtremesystems,
    you have to overclock.

Xtreme Member
    give the fhoto man

YouTube Addict
    Be sure to keep the ripple down man, otherwise it'll be harder to get world record overclocks
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by prosk8
    give the fhoto man
    he broke his camera, so no pics for some time...

can't wait to see if this psu 'll help in OC reults
    DFI ICFX3200 07/30 w/ MCW30
    E6600 L632A407 w/ EK Supreme
    Powercolor HD3870 w/ MCW60
    OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CAS4
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Silverstone Strider 750W
    MM U2-UFO Extended CYO
    CPU & NB loop = PA120.3, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    VGA loop = PA120.2, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    10 fans on 7V, PX-750A, all on SM 930BF

" Having a DFI board is like having a hot girlfriend thats a total b1tch" ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipi
    Looks like i'll have to go to Greece to holiday next year
    Do not forget to bring batteries.

Xtreme Recruit
    haha, makes my PCP&C look like a toy

Xtreme Member
    HIPRO GET A camera and fast man

or you can send like hamm 8 your supply to me and i do the fhoto and extreme overclock

Xtreme Addict
    would this great invention beat out those PCP&C 1kwatt PSU ?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast