Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MJ12 Claimed another internet victim

Quote Originally Posted by vaiodeux
    They want your rigs not your brains
    Ah... I don't have many rigs yet, and they are either shutdown at the moment or crunch data (processing new urls) - shortly they will be indexing 24/7 and then merging data into searchable index, once done they will be used for searching - that's heavy stuff guys, I am aiming to reach 10 bln index and it must search as fast as Google, or at least very close to it - don't like crap search engines and can't expect others to!

So can't just now put rigs to do other crunching 24/7 as crawling for url is just part of the problem, unfortunately

Wandersome Cruncher
    Best stress test them with folding in the meantime
    MJ12 and folding play nice
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

It is tough call - I will need to be sure that search servers respond very fast to search queries, a lot of work in this direction will be done start pretty much in a week time, I will see what can be done in Q1 2007 - I should get more boxes by then, and once I know search patterns I might be able to put high cpu usage clients on a few of them. Sorry if this sounds disappointing and rather indecisive

I am Xtreme

Talking We still want you around

Never forget we can always use witty statements around here
    (Not to mention good insights )
    & the stuff I was talking about was mostly from a 'marketing' standpoint, so didn't know if it would be worth it anyway.

Keep popping in, always nice to have visitors

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic-12
    Ah... I don't have many rigs yet, and they are either shutdown at the moment or crunch data (processing new urls) - shortly they will be indexing 24/7 and then merging data into searchable index, once done they will be used for searching - that's heavy stuff guys, I am aiming to reach 10 bln index and it must search as fast as Google, or at least very close to it - don't like crap search engines and can't expect others to!

So can't just now put rigs to do other crunching 24/7 as crawling for url is just part of the problem, unfortunately

Wandersome Cruncher
    It is tough call - I will need to be sure that search servers respond very fast to search queries, a lot of work in this direction will be done start pretty much in a week time, I will see what can be done in Q1 2007 - I should get more boxes by then, and once I know search patterns I might be able to put high cpu usage clients on a few of them. Sorry if this sounds disappointing and rather indecisive
    I don't mind........not in their team anyway
    Just passing thru

It is a pleasure to drop by

I am sorry I could not firmly promise I will take part in other projects because very heavy processing will start here very shortly, in a matter of weeks and what's worse Google spoiled people (and this includes me) to offer very fast searches, personally I have very low tolerance for slow search and currently MJ12 search is slow - this must be fixed and I have good plan for that, but having processes running at 100% CPU (even at idle priority) may or may not seriously increase time required to do search, that's why I can't commit myself before I do more work and see what the score is.

I think however it will be possible to dedicate couple of boxes to other distributed projects, I used to take part in distributed.net RC64 challenge

I am Xtreme

Talking As I bounce back & forth

I've seen one of google's 'satellite' sights
    30,000+ servers in racks as far as the eye could see (& that is just ONE site)

That makes it a very tough act to follow....

It is a pleasure to drop by

I am sorry I could not firmly promise I will take part in other projects because very heavy processing will start here very shortly, in a matter of weeks and what's worse Google spoiled people (and this includes me) to offer very fast searches, personally I have very low tolerance for slow search and currently MJ12 search is slow - this must be fixed and I have good plan for that, but having processes running at 100% CPU (even at idle priority) may or may not seriously increase time required to do search, that's why I can't commit myself before I do more work and see what the score is.

I think however it will be possible to dedicate couple of boxes to other distributed projects, I used to take part in distributed.net RC64 challenge

Quote Originally Posted by mad mikee
    That makes it a very tough act to follow....
    Well worth trying to though

And if it happens that CPU cycles could be spared then I would certainly put some other stuff to run

Well worth trying to though

And if it happens that CPU cycles could be spared then I would certainly put some other stuff to run
    Why not try your spare CPU cycles on Seventeenorbust, or 'SOB' as it is called. http://www.seventeenorbust.com/. We have our own sub section here.... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...play.php?f=210
    What type of machines do you/will you have at your diposal?

That project is a setup and forget project, perfect for a busy man...

Its all about finding the last of the Sierpinski Primes. 9 discovered, 8 to go...

EDIT: There's loads of people viewing the MJ-12 section tonight

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide
    Why not try your spare CPU cycles on Seventeenorbust, or 'SOB' as it is called. http://www.seventeenorbust.com/. We have our own sub section here.... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...play.php?f=210
    What type of machines do you/will you have at your diposal?

That project is a setup and forget project, perfect for a busy man...

Its all about finding the last of the Sierpinski Primes. 9 discovered, 8 to go...

SHUT UP!!!

I don't care what he does, as long as he joins XS
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Wandersome Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijn
    SHUT UP!!!

I don't care what he does, as long as he joins Crunchers Inc

Mr. Boardburner
    StFU, n00b

Main rig:

Wandersome Cruncher
    noob?

Huuuuuuuuuuuurumph

The main constraint for me is to be sure that search speed is not affected, which might not be possible under condition when CPUs are 100% used even if they are on idle priority - problem is with low latency required by searchers, ie fast response from server. Sorry again for not giving straight committment - I don't like promising things that may not be done, but I can promise that I will look into it in Q1 2007: I expect to get 4 more dual core servers, and think a couple of them might be loaded up with some CPU crunching.

Going out to pub for a few beers, cheers all!

Wandersome Cruncher
    I find MJ12 slightly slows other projects....not the other way around.

Mr. Boardburner
    The main constraint for me is to be sure that search speed is not affected, which might not be possible under condition when CPUs are 100% used even if they are on idle priority - problem is with low latency required by searchers, ie fast response from server. Sorry again for not giving straight committment - I don't like promising things that may not be done, but I can promise that I will look into it in Q1 2007: I expect to get 4 more dual core servers, and think a couple of them might be loaded up with some CPU crunching.

Of course we understand. Cheers on the beer
    Main rig:

Enjoy the beers. I'll be putting a note in my diary for the 1st of Jan HAHA! 4 Dual cores. Niiiiice.

Oh Martijn... your not going for beers! Get inside and do your homework Little brat!

Mr. Boardburner
    Oh Martijn... your not going for beers! Get inside and do your homework Little brat!
    I'm 16, you bastard

Oh, I forgot drinking is over 18 in Ireland

Have a
    Main rig:

I find MJ12 slightly slows other projects....not the other way around.
    Yes, that's because you run MJ12node - this is just part of the problem: when data is crawled it needs to be indexed, merged and then searched, plus I need to regularly (about once a month) deal with new urls to create new work units, last time it took whole week to do it (deduplicating 50 bln urls is not fast)

So, basically what I am saying is that I have to run very heavy CPU tasks here, and worse once search is up on many boxes I will need to be sure latency is not affected, I think this is doable with new index format I will work on this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn
    I'm 16, you bastard

Oh, I forgot drinking is over 18 in Ireland

Have a
    Most people start here at 13-15 .. anyways

so .... the argument stands...GET BACK IN AND DO YOU HOMEWORK!!!! HA HA`!

Mr. Boardburner
    so .... the argument stands...GET BACK IN AND DO YOU HOMEWORK!!!! HA HA`!
    Hmmm.... Homework?

Can you eat it?
    Main rig:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mad mikee
    You just go play w/ the Scot ....

Speaking of which - Where is Mc Intosh , another fun person
    Reporting

This Scot is still going full speed, without complaints from ISP.. I don't even want to know what i downed last 30 days... not counting numerous DVD's from usenet...

Very sorry to hear some people are cut off, i'd go 's

Mean while M&M are everyone besides that PY222... can't seem to get him.... time that more members join the M&M manglers
    Running @ AMD 64 X2 4200+ & AMD 64 3400+

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can someone explain to me how you can pull 90GB a month with legit web traffic?

If you're just leeching warez off newsgroups 24/7 then you deserve to be cut off.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel
    Can someone explain to me how you can pull 90GB a month with legit web traffic?

If you're just leeching warez off newsgroups 24/7 then you deserve to be cut off.
    Try running majestic and you'll be able to answer that questios. On a good day, 90gig will fall in 2 days, maybe less. I have used 1tb for the month of November. Time for a defrag.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Admin
    Heh, I was doing 90GB every 10 hours

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast