Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid 4kg copper container

Xtreme Member
    I have done dryice tests with that gpu container now and it was pretty intresting. I mounted the container from two places to see what kind of effect those internals has on temps. I was bit worried it might not work so good with dryice.

The temps were -13c when mounted from the place 1 that it is meant to mount from. With mount place 2 temps were only -6c so that cross internal actually gives nice little improvement to cooling efficiency

Those temperatures arent very good but they arent so bad either when considering this is just gpu container and made from aluminium. Just for example basic 64mm diameter brazed copper cpu-container with grooved bottom gives -23c.

I also tested the cpu-container after that weight reducement and for my suprise it gave -38c so actually 2c improvement to last test. This is just because that earlier test was made quickly with first single mount so contact was better now.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Member
    My curiosity took over and i had to make aluminium version just to see the difference in temps between the two materials. Again the container is made of alloy 6082 which thermal conductivity is only 180 W/m*K.

I quickly tested it in the 160w bench and it gave -17c so there is about 20c difference with copper version. Even though this container model is more suitable for ln2 i would still make conclusion that its pretty hard task to make solid aluminium container that could beat well made brazed container with dryice.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12