Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: brisbane dual core 65nm

Xtreme Mentor

brisbane dual core 65nm

Acording to the amd road map we will see "brisbane" dual core am2 65nm in first half of 2007. Does anyone know more specifically weather this will be quater1 or 2.

Also what do you foresee more powerful, Windzor FX or brisbane?

French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Brisbane will debut in December (you can see that the Brisbane bar stretches into 2006). Since Brisbane is highly unlikely to perform any better (more than a few percent) than previous dual cores, Windsor FX will probably be faster due to the larger L2 cache. Brisbane might, however, overclock to higher frequencies than 90nm parts and therefore outperform Windsor. The real benefits with Brisbane will be (hopefully) considerably lower power consumption and possibly lower prices.

There's a lot of "might", "possibly" and "hopefully" in this post. We'll see in a few weeks. If I have the money, I'm going to get one. Unless initial reports reveal that they overclock like crap. I'm hoping for 3GHz with reasonable power consumption.

Xtreme Member
    This sounds like crap.They changing sockets one after another.What does AM2+ mean and HT3? Will I need another board?
    AsAsIn8eRŪ
    My signature is currently unavailable.I faked so many that I can't remember my own.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what i have read is that a am3 cpu will work in a am3 , am2+, and a am2 motherboard

a am2+ cpu will work work in all three motherboards also

a am2 cpu will work only in a am2 motherboard

Xtreme Mentor
    I see. When do you think Windsor FX's will be hitting the market?

--------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by AsAsIn8eR
    This sounds like crap.They changing sockets one after another.What does AM2+ mean and HT3? Will I need another board?
    HT3 = Hyper-Transport 3.0 , as opposed to 2.0 I think we have now.
    French Duron Poof

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    I see. When do you think Windsor FX's will be hitting the market?

--------------------

HT3 = Hyper-Transport 3.0 , as opposed to 2.0 I think we have now.
    Your kidding? Windsors have been out for months and a 3ghz is about to come out with a X2 6000 renamed (FX64) and a FX74.

If you want Hyper transport 3 overclock your boards hyper transport when you put a Hyper transport 3 cpu into your old AM2. You'd see real benifits since the cpu has links capable of the speeds of 4gt/s upto 5.2gt/s.

Xtreme Mentor
    ht3.0 is in second half of 2007, such a long wait wish it was sooner.
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so, Im confused which one is the K8L?.....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin
    so, Im confused which one is the K8L?.....
    That would be Agena, Kuma, Rana and Spica.

ht3.0 is in second half of 2007, such a long wait wish it was sooner.
    Why? HT3 itself is not going to give any performance increases. Current chips are not limited by the HyperTransport bus, which can easily be seen by lowering the HT multiplier. Quad core (Agena) might push the HyperTransport bus a lot more, which could mean that HT3 might be necessary to sustain maximum performance. What's going to increase performance is the architectural enhancements in the new core and HT3 is simply there to make sure that the core doesn't become I/O limited. So, the drool object is the new core and not the updated bus protocol. Well, it might be if you're into servers and really need the new features.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ah thanks mikael - I wasnt aware of the new core names yet for K8L...Ive not been keeping up on the K8L buzz lol.
    I cant wait to see how it performs tho.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge84
    Your kidding? Windsors have been out for months and a 3ghz is about to come out with a X2 6000 renamed (FX64) and a FX74.
    I meant the windsor FX, socket 1207, dual core 4x4. I don't see any socket 1207 cpu's from amd yet...
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

Banned
    I meant the windsor FX, socket 1207, dual core 4x4. I don't see any socket 1207 cpu's from amd yet...
    They will come in the end of 2006. We already seen them deminstrated with encoding 2 HD movies and playing 2 games at the same time. Google quad father. I think they are set to come out in the next few weeks. Like around 65nm's release date the 5th of Dec.

Id get Kuma. Only 2 cores are disabled but it would cost no more then the dual cores. Quad cores will be expencive. But AMD's approce is to make dozens of different models so even quad cores will be on the low end side too. Maybe I'd spend the extra money who knows. Only 2 cores will be used ever really because of programer limits for awile.
    Last edited by Serge84; 11-25-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Xtreme Member
    All I can say is if they are not hitting decently over 3ghz why switch. I mean, AMD had FX-55's on 130nm getting upto 3ghz back in what, 2003? Sure its single core, but really why get excited over that? The progression of hardware has all but stopped on the AMD side for now, so I would rather put my cash towards a DX10 card and leave my other stuff alone.
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W

YouTube Addict
    There are lots of s1207 procs to pick from
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    I am shocked that a week from release, no one is even saying they know someone with a 65nm AMD chip let alone talking about them. I know NDA's are tight but I am still surprised not a single word. They must really be sucky I guess, lol
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster_64
    I am shocked that a week from release, no one is even saying they know someone with a 65nm AMD chip let alone talking about them.
    that is AMD strategy position
    brisbane, barcelona and new Radeon are hidden from entusiasts -)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Socket F Opterons need registered RAM to work, 4x4 CPUs won't.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster_64
    All I can say is if they are not hitting decently over 3ghz why switch. I mean, AMD had FX-55's on 130nm getting upto 3ghz back in what, 2003? Sure its single core, but really why get excited over that? The progression of hardware has all but stopped on the AMD side for now, so I would rather put my cash towards a DX10 card and leave my other stuff alone.
    This isn't really a matter of money so there is little reason to penny pinch and invest in outdated technology. Why get excited over multiple cores you ask? Why do you even ask?

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    There are lots of s1207 procs to pick from
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=
    So socket 1207 = socket F?

I will be buying in February 2007. Any big breaks by then from amd or intel?
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    I will be buying in February 2007.
    how much money do you plan to spend?
    If without limit - your choice is kent qx6700
    it is much faster than 2xFX K8 when OCed
    Last edited by MAS; 11-28-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://amdzone.net/modules.php?op=mo...rder=0&thold=0
    I asked about samples, and while AMD acknowledged the request there is no word yet as to if or when samples are going out for review. It also appears the 4X4 review samples have also been completely botched. In about a decade of following AMD I call that not a good sign for the immediate future.
    Straight from the official AMD Fanboi site leader

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like Brisbane has some K8L features like 4 decoders, Out-Of-Order store bufer and OOO L2 cache read/write.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32322
    http://129.15.202.185/athlon_rev_g/wtf_mates.html

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by doompc
    Looks like Brisbane has some K8L features like 4 decoders, Out-Of-Order store bufer and OOO L2 cache read/write.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32322
    http://129.15.202.185/athlon_rev_g/wtf_mates.html
    They mixed up K8L very early prototypes with Brisbane. TBH till today I didn't saw any SINGLE die shot of Brisbane CPU.
    This may be because we will see some surprise from AMD? But realistically I'm expecting optical shrink of Rev F.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Aint No Real Gangster
    i await brisbane, and hope to see some core enhancements.

also, whats the difference between kuma and rana?
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    also, whats the difference between kuma and rana?
    L2 cache maybe? good question
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast