Thread: Dry ice questions

Xtreme Member

Dry ice questions

hi all,

furst of all I have been looking around for information about this but i am stil a bit confused
    Hence i am starting to build my lab, I thought it was time to get myself some really cold cooling systems.
    I was thinking about LNē but it seems a bit strange to go really cold when i do not have any experience with cooling stuf below 0°C. Sow Dry Ice seems a good starting point.
    But, what kind of pot do I use?? For Lnē i would use an Dragon F1 for cpu and a Tek 5.0slim for gpu. But does it also work with Dry Ice??
    But how long could you store this stuf and in what container?

And last but not least is the insulation process simelar to LNē insulating?

greetings,
    nigel
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

Xtreme Member
    Dry ice is good for the beginning. Pots which you mentioned works nice with ln2 and dice. Insulating process is the same, ln2 needs some more insulation, that's main difference. You can store dice in styrofoam box, which usually can buy in the same place, where you buying dice.

http://www.bartxstore.com/- Standard and Extreme Cooling Components

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartx View Post
    Dry ice is good for the beginning. Pots which you mentioned works nice with ln2 and dice. Insulating process is the same, ln2 needs some more insulation, that's main difference. You can store dice in styrofoam box, which usually can buy in the same place, where you buying dice.
    thanks for the fast reply. And are there more things i need to think about?
    For instance booting the rig with a temp of -30°C and adding more pellets during the bench?

And those pots shall be orderd ^^

Xtreme Member
    Cold bugs are different for every chip so where to boot it up is questionable, however most chips don't have issues with cold bug and dry ice as it just isn't cold enough. I do have a friend who has boot bug at -30, which is a shame because that chip is golden otherwise, but he's the only person i've seen with one that high... but i am not nearly the experienced veteran that many of the other users are, and i actually skipped DICE because i went from phase to ln2.

Xtreme Member
    hmm intresting

Wanna look under my kilt?
    http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=461

Heres a thread about dry ice in practice Hopefully answers a lot of questions.

I'd uy a cheap pot to start with so you can see if its really the direction you want to take your benching in, without spending too much money
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=461

Heres a thread about dry ice in practice Hopefully answers a lot of questions.

I'd uy a cheap pot to start with so you can see if its really the direction you want to take your benching in, without spending too much money
    thanks,
    reading it now.

And I am already certain this is what i want to do ^^
    want to take my skills to another level

Xtreme Member
    Those containers are mainly for ln2, but should work fine with DI too. You keep DI in polystyrene box. Time how long you can keep it depends of how much and how big pieces have you got. But you should be loosing about 2-5kg/day. Insulation is the same as with ln2. You should boot platform with just empty container on it. Monitor temperatures in bios and wait few minutes to heat the thermal paste, when temp goes up to 65~C start putting DI in and then acetone.
    Q6600 P5K-E 8800GT G.Skill HZ 2x1GB Barracuda 7200.10 Corsair 520HX TT Tsunami