Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard preperation and installation using a LN2/DI unit the clean and easy way

-_-
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    What kind of plumbing center is that? How are they going to insulate water pipes?
    They had plenty of insulation in their warehouse..... He told me that they use it in such places as cold/hot pipes in grocery stores and houses w/ basements.....but none of it was of the same density or size that I needed.

I was kind of desperate as you can see
    Last edited by Brian y.; 03-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can somebody upload the guide again.No pics ;(
    Greetings from Bulgaria

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mup0 View Post
    Can somebody upload the guide again.No pics ;(
    Working fine here.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Great guide Vince

Are there any other opinions regarding the use of grease in the socket? That has always been a messy thing and kind of annoying in case you want to use the board in a 24/7 manner after the benching session. I have never tried not to use any.
    From the mixed results on page 1, I am still not fully convinced not to use it.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Admin
    In my most humble opinion, I believe that someone starting out should. Vince has more experience under LN2 than pretty much the rest of XS combined. On the other hand, if you accidentally manage to leave the slightest crack in your insulation when starting out, you can easily get some moisture around or in the socket area. If it trickles down, your CPU and mobo could easily be done for. I'm being sort of an alarmist here as the chances of this happening are very slim, but you wouldn't care about the odds if it happened to you.

It's definitely not necessary, and if you don't use it you'll probably be fine. It's just extra insurance in keeping your hardware safe. Takes only a second to apply so I always do it. Most of my board's sockets are full of grease consequently whether I'm on air, phase change or LN2.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Applying it is not the problem ^ ^ removing is :/ I know some peeps putting their boards into a oven at 60C up-side-down to remove the stuff.

When I didn't remove it once, I had vaseline dripping onto the video card, when it got hot and that is something that makes me freak out. I hate messy stuff like that or thermal paste all over the place :P

Another thing: Do you put nail polish on mosfets too? I only use it for the lags and leave the top untouched. And how about capacitors? Some guys put glue with a hot glue gun on the downside of (non-solid) caps. I usually leave them basically untouched, but I can count my sub zero runs with one hand, so that aint worth much

Some guys put vaseline or another grease into the pci slots and the like as well when benching LN2. Dont you use anything like that at all Vince?

I guess it cant be wrong for beginners to use vaseline or something similar in the socket and slots. When you think you know what you are doing, you dont need to use it any longer I suppose. That way I will never stop using it lol.
    But better safe than sorry.

Its interesting how people insulate their boards in a different way when you google about this topic.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Addict
    How hard is it to remove nail polish? I hope its nothing like armaflex, had to give my commando a few acetone baths to get that crap out .....
    E8400 DFI LP P35T2R Ballistix

8800GTS PCP&C 1.2kw Raptors

E6600 =5400mhz
    E6700=5680mhz
    QX9650= 6000mhz

Xtreme Member
    ^Yeah I'm dreading ever having to completely remove the insulation from my DFI. The Frost King I got is incredibly sticky, and it's so thin that it tears immediately if you're not really particular about taking it off.

Nail polish shouldn't be bad though, just use some acetone, shouldn't be a problem.

I've never used vaseline or anything like that, and don't plan to, even when I move up to Ln2 (soon hopefully). Too much mess involved for me, and if I do kill the board despite vaseline, that's just one more thing to clean out before RMA.

good guide.
    Last edited by vampire338; 07-29-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: wrong post

Banned
    This guide is great , however there is 1 small BIG problem...

getting the same insulation...

i drove to various shops and they all look at it you as in wtf you need what?

Pitty cause this more then properly done.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardyMan View Post
    This guide is great , however there is 1 small BIG problem...

getting the same insulation...

i drove to various shops and they all look at it you as in wtf you need what?

Pitty cause this more then properly done.
    yeah i have noticed that too that grey insulation stuff is like nowhere to be found.. but its ok cos you really don't have to use the exact materials to make a good insulation.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post
    yeah i have noticed that too that grey insulation stuff is like nowhere to be found.. but its ok cos you really don't have to use the exact materials to make a good insulation.
    Yeah some shops might probably have it, but disquised in a secret name

How do they call it actually?

Champion
    Here I found it under the name of K-Flex ( I am talking about that thick black neoprene we all use to wrap around the pot).
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Haha same, I went around Home Depot... walked aroun 30 times around frost king section, and never found that same Frost King pipe wrap insulation. They had pipe insulation, but not the same type. I couldn't find the wide one, so I went to amazon and found this. http://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-SP41...370782-6711143

The best I found on amazon. 3'' wide is good enough to cover around the socket. If not, then I'll just use two pieces.
    Last edited by Jass; 09-02-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I like to use armaflex tape around the socket as it avoids the need to cut around for caps etc. Your shop towels idea is seconded!! They saved my cpu in my last benching session (I'd imagine)
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Xtreme Legend
    KP great guide but the images are not loading well

some do and some don't

can you rehost it please
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme XIP
    Great guide Vince , this guide answered all the questions i had about propper insulation method. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

chispy.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    KP great guide but the images are not loading well

some do and some don't

can you rehost it please
    Still problems guys?

Xtreme Legend
    no more issues loading up fine now
    maybe US><AUS connections were a bit funky that day donno

Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Mentor
    Very nice! That is one awesome guide!

Xtreme Member
    thank you for this nice guide. btw those round pipe insulation, are those made from polyethylene? dont those cause testicular cancer or something? i guess you dont chew or them or anything anyway :p
    Last edited by dduckquack; 10-31-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    did i just say that? i was just thinking aloud

Xtreme Addict
    This guide actually made it allot easier for me to come to the conclusion that ln2/DICE is my next step in overclocking. Thank KP, perfect guide, from a true legend.

Now I just have to find all of the hardware lol.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    How effective is Vaseline jelly for use as insulation layer on motherboard surface instead of say nail polish which will be hard to get off?

Primary Rig
    Intel Xeon W3520 @4200Mhz 24x7, 1.200v load (3845A935)
    Gigabyte X58A-UD7
    Patriot Viper II DDR3 2000 CL8
    Tagan BZ1300
    DeepCool Gamer Storm with 2x120mm DeepCool fans.
    MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II
    Zotac GTX 470 AMP edition.
    GPU collection : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=64

Rig2
    Phenom II x4 965
    MSI 790GX-GD65
    2GBx2 Corsair DDR3 1333
    Tagan tg500-u37
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    XFX 9600GT

Banned
    Great guide, by this summer I will be up and benching on LN2! (I can get it for free from my job - im a computer repair at a local college... they also have an extensive CNC dept, Im making nicenice with the dept head lol)

Banned
    One other question: Am I hallcianting or did you also put a layer of the heavy duty towels under the northbridge heatsink? (this is the 30th time Ive read the thread and just noticed that little bit of blue pokling out from under neath the NB)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast