Thread: Fixing a POS FX5200

Fixing a POS FX5200

In my dads relativley ancient dell computer, he has (well had) an FX5200 that recently took a dive. he swapped it out for a super cheap (17 dollar special) Geforce4 MX440 that I use of testing, leaving his old card on his desk. I happend to walk by and notice that 3 of the filtering caps for the power ciructry (Im assuming here) were cracked and leaking..

So I got to thinking.. I have a soldering Iron and my trusty Fluke 189 (this meter ownz btw), why not fix it? After desoldering all of the affected caps, and one other one I measured them and to my surprise only one of them was below its rated spec. But wanting to be on the safe side I decided to replace all of them.

In an attempt to keep this project at 0 cost, I grabbed an old A7N8X-VM that has a faulty north bridge and went to work on the CPU's filtering caps. I robbed it of 3 1500micro farad caps, and a 1000 micro farad (the origionals were all 1000's). While the 1500's were a bit large, it looks pretty cool (translates to rediculous).

The end result? Shockingly enough, I didnt make the board worse, and even more shocking, I actually repaired the board and it is now in working condition. I havn't done any in depth stress testing on it, but its previous ailments (BSOD'ing windows in loadup and screen blanking out) are gone.

And now for the required pictures. Enjoy.

One of the Affected Caps

A Good view of the oversized caps

The Finished Product

oh, and the black marker was my doing. before I realized the caps were all the same values, I was writting each one of their specs down on the board.

I am Xtreme
    Hey, I used to have that card in 2004!
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS
    Hey, I used to have that card in 2004!

same here. man it was ty as hell.

and you should have replaced the other OST cap. they are caps. might look fine, but if the others went, that one probably isnt doing well either. the ocson is real good though, great caps, and the smallest electrolytic on there, they usually dont die.

and the caps might have same capacitance, but the ESR is probably through the roof.

EDIT: and maxxx, you of all people should know this doesnt belong in xtreem3d! the FX series shall never be mentioned in these parts again, it is best for everyone if we just forget.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my dad's computer had it and I tried to play oblivion on it....

bad bad bad idea...

Xtreme Mentor
    I had a mobo go bad, I replaced the caps and then the whole thing blew up. I realized I had replaced some caps with the wrong values, I guess that will do it. I know for the future to not put 6v caps on 12v lines. The bigger caps make the card look old, well it is anyways. I'm just so used to seeing the mini caps and the aluminum caps on vid cards. Nice job with the fix, it looks real clean..ha
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Guru
    I had a mobo go bad, I replaced the caps and then the whole thing blew up
    You probably switched the polarity.

I had that MSI card as well. Came out of a Dell, used it for 2D on my server.
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    same here. man it was shatty as hell.

and you should have replaced the other OST cap. they are sheit caps. might look fine, but if the others went, that one probably isnt doing well either. the ocson is real good though, great caps, and the smallest electrolytic on there, they usually dont die.

and the caps might have same capacitance, but the ESR is probably through the roof.

EDIT: and maxxx, you of all people should know this doesnt belong in xtreem3d! the FX series shall never be mentioned in these parts again, it is best for everyone if we just forget.
    hey the card blows, but it was fun. actually the OST is one of the ones I put on there. I was going to put another one of hte cpu caps on there, but all I had was a 6500micro farad so i didnt bother.

the oscon is one of the origional caps.

ESR?

and ya i know its the wrong section, but i thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing this.

nano, you deffinetly put one of the caps on backwards.. they blow sky high when u do that (or blow a more fragile circuit down the line). if you want I can show you how to put the caps on the right way next tuesday.