Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 680i Tips, Glitchs, Things to Know and More.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've just noticed something else from your pics. What slot do you have your video card in?
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |
    | Thermaltake 850W PSU | NZXT SWITCH 810 | Windows 7 64-bit |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by msgclb
    I've just noticed something else from your pics. What slot do you have your video card in?
    PCI, the one between the 2nd and 3rd PCI Express slots.

Heres a Pic to show the Glitch that I mentiond, in action.
    Luckily, leave it to franck to always get CPUZ working right.
    CPUZ = good for some level of verification of a OC.

Nvidia Ntune = Not Good, Glitchy, and Easy to Fool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glitch.jpg 
Views:	3124 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	53290  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

And Finally, Heres to show exactly what I mean by "lowering your multiplier, directly effects your bandwidth".

between these two shots, nothing is different in the ram speeds, just went into bios, to change the multiplier from 7 to 6.
    thats it.

same ram speeds, same ram settings, everything is the same...
    but as you can see, the results are not the same.
    the multiplier has some direct effect on the bandwidth of the Ram.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3000 1200.jpg 
Views:	4166 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	53291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3500 1200.jpg 
Views:	4116 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	53292  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    Kunaak... I just want to say that this is one of the more useful and informative motherboard evaluations I have ever seen...

This is useful stuff. Now why can't motherboard reviews dig into this kind of detail?!

Keep up the good work. I hope to see more motherboard evaluations from you... you could make a career out of this!

Xtreme Member
    Great post as usual. One thing I'd like to mention about:

"lowering your multiplier, directly effects your bandwidth"

That's pretty obvious, I'd think? Because by changing multies we're comparing different CPU speed. Higher CPU frequency = Higher memory bandwidth. Personally I don't think multi would have anything to do with bandwidth, but if you really want to prove that point, you'll need to figure out how to measure its effect. I am not sure how that can be done.
    I don't check my PMs very often.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lopri
    Great post as usual. One thing I'd like to mention about:

"lowering your multiplier, directly effects your bandwidth"

That's pretty obvious, I'd think? Because by changing multies we're comparing different CPU speed. Higher CPU frequency = Higher memory bandwidth. Personally I don't think multi would have anything to do with bandwidth, but if you really want to prove that point, you'll need to figure out how to measure its effect. I am not sure how that can be done.
    read the first post and you'll understand what he meant:

the lower your multiplier goes, the less bandwith you get for your ram.
    so 1000 mhz on the ram, at 6 x 500, is not the same as 1000 mhz at 7 x 500.
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 4000MHz ~1,192V
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120
    MSI P35 NEO2-FIR (bios v1.8)
    ADATA 2*2GB DDR2 800+ EE
    ASUS Geforce 8800GT 512MB + Accelero S1
    Seasonic S12-600

I am Xtreme
    heikis,

i think your missing the point.

no mtter what platform you chose amd or intel the higher the cpu freq you are guarenteed to get better memory performance, i dont care which platform,
    1000mhz ram is 1000mhz ram, yes, but comparing 6x500 to 7x500.. well yeah duh, of course your going to get better since your 500mhz higher.
    and comparing 3ghz vs 3500ghz is a big deal with a conroe.

you would have to compare. 1000mhz 450x8 to 400x9 to make it truly fair.
    3.6ghz @ 8x multi and 3.6ghz @ 9x multi using unlinked mode and forcing the memory to 1000mhz
    thats the only way you cna say with 100% proof that a lower multi is better or worse.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    heikis,

i think your missing the point.

no mtter what platform you chose amd or intel the higher the cpu freq you are guarenteed to get better memory performance, i dont care which platform,
    1000mhz ram is 1000mhz ram, yes, but comparing 6x500 to 7x500.. well yeah duh, of course your going to get better since your 500mhz higher.
    and comparing 3ghz vs 3500ghz is a big deal with a conroe.

3.6ghz @ 8x multi and 3.6ghz @ 9x multi using unlinked mode and forcing the memory to 1000mhz
    thats the only way you cna say with 100% proof that a lower multi is better or worse.
    Yup!
    Gigabyte Z68X UD7
    Intel Core i7 2600K (testing)
    16GB Mushkin Redline 17000 2133 1.65v
    EK, 3x120 Rad 2xMCP655
    Acer 1200w PSU
    2-128GB Samsung SSD RAID 0
    2-1TB Seagete 32mb RAID 0
    1-1TB Western Digital
    1- Plextor PX-B320SA Blue Ray
    1- Plextor PX-880SA 24x DVD/RW
    2- EVGA Nvidia GTX-480 SLI
    LG 30", Hanns G 28"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    No, because then you are directly changing one of the constants which effects memory bandwidth?! Since the memory controller is not on the CPU, bandwidth should (in theory at least) be wholly dependant on the link from the NB to the RAM (i.e. frequency and latency).

Kunaak: How much did NB temps drop after putting the fan on?

Awesome guide btw thanks!

Suman

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    heres to show exactly what I mean when I say these boards run hot.

for reference, heres how hot my CPU Heatsink is.
    the CPU in this Pic is at Idle, at 3.5 ghz, and 1.35 volts.
    dam 166F = ~74C

AFAIK, the NB on 680i holds the memory controller...have you measured the actual DDR2 memory modules and the heat at each vdimm setting ?
    ---

Xtreme Member
    But... What about SLI?...

J/K Very neat write up.

Passing this along to my mate with his board on order.

Xtreme X.I.P
    10. OS Corruption and high Ram MHz.

heres the one biggest drawback to this board so far.

with how easy it is to et past 1200 mhz with these boards, your gonna wanna push your ram farther and farther.
    if your anything like me, you will just keep trying and trying till you cant go any farther.
    but once you pass 1330 mhz...
    you will quick start to corrupt your OS, and it wont boot anymore, or constantly gives you BSODs just after the load screen.
    usually, a windows repair install wont work either, cause by then, you probably corrupted most of your boot drivers, DLLs and such... so theres nothing for windows to work with, it may not even see that theres a OS there to repair...

so be very verrrrrrrry careful if you really get into pushing your ram, otherwise you might loose everything off your hard drive.
    make back ups of your information that you dont want to lose, and get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost, if you really wanna start pushing your ram on these boards.
    cause Data Corruption happens very easily past 1330 mhz.

thats it for now, I am tired of typing and I am full of turkey and damn I gotta sleep... this foods making me feel 100 pounds heavier and sleepy.
    I have an asus Striker Extreme , And it s the first time i killed a fresh windows xp so easy
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Xtreme Addict
    admin should have a link to this thread. within the sticky "Core 2 Duo motherboard tweaking and guides."
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Member
    1. CPU HT Voltage.

easily the most important voltage on my board when it comes to breaking 500 FSB's with it.
    no voltage, not Ram, not vcore, not chipset.... no voltage does as much for this board as this one voltage, CPU HT Voltage.
    stock voltage is 1.2 volts.... tops is 1.55.
    what its related too?
    not a clue... but what it does, is very clear.
    it gets me high FSB's and makes them boot everytime.
    take this voltage down even alittle, and you find a quick loss in overclockability with this board.
    I just leave it at 1.55, it doesnt seem to affect the CPU temps, but it does have a direct effect on the results, and not a small one either.
    in my case 1.2 volts will work fine to about 420.
    1.55 volts will work fine to 525.
    thats not a small range as you can see...
    so thats where I suggest you start first, if you want to try going higher.
    I assume the CPU HT voltage is the SPP voltage? That was the setting that allowed me to get to a whopping 453FSB on the BFG It keeps crashing out when running 3DMark03 or higher though??? Still, much better than the abit AW9D-MAX. I'm thinking of changing the SB for active cooling, it's in a heck of a bad spot though.

Also, the SPP voltage is listed at PCI-E voltage in nvidia monitor so would that suggest it is some kind of equivilent to the MCH voltage of the 975x boards? If so, then 1.55v max is rather low.....

My board crashes after a few minutes if the NB voltage is set to 1.5V so I assume that is from overheating.

Xtreme Enthusiast

well, thats where I come in... kinda.
    see, I've spent the last week, doing nothing.... notttttttttthing related to videocards, no 3Dmark, nothing related to anything other then whats in the BIOS and what will get me more speed.
    As good as your post is, I see nothing that tells me how good the
    AC characteristics are of this board (aka 'OC ability').

AC characteristics are, of course, relative, so they are meaningful only in terms
    of how they compare to other boards. Can you tell us how the max useable CPU
    clock compares with, say, some well known 965/975 board? Of course this
    means doing a side by side shootout with both boards using the same CPU and
    RAM, and both boards running the same Vcore (voltmeter measured).

you then misunderstand the post.
    this post has nothing to do with any specific board, just tips that worked for me, or observations and glitchs.

this isnt a guide on how to OC the board, but a series of observations.

if you want to know how well a board OC's just look for the post on a specific board, and not in this post.

Xtreme Mentor
    well written and useful thank you ive applied some of this and it has worked great on my striker extreme
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the write up Kunaak, a job well done.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kunaak excellent write up :thumbsup:

about the temprature thing for the NB, i am sure even the asus p5b and p5W gets this hot, I tried touching my NB and pwm area and it sure felt boiling hot

maybe all the boards get this hot?

Xtreme Mentor
    I can add that after sme extensive PS rail testing, the 680i boards are under reporting the 3.3 and 5v rails by around .1 in some cases. The 12v line is closer but still under actual load MM readings.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Xtreme Mentor
    heres something I need to point out.

all the EVGA boards I see so far, all top out around 440 - 455.
    I dont know how much advice I can give in regaurds to those boards, cause they just seem to have a wall around 450-ish.
    so I really dont think the CPU HT voltage is gonna do anything for those boards.

heres to show exactly what I mean when I say these boards run hot.
    I am finding the same thing re: the 450 wall on the reference boards. I thought it was because of my 10x multi and 6800, but I guess not.

Also I have tried the striker and evga and bfg versions so far, abd the asus ran noticibly hotter than the reference designs for some reason.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

I am Xtreme
    i have given up on my eVGA after two boards neither of them can boot at 440 or above. tried 100 different ram variations, linked unlinked, 1:1 3:2 Auto etc etc
    tried auto voltages and manual tried 1x HTT Link and 5x HTT link.
    tried everything and it just wont do it.

i didnt pay 250 bucks for a motherboard that cant even compete against my 145 DS3 for pure CPU overclock,

sure the 680i can overclock my ram like mad but when it comes to Conroes ram speed isnt as important. its all about the cpu.
    800mhz to 100mhz to 1200mhz ram ther eisnt that much difference. unlike AMD where Ram speed can make all the difference.

and ther eisnt a capacitor on the board that isnt bent over. the only ones that arent are the solid caps by the cpu.

there are two big coil packs right behind the RJ45 Jacks and they are leaning against each other directly touching each other.
    along with the insanely long soldering joints on the underbelly of the board which are just begging to short out on the backside of your case and smoke all your hardware.

eVGA has truly let me down on this, and i have no intensions of buying another eVGA board, even their cards have been pretty crappy for ME in the past. bah.. i stick with BFG for video cards and ... someone else for mobo's.
    Last edited by Lestat; 12-08-2006 at 08:54 AM.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lestat; how is it eVGA's fault that the nVidia reference boards aren't made properly? Blame that on Asus or Foxconn or whoever is making them. Sure, eVGA are responsible for packaging and stuff, but I think making sure every cap on every board is straight is asking a bit much...

Also, afaik memory speed doesn't do much on A64 does it?! I thought bandwidth was much more influential on Intel systems...

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    you will get the same problems with any other 680i reference board from BFG or ECS
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.80ghz 1.45v(bios), Asus Maximus Formula X38
    Powercolor HD4850 Crossfire, 4x2GB Team Group
    Dell 2407WFP, OCZ 700W,Mountain Mods U2-UFO
    D-Tek Fuzion + Nozzle, MCW30, DDC Ultra+Alphacool, PA120.3

Xtreme Member
    Nice info

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast