Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 680i Tips, Glitchs, Things to Know and More.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

680i Tips, Glitchs, Things to Know and More.

I been getting a ton of people asking me in PM's and in my posts about advice and such for overclocking the 680i chipsets, and how I can get the results I have from these boards.
    so, I'll try to write down anything I can think of about these boards thats worth knowing.... atleast, that I personally have tested and know 100% for sure is working for me.
    however, what works for my board, may not work for yours, so dont think this is a conclusive post or anything.

First, Alittle about me and the 680i.
    I use the Asus P5N32-E Sli. stock default bios.
    no mods (I would if I could find any, and havent got curious enough to start looking for them myself)

I have No SLI cards.
    why this is important to mention?

cause lately, I see a whole lot of 680i "reports" that have little to nothing to do with the board, and get overshadowed by the 8800GTX's or such being used.
    which tells me nothing.
    zilch. nada... zip, as useless as if I didn't even see the post.
    a SLI board that can run SLI... wow... amazing... neato...
    but what about the board?

well, thats where I come in... kinda.
    see, I've spent the last week, doing nothing.... notttttttttthing related to videocards, no 3Dmark, nothing related to anything other then whats in the BIOS and what will get me more speed.
    I spend atleast 3-4 hours a night booting, and rebooting that board over and over and over again, changing 1 setting at a time to find what works and what doesnt and where the glitchs are, and where they arent.
    sometimes, the results are very curious...
    heres a few.

1. CPU HT Voltage.

easily the most important voltage on my board when it comes to breaking 500 FSB's with it.
    no voltage, not Ram, not vcore, not chipset.... no voltage does as much for this board as this one voltage, CPU HT Voltage.
    stock voltage is 1.2 volts.... tops is 1.55.
    what its related too?
    not a clue... but what it does, is very clear.
    it gets me high FSB's and makes them boot everytime.
    take this voltage down even alittle, and you find a quick loss in overclockability with this board.
    I just leave it at 1.55, it doesnt seem to affect the CPU temps, but it does have a direct effect on the results, and not a small one either.
    in my case 1.2 volts will work fine to about 420.
    1.55 volts will work fine to 525.
    thats not a small range as you can see...
    so thats where I suggest you start first, if you want to try going higher.

I dont think the reference 680i boards from EVGA, BFG, ECS or anyone are the same caliber as this Asus board, since they are all stock Nvidia boards, so I dont know how much this will help anyone with a Stock board, but if you have a Asus 680i, definatly give this voltage a shot.

2. CPU Multiplier.

this is where things get very tricky with this board.
    it took me a few days to notice this, but the CPU multiplier has a direct effect on the bandwidth of your ram.

in my case, going from 7 x 500, to 6 x 500, loses me about 20% in bandwidth, I've tested this with Crystal CPUID, Sisoft sandra, and Everest Ultimate Edition.
    its the same everytime...
    the lower your multiplier goes, the less bandwith you get for your ram.
    so 1000 mhz on the ram, at 6 x 500, is not the same as 1000 mhz at 7 x 500.

Lowering your multiplier on these boards has a drawback that you might not wanna live with, especially if your overclocking a high multiplier CPU on Air, like a E6700, where you been lowering it on the 965/975 chipsets with no penalty to your speeds in things like Super Pi, but if you lower the Multiplier from its stock default multiplier on the 680i, you will get a slower score then you might be expecting, and it's probably directly related to the bandwidth loss you suffer by lowering your multiplier.

3. Ram Speed Glitch.

Theres a Glitch that one can Exploit when Overclocking with the 680i boards, and it's signifigant enough that its worth mentioning.

your ram speed will be reported wrong in a few programs like Ntune, if you lower your multiplier.

set 1000 mhz in bios, it boots at 1 ghz, but you ran a 6 multiplier, instead of 7.... when you look in Ntune, it will report 1200 mhz.

this only happens when you lower the multiplier.
    I havent taken the time to see if this glitch effects CPUZ yet.
    (its thanksgiving, and I just got home)

so this is something to be aware of, to avoid fakers and false results.

4. 1T Command Rate.

This ones a iffy one, cause some people will want to not believe it.

1300 mhz, cas 5-4-4-10 at 2T.... is only alittle faster then 900 mhz, cas 3-3-3-8-1T.

regaurdless of the speed used, linked or unlinked... 1T is very fast, when you get it up to 900+ Mhz.

I tested this at 3.5 ghz (7 x 500) many many times.
    unlinked mode always, and setting my ram speeds manually.

cas 3 at 900 mhz, and 1T.... while not exactly easy to get stable, is almost as fast as 1300 mhz at cas 5-4-4 at 2T.
    while I admit, I have not tested this in gaming yet... in everything else, this has been confirmed for me over and over.

heres where it gets alittle fuzzy.
    1300 mhz... while you may not believe it, is alot easier on these boards then it sounds. I am starting to think, that pretty much any High Quality ram has a real good shot at 1200 mhz easy on these at reasonable voltages, and 1300 mhz if you push it alittle.

but at the same time, cas 3 at 900 mhz at 1T, isn't so easy.
    it takes extra voltage usually, and is harder to keep stable.
    but should prove to be great for extreme benchmarks should you choose the 1T/low latency route.

so it's not so easy to say one is faster then the other, cause high MHz is definatly easier to achieve, then moderatly high speeds with low cas at 1T is.
    it wont suprise me if this is a aguement that is very hard to have a conclusion with.

5. Heat and Overclocking.

if you take nothing I say here serious, atleast take this one point and listen for a second.

these boards run really.... reaaaaaaaally hot.
    my Asus board here has heatpipes all over it, but after about 5 minutes of it on, its clear the heatpipes on this board are doing little to nothing for this board. this board should not be run with any form of passive cooling if you intend to overclock.

active cooling is a must, and not just for the NB.
    the SB and PWM area all too get very very hot when running overclocked for long periods of time. to give you an example, how I found this out was.... I was poking around the board with my flashlight looking for some ICS, so I could see if there was a clockgen available for this board.
    the board was on and running...
    I tapped the NB heatsink, with my flashlight hand... and I burned my hand.
    not like alittle warm... I mean burned.
    at the time, the board was heavily overclocked, and running some high voltages... but no different then any other overclocker would do.
    to say it was hot, isnt the right word.
    I've seen boards that run hot in the past... especially after days like the first prescotts.
    this board makes the prescott look like a ice cube.

these boards need far better cooling then I am seeing on them at stock.

it might take a hour or so of heavy overclocking or gaming to see what I mean, but touch the heatsink and you will see what I mean.

put fans on there, anywhere you can if you overclock.
    these things need it.

6. Latency and "Strap".

this board definatly does run with some form of "Strap".
    however, where they are, isnt exactly clear yet.
    what I mean is... passing 1066 FSB, doesnt mean your gonna automatically get the 1333 FSB strap kicking in.

when your at a low FSB like 333 or so, your gonna be around 50-55 NS for latency.
    when you get to above 500 FSB your gonna be about 60-65NS for latency.

boot at 9 x 400, and you will have a faster set of ram, then if you booted at 8 x 450, cause the latency and the multiplier bandwidth loss would make it less of a good overclock then you might think, even though your ram appears to be running faster, you might find the difference is shockingly small, cause your taking a hit in 2 ways.
    the latency of the chipset changes... and your lower multiplier then the stock one, also makes your ram take a high on its bandwidth.

so test your OC's alot before you settle for one, cause just setting one speed without testing it... may result in a slower speed then you thought you had, cause of things you cant actually control, like the chipset latency, and the bandwidth you lose by lowering your multiplier.

7. 1333 Mhz Wall.

this is gonna sound strange, cause its only a hunch...
    but getting 1300 mhz with these boards is almost too easy.
    however the closer you get to 1333... the sharper your stability falls.
    I have 2 sets of ram that easily hit 1300.
    but its the same in both cases. theres a drastic fall in stability once you get near, or pass 1333 mhz on your ram speed.
    so drastic, that it actually seems like a wall, more then a hardware limit.

getting up to about 1310 mhz is easy with alittle stability.
    1320 will work for awhile.
    but 1333 is a quick and drastic change in stability.

my guess... and yes, I have no proof of this.
    is that theres a hardware wall within the bios, to make 1333 mhz not possible.

why?

cause the 1333 FSB is intels next CPU FSB.
    and Ive seen this before with the 925x chipset, where they didnt want people taking 200 FSB CPU's changing them to 266 and getting a cheap extreme edition.
    so there was a near solid wall at 260-ish.
    but that same wall, didnt exist for CPU's with the 266 FSB.

would they do it again?
    sure, why not?
    this gives them a reason to push the 1333 FSB even more, if they appear to OC better... when they really are just getting a free jump over a bios limitation.

so thats my little conspiracy theory.

8. Linked or Unlinked.

this is something I really dont know where to go with...
    I've heard people claim that Unlinked is slower then Linked.

however, after about 20 trys with Super Pi, and various bandwith tests.... I can't see to find any differences, between linked or unlinked.
    I mean none... I get no benifit from running linked, then I do unlinked....

9. Dividers.

when you run stock, you have a few usual dividers to play with, like 3:2, 5:4 and 1:1.

when you run unlinked, you have a whole range of odd dividers that kick in to determine your ram speed.
    however, some dividers seem to be less stable then others.
    example.

for me running 7 x 500, I run unlinked.
    unlinked at 1300 mhz, and Auto for the divider I get 1300 mhz even, and uses the 10/13 divider.
    but run linked, and set the divider manually and I use 3:2.... which says it gets me 1300 mhz in bios, but reboot and I get 1333 Mhz.... not the 1300 it said.
    to get it to boot at 1300 at 3:2, I gotta clock down 1 FSB to make the ram seen at 1299 mhz... but that turns out to be less stable, then if I let the bios just use the 13/10 divider, when I set auto and left it unlinked.

so try different combinations for your ram, and realize, some dividers are less stable then others.

10. OS Corruption and high Ram MHz.

heres the one biggest drawback to this board so far.

with how easy it is to et past 1200 mhz with these boards, your gonna wanna push your ram farther and farther.
    if your anything like me, you will just keep trying and trying till you cant go any farther.
    but once you pass 1330 mhz...
    you will quick start to corrupt your OS, and it wont boot anymore, or constantly gives you BSODs just after the load screen.
    usually, a windows repair install wont work either, cause by then, you probably corrupted most of your boot drivers, DLLs and such... so theres nothing for windows to work with, it may not even see that theres a OS there to repair...

so be very verrrrrrrry careful if you really get into pushing your ram, otherwise you might loose everything off your hard drive.
    make back ups of your information that you dont want to lose, and get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost, if you really wanna start pushing your ram on these boards.
    cause Data Corruption happens very easily past 1330 mhz.

thats it for now, I am tired of typing and I am full of turkey and damn I gotta sleep... this foods making me feel 100 pounds heavier and sleepy.
    Last edited by Kunaak; 11-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

NREMT-I
    absolutely awesome that you wrote this up for us. Im getting an EVGA 680i motherboard soon, and this will be VERY helpful for me, and im sure others. Thank you for taking the time to do this.....
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Cruncher
    bravo!
    750W Thermaltake Modular PSU
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8
    Core i7 920 @ 20 X 200 1.325V
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    768 MB EVGA 8800GTX
    1 X 36GB WD Raptor
    2 X 150GB WD RAPTORS
    1 X SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB
    1 X Maxtor 6L300S0 300GB
    16 X NEC DVD Burner
    7 120mm Yate Loon LED Intake Fan
    4 120MM Yate Loon Exhaust Fan
    28" HANNSPREE Monitor

Watercooling Loop:

1 X PA120.3
    1 X PA120.2
    2 X Laing DDC's w/EK-DDC Dual Turbo Top
    7 X Yate Loon Blue LED Intake Fans
    4 X Yate Loon Blue LED Exhaust Fans
    1 X Swiftech GTZ
    1 X GPU EK Fullcover Waterblock
    1 X XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir 5.25" with Bubble Window

Xtreme Member
    wow...thanks for the useful information and contribution you've made.

Xtreme Cruncher
    well I raised the CPU HT Voltage to 1.55v and still no higher fsb... will try more stuff..
    750W Thermaltake Modular PSU
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8
    Core i7 920 @ 20 X 200 1.325V
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    768 MB EVGA 8800GTX
    1 X 36GB WD Raptor
    2 X 150GB WD RAPTORS
    1 X SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB
    1 X Maxtor 6L300S0 300GB
    16 X NEC DVD Burner
    7 120mm Yate Loon LED Intake Fan
    4 120MM Yate Loon Exhaust Fan
    28" HANNSPREE Monitor

Watercooling Loop:

1 X PA120.3
    1 X PA120.2
    2 X Laing DDC's w/EK-DDC Dual Turbo Top
    7 X Yate Loon Blue LED Intake Fans
    4 X Yate Loon Blue LED Exhaust Fans
    1 X Swiftech GTZ
    1 X GPU EK Fullcover Waterblock
    1 X XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir 5.25" with Bubble Window

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for your time Kunaak! I see alot of potential with this chipset. We need to get you an EVGA to play with. C'mon bios updates!!
    Gigabyte Z68X UD7
    Intel Core i7 2600K (testing)
    16GB Mushkin Redline 17000 2133 1.65v
    EK, 3x120 Rad 2xMCP655
    Acer 1200w PSU
    2-128GB Samsung SSD RAID 0
    2-1TB Seagete 32mb RAID 0
    1-1TB Western Digital
    1- Plextor PX-B320SA Blue Ray
    1- Plextor PX-880SA 24x DVD/RW
    2- EVGA Nvidia GTX-480 SLI
    LG 30", Hanns G 28"

Xtreme Member
    Do you guys have weird keyboard problems with this board? I seem to get it on my ps2 mouse even with no ocing.
    QX6700 ES - B1 S5
    eVGA 680i
    ATI x1800xtx
    Cellshock DDR1000
    Silverstone DA750

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    8. Linked or Unlinked.

this is something I really dont know where to go with...
    I've heard people claim that Unlinked is slower then Linked.

however, after about 20 trys with Super Pi, and various bandwith tests.... I can't see to find any differences, between linked or unlinked.
    I mean none... I get no benifit from running linked, then I do unlinked....
    For SuperPi there does not seem to be much difference but for 3D it is best to have it linked and in sync or unlinked but the RAM running at exactly half the FSB speed ( so it equiv to 1:1 ). This was confirmed by my own testing and also a 3d bencher who is a lot better than me ( a real lot better ).

Also we both agree with you on the 3-3-3 1T thoughts in regards to 3D, in fact here it is slightly faster than huge RAM speeds. The more memory speed you go the more trade offs you have to do .. I have to confess all these huge memory speeds just leave me cold. However they are useful for people who are running low multipliers and want to stay 1:1.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnnit
    Do you guys have weird keyboard problems with this board? I seem to get it on my ps2 mouse even with no ocing.
    I've seen issues concerning the motherboard beeping on the Foxconn reference board, (evga, BFG), from people using a PS2 keyboard. Using a USB keyboard seems takes care of it in some cases.

There could be some sort of power issue with the PS2 port. Pure speculation on my part since I am still waiting for my ASUS mobo to be delivered.
    i7/930 - Noctua NH-C12P
    Rampage III Extreme - (2) evga 9800GTX
    Corsair AX-1200 - 12GB PGS312G1600ELK
    (2) VelociRaptor 150GB - (2) Raptor 160GB - WD Caviar 2TB
    LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray - Plextor PX-880SA - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Silverstone TJ07 (mostly) Aluminum Case

Xtreme Member
    Great guide

Its about someone broke down the realities of 680i. I was getting so sick of people posting the ridiculously high memory bandwidth screens with no explanation of their horrible pi times.

You've definately got me interested in the asus board.

Asus Commando 6600 week 28B @4.2 1.475v(1.475 in bios) 525x8 4-4-3-4 1150mhz 2.3v
    2x1gb Patriot Pc-8000 Xbl | X1600 Pro | 2 Wd 36gb Raptors
    Seagate 750gb | Vapoli V2000B SS | Pc p&c Black Silencer 750

Quote Originally Posted by chron
    Its DDR2 - doesn't it need to be ran with 2 sticks at a time?

Xtreme Recruit
    excellent, really helpful!!!!

thx
    IT= The never ending Story

Xtreme Family
    awesome work
    thanks Kunaak
    Mojo
    Family
    Biostar TP55 XE - Core i7 860(ES) @ 4.2ghz - CNPS10X Extreme - G.SKILL 1600 - Galaxy GTX275 - Velociraptor 300GB x 2 - Zippy TypeR 600w
    Criminal
    Biostar Tpower X58A - 920~Gulf - G.SKILL2000CL8 - GTX580 - Intel 520 120GB - Antec HCP 1200w
    Biostar TP67XE/TZ77XE4 2500k~3770K - G.SKILL 2800 - GTX480 - OCZ Vertex2 50GB - Corsair AX1200
    Biostar Tpower X79 i7 3820 ~ E5 2680 - G.SKILL 2400C11 - GTX560Ti - Intel 520 120GB - AX1200i
    Kids
    P4GD1 - Pentium M 780 - XMS Xpert400 - GTX460 - Raptor 36GB - Aopen 560w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I tried HT voltage of 1.55v and i was able to go from 449fsb to 453fsb. but i can't go any higher 7x453fsb

Xtreme 3D Team
    Good write up!

Thanks for the headsup.

Xtreme Legend
    good write up
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Thanks for your time thanks Kunaak

Xtreme Addict
    For those of you using RAID. Try to disable it if your set up permits. i gained 7 minutes on dual 32m runs. Here is a link to a post i started concerning this. This also shows the gain i received by following kunaak's suggestions. i was stuck at 400*9 & 1200 for memory. It isn't a huge gain but it is significant in my eyes.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124415
    Gigabyte Z68X UD7
    EK, 3x120 Rad 2xMCP655
    Acer 1200w PSU
    1-1TB Western Digital
    LG 30", Hanns G 28"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very good read, and after spending time (not as much as you did..lol) i have had similar results and opinions...thank you for putting it into words for us all.
    Q6600 L723A (400 x9)
    Evga 780i P02
    G.skill 8 GB
    Evga GTX 280
    Raptor X (3) 150's Raid 0
    Targen BZ 1100w
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Xclio

Thanks

Kunaak,

I'm a new member and I do a heck of alot of browsing and reading here without many posts. Why? Cuz this intel stuff has been really confusing for me and I didn't want you guys to know how dumb I am . Besides coming over from Hardforums where I got slapped one too many times for simply asking a "dumb" question, I'm still a little gunshy when it comes to posting. Your post has been one of the most informative post I've read in a LONG time. It summarizes your experiences in an easy to read format and it has gone a long way in helping me to decide on whether I should go with a 975 board or a 680i board.

The heat issue you mention concerns me cuz I do want to do some Overclocking, though not extreme. Other than case fans, can other fans be mounted onto the pipes? I've heard of people using cable ties to do so, but if the heat is as high you've noticed, would the ties melt eventually. I initially ordered and then returned the EVGA board because of the layout, noisy chipset fan, resistors on the backside and reported SATA issues. I've been eyeing this board and it's big brother Striker for a while and will bite the bullet on one of them this week. Info I've seen suggests ETA between 11/27 and 11/30.

Thanks again for your informative (as usual) post

Xtreme Member
    Very nicely done Kunaak, you've made it easier for everyone beginner to expert and all in between. Takes a lot of hard work and carefull notes to do that, I haven't got a 680 board but I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for taking the time to help others.
    Silverstone TJ07
    i7 920
    EVGA X58
    Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600GT 2000MHz 8-8-8-20
    Thermochill PA120.3
    Big NG fan controller
    Heat Killer v3 CPU Acetal
    EK Full block GPU
    ATI 5870
    Corsair HX850
    1X 1TB Samsung
    1X 500GB Seagate
    1X Crucial SSD 64GB OS

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fsh42na
    Kunaak,

I'm a new member and I do a heck of alot of browsing and reading here without many posts. Why? Cuz this intel stuff has been really confusing for me and I didn't want you guys to know how dumb I am . Besides coming over from Hardforums where I got slapped one too many times for simply asking a "dumb" question, I'm still a little gunshy when it comes to posting. Your post has been one of the most informative post I've read in a LONG time. It summarizes your experiences in an easy to read format and it has gone a long way in helping me to decide on whether I should go with a 975 board or a 680i board.

The heat issue you mention concerns me cuz I do want to do some Overclocking, though not extreme. Other than case fans, can other fans be mounted onto the pipes? I've heard of people using cable ties to do so, but if the heat is as high you've noticed, would the ties melt eventually. I initially ordered and then returned the EVGA board because of the layout, noisy chipset fan, resistors on the backside and reported SATA issues. I've been eyeing this board and it's big brother Striker for a while and will bite the bullet on one of them this week. Info I've seen suggests ETA between 11/27 and 11/30.

Thanks again for your informative (as usual) post
    I haven't noticed excesive heat on the EVGA board. If they get the bugs worked out soon i'd try that one.
    Gigabyte Z68X UD7
    EK, 3x120 Rad 2xMCP655
    Acer 1200w PSU
    1-1TB Western Digital
    LG 30", Hanns G 28"

Xtreme Member
    top notch post. Thanks!
    Current: 2500k@ 4.0 // 8g Gskill // TZ68k+ // 5850 @ 900
    Best way to catch me is by PM // AKA Harmavoidance0

heres something I need to point out.

I dont think the reference 680i boards from EVGA, BFG, ECS or anyone are the same caliber as this Asus board, since they are all stock Nvidia boards, so I dont know how much this will help anyone with a Stock board, but if you have a Asus 680i, definatly give this voltage a shot
    all the EVGA boards I see so far, all top out around 440 - 455.
    I dont know how much advice I can give in regaurds to those boards, cause they just seem to have a wall around 450-ish.
    so I really dont think the CPU HT voltage is gonna do anything for those boards.

but for the Upcoming 680i's from DFI, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte, I would definatly try that voltage first... assuming they do as good, or better then the Asus 680i's.

now, for alittle testing results.

heres to show exactly what I mean when I say these boards run hot.

for reference, heres how hot my CPU Heatsink is.
    the CPU in this Pic is at Idle, at 3.5 ghz, and 1.35 volts.

108.6 F

Heres the PWM... no load, just running at Idle. boards doing nothing except running windows.

119.2F

As you can see, the PWM is hotter then the CPUs heatsink... but honestly, thats not so unusual, the PWM is a very hot area usually.
    this shots just for reference.

heres a shot to show what I mean by hot... you can literally feel the heat just radiating off these boards. I mean... it runs hottttt... and in this pic, the probes not even touching the NB heatsink yet... AND the boards at Idle.

107.8F degrees, and it's not even touching the NB Heatsink yet.

now heres where it gets real interesting.
    remember, this boards doing absolutly nothing, no load, so these aren't the highest temps from this board....

166.3F

and this, this isn't even the highest tempeture I seen from the NB yet... its just the pic with the most clarity and detail.
    I am not that curious to break out the tripod to get a great shot of this... this should show enough to illustrate my point, that these boards run hot.

lastly, this is a very simple mod you can do, and takes only a few seconds to do. take any 40mm fan you have, and just screw it into the fins of the NB.
    its so simple that anyone with 2 minutes time can do it.
    its not the only mod I do for NB cooling, but its certainly the least I would recommend anyone do. if you do no other mod for these boards... atleast do this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU Heat F.jpg 
Views:	17635 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	53283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NB Heat no touch.jpg 
Views:	17252 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	53284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWM Heat.jpg 
Views:	17474 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	53285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NB Heat 2.jpg 
Views:	17120 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	53286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NB Fan.jpg 
Views:	17040 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	53287  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

and I didn't forget about you guys that use the Celcius Temp for Measurement.

please note.

I know this isn't a perfect way to measure temps, I just dont know any better way then to simply take a temp probe and touch whatever I want the temps of.

oh yeah, the temps were taken after the board was on for about 10 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU Heat C.jpg 
Views:	7595 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	53288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NB Heat C.jpg 
Views:	7544 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	53289  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak

5. Heat and Overclocking.

if you take nothing I say here serious, atleast take this one point and listen for a second.

these boards run really.... reaaaaaaaally hot.
    my Asus board here has heatpipes all over it, but after about 5 minutes of it on, its clear the heatpipes on this board are doing little to nothing for this board. this board should not be run with any form of passive cooling if you intend to overclock.

active cooling is a must, and not just for the NB.
    the SB and PWM area all too get very very hot when running overclocked for long periods of time.
    to say it was hot, isnt the right word.
    I might have missed it but what kind of cooling are you using or plan on using?

Edit: You posted the above pics, etc. while I was putting this together and I do have a 40mm fan!
    Last edited by msgclb; 11-24-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |
    | Thermaltake 850W PSU | NZXT SWITCH 810 | Windows 7 64-bit |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast