Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 680i + 8800 SLI = Sound problems -Confirmed!

Xtreme Member

Overclocking with BETA BIOS

Has anyone else had experience of previous memory overclock from P20 bios and after BETA bios upgrade now the memory overclock fails? Also now with BETA bios I'm limited at 2.5v which is what I had it at before but I'm wondering if the vdimm is drooping now as I have 2.48v reporting.

I've had to resort to DDR2-1132 @ 5-5-5-15 2.2v, my previous overclock I could top out around 1200 @ 5-5-5-15 2.5v or run 1167 @ 4-4-4-12 2.5v

Ran 3dmarks06 for 10 hours straight (looped advanced version) and it was still running flawlessly. Only game I'm testing currently is BF2142 and I had it lock up on me last night where video froze but pressing power I heard windows shutdown music and PC actually shut off.

Any advice?

PS: I seems the BETA bios did correct the sound and SLI issue for me.
    Last edited by pentium777; 11-24-2006 at 12:22 PM.
    PC1 EVGA Nvidia 790i Ultra | E8400 Retail @ 4.05GHz 1.35v | 8GB Mushkin Ascent @ DDR3-1680 | 2xBFG GTX 280 SLI @ stock | 30" Dell 3008WFP @ 2560x1600 XHD | XFI Fatality | 3x256GB Corsair(Samsung) SSD Raid0 & 1TB Samsung Backup | LG DVD / CDRW | NEC DVD DL 16x | CoolerMaster Stacker 830 8x120mm high 110 CFM per fan| 1000w Corsair SLI certified | Scythe Infinity (dremel mod to avoid caps on board)

PC2 (Wife) ASUS P5WDH Bios 1101 | E6400 Retail @ 3.2 | 4GB Corsair 6400C4 | 1xBFG GTX 260 @ stock | 24" Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 XHD | XFI Xtrememusic | 2x150G Raptor Raid0 & 1TB WD Backup | Pioneer DVD | CoolerMaster Stacker 830 | 850w PCP&C | Stock HSF

Xtreme Member
    I'm not really one to be talking about this much... But as for the sound issues on an X-Fi card... I have had many instances of audio being like that if I did not use the CD drivers. And about 50% of the time a udate from the web makes the sound terrible. I know this is not the real issue. But I do know that with the X-FI well... Let's just say I'm not happy with Creative drivers
    X6800 @ 3.5Ghz 1400FSB w/ CNPS9700 NT
    eVGA 8800 GTX, Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, Antec P180b
    X-Fi XtremeMusic, Enermax Liberty 620
    2X Plextor 755SA, 2X 36GB Raptor 10K (Raid 0)
    2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA

Backup System
    P4 630 W CNPS 9500 AT, Asus P5N32 SLI-SE
    eVGA 7900 GT SC CO
    Sony DRU702A, HP 530i
    2X512 MB Mushkin DDR2-667, Seagate 80 GB 7200.7
    WD Cavier SE 160 GB IDE
    ThermalTake Soprano w 450 Watt Antec Smartpower 2.0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    Unlike the sound problem, the reports of "ram dying" is simply scarce. Go to the evga forums and count the posts about the mobo killing ram.

I know you lost a stick, but unless you ran your voltage at 1.9v at all times, its hard to say what happened. In addition, even if your particular board is "bad" and did kill some ram, the reports of this occurence are so slim it appears to be an isolated problem.
    there is 4 people with dead ram and 5 counting me. there is not a lot of reports yet because not every one overclocks there ram or uses expensive ram. You only run your system at stock so the is less chance of this happening to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by X.T.R.E.M.E_ICE
    there is 4 people with dead ram and 5 counting me. there is not a lot of reports yet because not every one overclocks there ram or uses expensive ram. You only run your system at stock so the is less chance of this happening to you.
    What does using expensive ram have to do with anything?

Unless it becomes a widespread issue, it will remain user error
    4 or 5 people isn't widespread.
    Wolfdale e8400es @4.5Ghz / Ultra-120 Extreme
    2GB Ballistix @ 589Mhz 4-4-4-x @ 2.5V - SPI 32M
    *** Motherboards tested: DFI Blood Iron (current), Asus P5K3-dlx, DFI P965-S, P5B-Dlx, DFI RD600, Bad Axe 2, EVGA 680i, DS3 and P5W DH ***
    Fan modded Zippy 850W, 500GB 7200.11 and EVGA 8800GTX @678/1062

Beta Bios Fix

The beta bios fixed the sound problem but not I have a problem with the mouse going crazy at times. I'll be playing hl2 or fear and the mouse will suddenly do a 180 and point up i the air. Anyone else have this. I think the bios is on the right track., but

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzman
    The beta bios fixed the sound problem but not I have a problem with the mouse going crazy at times. I'll be playing hl2 or fear and the mouse will suddenly do a 180 and point up i the air. Anyone else have this. I think the bios is on the right track., but
    Supposedly issues with PS2 mouse port, try USB only
    PC1 EVGA Nvidia 790i Ultra | E8400 Retail @ 4.05GHz 1.35v | 8GB Mushkin Ascent @ DDR3-1680 | 2xBFG GTX 280 SLI @ stock | 30" Dell 3008WFP @ 2560x1600 XHD | XFI Fatality | 3x256GB Corsair(Samsung) SSD Raid0 & 1TB Samsung Backup | LG DVD / CDRW | NEC DVD DL 16x | CoolerMaster Stacker 830 8x120mm high 110 CFM per fan| 1000w Corsair SLI certified | Scythe Infinity (dremel mod to avoid caps on board)

PC2 (Wife) ASUS P5WDH Bios 1101 | E6400 Retail @ 3.2 | 4GB Corsair 6400C4 | 1xBFG GTX 260 @ stock | 24" Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 XHD | XFI Xtrememusic | 2x150G Raptor Raid0 & 1TB WD Backup | Pioneer DVD | CoolerMaster Stacker 830 | 850w PCP&C | Stock HSF

Quote Originally Posted by pentium777
    Supposedly issues with PS2 mouse port, try USB only
    Could be, but the mouse problem didn't start until after the flash. Trying USB now. Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    official bios P21 is out from evga in case you guys haven't noticed

ftp://ftp.evga.com/BIOS/NF68_P21.exe

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    Honestly, I think evga has a nice product with their 680i board. I think they did a great good job getting new BIOSes released to fix and improve the board. Yes, the sound problem sucked....but the beta BIOS fixed it. Considering the board has only been out two weeks, and they have addressed the biggest issues quickly, I'd say evga is serious about their mobo market. Frankly, the problems they are having are more nvidias fault.

Anywho, I find that my board rocks now. It overclocks well, can be tweaked to no end, and provides SLI on Intel the platform (the main issue for me as well). Its not perfect, but nothing is only 2 weeks out of the gate. A few more BIOS tweaks and I think they'll have the board humming along.

As with everything, early adoption has its risks. That's just common sense in this hobby.
    The reason why this is more of an SLI Problem, as well as Mobo Driver problem is that 2nd Card is Routed through the South Bridge. X-Fi runs fast and almost at the limits of the PCI-Bus. Disrupt that BUS, and you get snaps and pops.

This is similar to a video card when it slows down from not being able to render a complex scene fast enough, it slows down. Sound Cards can't slow down when it is rendering sounds so "dropped sounds" are replaced with Snaps, Pops, Hiss and other noises. Many of the other sound cards don't do hardware processing, don't need that much bandwidth so they don't have a problem.

I can't find it but this was talked about when nVidia first proposed Doing SLI this way. Also note that ATI plans for all PCI-E lanes to go only to or through the North Bridge. So as even more demanding Games show up, this problem can rear its ugly head again!

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=61926

This is from about May-06. If the ATI motherboard doesn't have these same kinds of problems, it will be proof that running the second PCI-E through the South Bridge is not the best way to skin that cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    UP !

Is there a sound problem with the Striker mobo ?

If yes, is there a solution ?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by noobzed
    UP !

Is there a sound problem with the Striker mobo ?

If yes, is there a solution ?
    I couldn't find anything. If something comes up let us know?
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    NVIDIA nForce 680i SATA Problems Fixed?

After [H]ard|OCP has published an article that discusses NVIDIA's nForce 680i chipset problems, NVIDIA stated that they have a BIOS for the reference 680i motherboards design that they "believe resolves the SATA problem." EVGA and others are working with 680i motherboard owners to validate if the fix actually works for all of those folks having issues. The P23 BIOS for EVGA motherboards can be found here for download (P23beta) >> ftp://ftp.evga.com/BIOS/nf68_p23beta.exe

http://hardocp.com/
    regards

[Review] Core i7 920 & UD5 » Here!! « .....[Review] XFX GTX260 216SP Black Edition » Here!! «
    [Review] ASUS HD4870X2 TOP » Here!! «
    .....[Review] EVGA 750i SLi FTW » Here!! «
    [Review] BFG 9800GTX 512MB » Here!! « .....[Review] Geforce 9800GX2 1GB » Here!! «
    [Review] EVGA GTX280 1GB GDDR3 » Here!! « .....[Review] Powercolor HD4870 512MB GDDR5 » Here!! «

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27
    The reason why this is more of an SLI Problem, as well as Mobo Driver problem is that 2nd Card is Routed through the South Bridge.
    The problem with the south bridge theory is that nforce4 SLI boards had this problem with the X-Fi when it first came out and they have no South Bridge.

Either way the PCI bus has to go through the NB on either the nf4 or 680, so it would be a total timing issue and not just related to the south bridge.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mag
    The problem with the south bridge theory is that nforce4 SLI boards had this problem with the X-Fi when it first came out and they have no South Bridge.

Either way the PCI bus has to go through the NB on either the nf4 or 680, so it would be a total timing issue and not just related to the south bridge.
    Two North Bridges and one acts as the South Bridge=P That's why removing the Second Video card immediately clears up the problem. That's no theory but a fact. The problem is latency, timing and bandwidth.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234