Thread: WCers on the Go, My Simple Drainage System

Xtreme Member

WCers on the Go, My Simple Drainage System

I take my PC to several LAN parties and whenever I travel on the road. With the winter now upon me I had to figure out a way to quickly drain my water loop without disassembling. It took me a while to figure out how to drain the entire loop without missing much water. It took me a while but this is what I came up with.

The basic idea is simple. When I need to drain the system I close the ball valve an siphon out the water through the drainage line. When I need to refill it I just put the fill port tube in a gallon jug of distilled water and use a similar method to fill it.

This also has an added bonus that I now have a quick way to flush the system if I want to change to mixture of the water around a bit.

I bought the t blocks, ball valve, and hose barbs for around $30 at a local hardware and plumbing store.

*Note, I don't have a digicam so I have to draw out what it looks like. Sue Me.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 12-01-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    This idea should work out well. I'm using a similar method for my new setup. I have a t-fitting before the pump to fill and as water exits the pump I have another t-fitting (to drain plug) and then the ball valve. This way I can leave the pump on and close the ball valve and let the pump work the water out of the system. I just have to turn the pump off as soon as the water runs out.
    Core i7 930 @ 3.8 1.24v
    Asus P6X58D Premium
    6 gb G.Skill Pi 1600
    Diamond 4870
    Corsair 750HX
    Intel X25-V SSD
    2 x WD 640gb black
    Lian li PC-70
    Asus MS238H LED Monitor
    H2O: Thermochill 120.3, MCP 655 pump, EK Supreme HF (nickel/acetal), San Ace fans

Xtreme Member
    I'm kind of curious as to why you have to drain your system to transport? I've ran a LANParty for about two years and take my two watercooled computers everytime and never drain them. We have another 4 members that have water cooled computers that never drain theres to transport.

Although it does look like a nice way to clean out old coolant.

Xtreme Member
    I'd love to see a pic of this. I just cant seem to picture it.

go buy a camera

Xtreme Member
    I live in the upper Midwest. Outside temperatures can change incredibly fast. In the summer it's hot enough to cause the water to expand just to the point where a connection or two might burst from pressure (happened to a friend, his car smelt of coolant for days). And in the winter leaving computer in the car for just ten minutes is enough for a line to freeze. True the odds of these actually happening is relatively low, but my luck so bad I don't want to take the risk.

Also, the actual piece of plumbing looks a hell of a lot worse than the drawing.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 12-02-2006 at 05:34 PM.