Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PCP&C Silencer 750w, is there a better PSU for $200?

I am Xtreme

PCP&C Silencer 750w, is there a better PSU for $200?

This is pretty much the top of my PSU budget, ive wanted a PSU that i can consider my last PSU for a while now, and this looks like it might be it.

anyone have some input on it? Is there something better i can get for $200? I really want a quality brand like zippy or PCP&C...

However i hear this silencer is built by seasonic, does it lose the PCP&C quality by being such?

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully this will be my last psu for a few years to come.

Xtreme Member
    That is a beast of a PSU. With a 60a rail thats about the best in the price range

Xtreme Addict
    I've got one and it is excellent, much better than the 510w Turbo Cool SLI I had...

Only, I wish it had come with quad PEG connects, as I am sure that is the only thing holding it back from 8800GTX SLI cert.

Although as many people will tell you it isn't rated like their turbo cools. The 750w load # is from a 40C test and not 50C.

I am Xtreme
    Thanks guys.

J-mag, whats wrong with the PEG connectors? no 2x8? or are they just cheap?

One thing that irks me is that its not even fully sleeved. For $200 you think they could throw that in.

Xtreme Member
    There is only 2 6-pin GPU connectors

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconx3
    There is only 2 6-pin GPU connectors
    Yeah for board connectors it's got 2x 6pin, 1x 4pin, and 1x 8pin.

The Silverstone Zeus 850 has dropped to $227. If you can pull that off it'd be worth it.

http://deadeyedata.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=101
    eVGA 790i FTW Digital Q9650@4.05Ghz (For sale soon)
    2X2Gb Patriot Viper 2000 (For sale soon)
    Asus 5870/
    74Gb Raptor/250Gb Hitachi Deskstar/WD640/WD1000
    X-Fi Platinum
    Silverstone Zeus 850watt
    Dell 2405FPW
    Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's
    Lian Li PC73-SLB
    Win 7 Pro 64bit

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Despotes
    The Silverstone Zeus 850 has dropped to $227. If you can pull that off it'd be worth it.

http://deadeyedata.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=101

no i cannot pull that off...

silverstone scares me anyways, they havent been around long enough for a $200+ PSU IMO.

I like mt seasonic M12 700 watt unit, its not really a quad rail psu but it kicks ass so far. It comes with modular connections and 4x pci express connectors, also if you are not a fan of leds and stuff it has a plain black 120mm fan and a black 60mm fan. It should also save you a little cash. I think i got mine for like $180USD or so.

Intel Core i7 920 @4.0Ghz
    DFI LP UT X58-T3EH8
    CORSAIR TR3X6G1866C9DF 6GB PC3-15000
    2x WD 300GB Velociraptor
    EVGA GeForce GTX 295 (017-P3-1293-AR)
    XFX 8800 GTX (Physx)
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050 watt Modular PSU
    LG GGC-H20L Super Multi Blue
    Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality (Non FPS)
    NEC Multisync 20WMGX2 (20.1 WS TFT)
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
    D-Link DGL 4500 Gamer Lounge router

I am Xtreme
    i want a single rail psu.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    silverstone scares me anyways, they havent been around long enough for a $200+ PSU IMO.
    fascinating....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    fascinating....

Yeah i read up and retract my staement, they are good.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ST56ZF.. get that and save some money. Unless you want SLI for the newer graphics card... but even the 750w Silencer wouldn't be able to handle them (with a good CPU overclock).

Xtreme Member
    the silencer is rated for GTS sli and it would be for GTX if it had 4 connectors. One strong 60a rail is much better then 4 smaller rails

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverXP
    ST56ZF.. get that and save some money. Unless you want SLI for the newer graphics card... but even the 750w Silencer wouldn't be able to handle them (with a good CPU overclock).

waaa, i may be dumb but im no fool, 60a on 12v is more then enough for any system on the market.

Hell my gamexstream is too. But i am looking for other things in this PSU besides raw power, meaning stability.

Xtreme Member
    i want a single rail psu.
    IIRC the M12 is actually single rail, the 'quad-rail' label is just for marketing. Ready jG's review for more info.
    Hardware: Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz | MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum | G.Skill 2GB Dual Channel | Powercolor X1900XT 512MB @ 722/810 | WD 7,200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB HDD | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair HX620W | Antec P180 | Dell 2005FPW
    Cooling: Kingwin RVT-12025 | Thermaltake TMG AT1 | Scythe S-Flex D's | HR-05 SLI

Project: Monolith Worklog

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Istasi
    IIRC the M12 is actually single rail, the 'quad-rail' label is just for marketing. Ready jG's review for more info.

Read jonny's review, its dual rail, which is nice, but im still looking for just one nice big one...

im looking more at the silverstones... they are great, but i dont know what it is, something is turning me off about them.

I'm lookin for zipply sales places, if i can get a zippy for around this price i might consider it.

Xtreme Member
    I've got one and the not being fully sleeved part irks me also, even worse is half of molexs are white while the others are black. It just isnt very cohesive.

Other than that minor peeve its the best psu i've ever owned and its leaps and bounds better than my Antec Neo He 550w. Also do yourself a favor and get the black one like i did.

Asus Commando 6600 week 28B @4.2 1.475v(1.475 in bios) 525x8 4-4-3-4 1150mhz 2.3v
    2x1gb Patriot Pc-8000 Xbl | X1600 Pro | 2 Wd 36gb Raptors
    Seagate 750gb | Vapoli V2000B SS | Pc p&c Black Silencer 750

Quote Originally Posted by chron
    Its DDR2 - doesn't it need to be ran with 2 sticks at a time?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconx3
    One strong 60a rail is much better then 4 smaller rails
    Not exactly. Its a double edged sword like most things in life.

The benifit of a strong single rail is that everything you have is on it, and you wont have problems untill you max out the output of the psu, and you dont have to worry about pulling to much one one of your many smaller rails. The bad is you get dirty voltage and thats not good, especialy for the cpu stability. It has been shown that you can overclock higher with cleaner voltage. Also with a single rail psu if you pull more then rated everything on the rail will go down.

The benifit of multiple rails is cleaner voltage. Idealy you would have a seperate rail for each device, or atleast one for the more critical components like cpu/gpu. The only downside to a multi rail psu is that you have to watch and make sure you dont pull too much on a given rail which is somewhat easier then when you have your whole psu capacity on one rail. However atleast if you do max out a rail only the devices on that rail will go down.

Ideally you would have multiple strong rails
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    Not exactly. Its a double edged sword like most things in life.

The benifit of a strong single rail is that everything you have is on it, and you wont have problems untill you max out the output of the psu, and you dont have to worry about pulling to much one one of your many smaller rails. The bad is you get dirty voltage and thats not good, especialy for the cpu stability. It has been shown that you can overclock higher with cleaner voltage. Also with a single rail psu if you pull more then rated everything on the rail will go down.

The benifit of multiple rails is cleaner voltage. Idealy you would have a seperate rail for each device, or atleast one for the more critical components like cpu/gpu. The only downside to a multi rail psu is that you have to watch and make sure you dont pull too much on a given rail which is somewhat easier then when you have your whole psu capacity on one rail. However atleast if you do max out a rail only the devices on that rail will go down.

Ideally you would have multiple strong rails
    Well i guess what he meant is that one well built 12v rail is better then multiple smaller ones.

A single big well made 12v rail can give power just as clean yet you dont have to worry about overloading a rail. Just look at the PCP&C 1kw SR.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeds
    I've got one and the not being fully sleeved part irks me also, even worse is half of molexs are white while the others are black. It just isnt very cohesive.

Other than that minor peeve its the best psu i've ever owned and its leaps and bounds better than my Antec Neo He 550w. Also do yourself a favor and get the black one like i did.

Hey MrDeeds, how did you get a black one, you just email them?

Xtreme Mentor
    A single big well made 12v rail can give power just as clean yet you dont have to worry about overloading a rail.
    That's relative. Multiple rails do eliminate noise, and while my circuit and electical is weak for now, isolating devices shoild always be better then putting them together. How much better is another question and of coarse it is dependant on the psu's in question. How much better and how much that helps I am not qualified yet to answer but I am sure Oklahoma Wolf can

If you ask me I would like a 4 12v rail psu at 40amps per rail, with independant overload protection on each rail (unlike what some manufacturers have been doing) and multiple quiet fans. And I want it now, not in 5 years when a 40amp 12v rail is bearly enough to power one video card
    French Duron Poof

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    That's relative. Multiple rails do eliminate noise, and while my circuit and electical is weak for now, isolating devices shoild always be better then putting them together. How much better is another question and of coarse it is dependant on the psu's in question. How much better and how much that helps I am not qualified yet to answer but I am sure Oklahoma Wolf can

If you ask me I would like a 4 12v rail psu at 40amps per rail, with independant overload protection on each rail (unlike what some manufacturers have been doing) and multiple quiet fans. And I want it now, not in 5 years when a 40amp 12v rail is bearly enough to power one video card
    I agree with that, and i agree with those dream specs

Xtreme Mentor
    Sad part is (sad because most of us cant afford it) you can call PC&C or the likes and order a custom unit. Something I always wondered is how much would something like what I described above would cost.

I bet Oklahoma Wolf knows.

The way I look at it, if its not that much more, like a few hundred dollars more, it would be worth getting one instead of getting a $300 psu now and another $300 psu when power demand goes up. Maybe we can work out a gorup buy. THis gives me an idea, I think I am going to give some people a call
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think it's that easy but you can try.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast