Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus 680i, P5N32-E Sli Results.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by alexankius
    Kunaak, nice results, any pointers for or against the Striker vs P5n32-e sli ?
    yeah, save yourself $100 and forget the striker... so far I seen nothing that shows me that boards any better then mine.

but in all fairness, both versions of the Asus 680i are still very rare, and so few people around here have it, so theres not much results floating around for me to compare to, so while the striker might be better... I havent seen it yet.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    Hey Kunaak. Did you compare the BIOS readings / BIOS setting with a multimeter? I'm wondering if the actual reading in BIOS/windows is the correct one or if its closer to what you set it to. If so I have a wonderful chip thats running almost stable 3.825Ghz at 1.30 actual volts load (orthos priority 10 blend... stopped about 40 minutes in).

Eric

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    yeah, save yourself $100 and forget the striker... so far I seen nothing that shows me that boards any better then mine.

but in all fairness, both versions of the Asus 680i are still very rare, and so few people around here have it, so theres not much results floating around for me to compare to, so while the striker might be better... I havent seen it yet.
    Hi Eric,

Quite a complex board and BIOS. I've booted up fine at QDR1800 (450) at 1.43Vcore in BIOS and 1.45Vtt but failed QDR2000 (500) at 1.45Vcore in BIOS and 1.50Vtt.
    There are SOOOOOO many options in BIOS and the manual doesn't describe the effect or benefit of the BIOS options, so I'm walking thru a dark room with lots of granite countertops, low coffee tables and roller skates on the floor... ya know?
    Got tips?

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not the person to ask. If someone doesn't come up with something for these boards soon its going to take me 2 months playing around with BIOS settings.

Xtreme Member
    it seems like a great mainboard! with a normal price, not like the striker that I think is something scandalous!

why is the nb voltage problem? I mean does it have a protection to disable or u think is just a temperature protection? did you try with higher voltage and better cooling? maybe the mainboard has some kind of temp protection...

Great "review" man..thanks a lot

Marco
    XtremeHardware.it
    Asrock Italian Official Support Forum, Enermax and Sapphire Support Forum

i want buy a 680i sli mobo for my new pc.. but i see this mobo have a lot of problems... can i be trusted to buy it??
    Last edited by R @ P T O R; 12-09-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    System 1 | DELL Precision T5500 / Dual Xeon Quad Core X5570 @2,93Ghz / chipset Intal 5520 with multi gpu support / 32GB samsung DDR3 ECC / Dell U2412M 24"

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by R @ P T O R
    i want buy a 680i sli mobo for my new pc.. but i see this mobo have a lot of problems... can i be trusted to buy it??
    I wouldn't say it has lots of problems... but not every board will run at 525.

Xtreme Mentor
    May get myself one next year or the rd600 board.
    Abit KN9-SLI
    X2 3800+
    1gb corsair pc5400
    2 evga 7900gt
    200gb maxtor sata
    ocz 520w
    heatware:althes
    ebay althes

Xtreme Member
    I got my striker on the way... shipping from Canada... should be here by tuesday.

Setup is in my sig.
    Last edited by Lood007; 12-09-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    Q6600 G0 at 3.5 GHz 1.30v on DFI P35-T2R
    4GB OCZ PC2-9200 Reapers
    150GB WD Raptor, 2xWD 120GB RAID-0, 3x320GB HDD
    BFG 8800GTS OC at 675/2100
    Danger Den Based Water Cooling: TDX-775, 8800GPU, DD NB Block on Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator w/ DD 12V Pump
    OCZ GameXStream 850W
    MountainMods U2-UFO 18" Cube Case
    DELL 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD
    RME-Audio Fireface 800 based audio production

well, i have ordered this mobo (Asus P5N32-E SLI)... I hope not repent...i have a doubt for the cpu...X6800 or E6700 ??
    System 1 | DELL Precision T5500 / Dual Xeon Quad Core X5570 @2,93Ghz / chipset Intal 5520 with multi gpu support / 32GB samsung DDR3 ECC / Dell U2412M 24"

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    This board has a STEEP learning curve... but I'm starting to catch on...

e6400, L632A, 1.47v Tuniq Tower 24C ambient P5N32-E SLI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4008t1.JPG 
Views:	1985 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	53713  
    Last edited by charlie; 12-09-2006 at 03:49 PM.

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    This board has a STEEP learning curve... but I'm starting to catch on...

e6400, L632A, 1.47v Tuniq Tower 24C ambient P5N32-E SLI.
    Nice one Charlie

Coulf you run 491X7 and 429X8. It seems FSB <1650 is faster on N680 board.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    the board definatly does have a steep learning curve, but from my experience, its real little things holding the board back.

the crazy heat of the NB makes it become unstable real fast if you dont care about your cooling for the chipset...

use your CPU HTT voltages, and NB Voltage.

I honestly would say, these boards arent good for the casual overclocker.
    this isnt a board, you can just set your ram speed, then your CPU speed, and cas, then go...
    its gonna take some finesse finding the sweet spots for this board and your hardware, and its gonna take some well placed fans to keep it stable too.

these boards do get ridiculously hot.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme X.I.P.
    same on striker Kunaak, you gotta keep the chipset cool for oc's past the 1800fsb barrier on the higher multi's. I'd love to stick a little tec on the chipset...

regards
    Raja

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    the board definatly does have a steep learning curve, but from my experience, its real little things holding the board back.

the crazy heat of the NB makes it become unstable real fast if you dont care about your cooling for the chipset...

use your CPU HTT voltages, and NB Voltage.

I honestly would say, these boards arent good for the casual overclocker.
    this isnt a board, you can just set your ram speed, then your CPU speed, and cas, then go...
    its gonna take some finesse finding the sweet spots for this board and your hardware, and its gonna take some well placed fans to keep it stable too.

these boards do get ridiculously hot.
    replaced the 80mm on the NB area with a 120mm and it helped, here's some 32M:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32m4gb.JPG 
Views:	1982 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	53714  

Xtreme Addict
    While I don't have a lot of problems getting semi high FSB (I've got fans all over the place on the MB) at about 1700-1720 the memory latency becomes really horrible for some reason. I can go into Everest and show 10000MB/s and as soon as I get the FSB high it goes to about 8300 and the latency is about 76ns versus 46ns. At that point no settings help. I even have to turn the PC off for like 1 hour to get it to go back to normal. What this means is I get really good stable CPU clocks over 4Ghz on my E6600 but anything that heavily uses memory suffers a lot. I've tried slightly raised ht,vtt and NB clocks as well as pretty high settings about 1.5v-1.6v. All the HSFs are cool to the touch with all those fans.

To give you an example at 4Ghz AM3 gives me about 190K at the best but with the memory working fine around 3.75Ghz I get 197K. Also the scores for 3dmark2k3 are about the same.

can someone help me with the bios. i'm stuck @ 400mhz fsb currently. anything higher, can't boot.

& yes, the NB is darn hot. now using a 40mm sanace server rack server fan on it.

the FSB was set to unlink for the cpu & ram, cos i believe my rams is holding me back when my pc keeps crashing @ 380. once i unlinked it, it's stable for all, cept can't push higher.

btw, can advise on the e6300 steppings that u folks are using.

Xtreme Member
    Seeing as everyone says that the NB is damn hot. how are you guyz measuring the NB temperature??? My striker doesnt seem hotter than other boards ive had.
    E6600 L629B
    Asus Striker Extreme testing. I hope DFI can make my dreams come true!
    CELL SHOCK PC6400
    Tuniq tower 120
    MSI 7900GTO
    OCZ 600W

Quote Originally Posted by Ibinco
    Seeing as everyone says that the NB is damn hot. how are you guyz measuring the NB temperature??? My striker doesnt seem hotter than other boards ive had.
    i've had couple of times system auto shutdown during benching. when i touch the NB, it's scorching hot to the touch. then use a temp probe to monitor it, & readings shot to 70 degrees during benching. got abit worried, & place a fan on it. things then start to get better with the fan.

btw, my room temp is around 33 degrees high, hot tropical island, i would say.

Xtreme Addict
    I've got a 120mm fan right behind the CPU and other right over the memory. Everytime I touch the heatsinks it only feels slightly warmer than room temperature.

the board definatly does have a steep learning curve...
    This is my first post here, have been reading here for a while so please excuse any noobieness in what I say :-) BTW I think all you guys are completely insane (in the best way)

Kunaak, I see that you say this board is not recommended for the casual overclocker as it is generally tricky, and tricky to pass 500+.

I am considering this board amongst a few others for a new gaming system (my current system is 3yrs old with a 9800xt ). I am no computer noob by any means but this will be the first system I attempt to overclock. I have a high budget and do not plan to go past about 3.5ghz on an E6600 (air cooling). I realise I can do this on plenty of boards (ie. P5B etc), but I would like to have proper SLI option for future...

Do you believe its difficult to for a beginner to clock this board at the speeds I require?
    What kind of stability can I expect? As this is essential for me.

Also, I plan on having a fat 120mm fan blowing on the chipset, or even upgrading standard heatsinks if required.

PS. Anyone free to comment on this.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRONiK
    This is my first post here, have been reading here for a while so please excuse any noobieness in what I say :-) BTW I think all you guys are completely insane (in the best way)

Kunaak, I see that you say this board is not recommended for the casual overclocker as it is generally tricky, and tricky to pass 500+.

I am considering this board amongst a few others for a new gaming system (my current system is 3yrs old with a 9800xt ). I am no computer noob by any means but this will be the first system I attempt to overclock. I have a high budget and do not plan to go past about 3.5ghz on an E6600 (air cooling). I realise I can do this on plenty of boards (ie. P5B etc), but I would like to have proper SLI option for future...

Do you believe its difficult to for a beginner to clock this board at the speeds I require?
    What kind of stability can I expect? As this is essential for me.

Also, I plan on having a fat 120mm fan blowing on the chipset, or even upgrading standard heatsinks if required.

PS. Anyone free to comment on this.

buy a p5B Deluxe, SLI capable with special drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    buy a p5B Deluxe, SLI capable with special drivers...
    But its speed reduced (card bandwidth) unsupported SLI with potentially flakey drivers?

Greetings!

Great thread, Kunaak, charlie and so on!

Any news on the effect of the new bios?

Asus homepage says:

2006/12/07 update
    P5N32-E SLI Release BIOS version 0405
    1.Improve performance for certain memory modules.
    2.Fix CPU Voltage max option goes down to 1.60V error when 'Tri Chinese' , 'Sim Chinese' or 'Japanese' is selected in Multi-Language option.
    Find the zip here: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...20SLI/0405.zip

Xtreme Member
    I am puzzled guys. Ive followed many different threads going around...but no luck..getting this motherboard past 400SFB is a pain in the ass. I know my E6600 week 29B is a 3.8orthos stable on air. But check this... my CPu runs hotter on this motherboard compared to others(p5b/p5w64wspro/evga680i)

I cant figure out the voltages check this out:

On P5b Vcore 1.5125v bios ------>1.38v orthos 100% load 3.6ghz
    on Striker Vcore 1.4375 bios ------->1.23v orthos 100% load 3.6ghz

now both speedfan and probe read these voltages on the striker.. i just cant imagine this being correct. It apparently needs less juice...but runs warmer!?
    Last edited by Ibinco; 12-12-2006 at 05:36 AM.
    E6600 L629B
    Asus Striker Extreme testing. I hope DFI can make my dreams come true!
    CELL SHOCK PC6400
    Tuniq tower 120
    MSI 7900GTO
    OCZ 600W

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast