Thread: Will disabling the AI in Cat. solve the black screen phenomenon?

I am Xtreme

Will disabling the AI in Cat. solve the black screen phenomenon?

As some of you already know Cat drivers from 6.5 up to the current 6.10 have had some quality control issues for some users from x800 to X1950. I have been searching the net and found some startling work around that seem consistent in order to use a newer Cat and still OC your ATI card. It seems that those who have changed the .exe file name of their game, changed their AI to standard or disabled seem to remedy the black screen, AKA no monitor signal problem. However, this was at the cost of frame rate reduction.

Has anyone who recently had problems with Cat 6.10 tried to disable the AI to see if their problems stopped? And did you:
    -Clean your registry from all older Cat drivers. I use a program called Registry Mechanic as it takes the guess work out of finding them myself once I uninstall the Cat and reboot into safe mode.

-Use driver cleaner in safe mode

-Have you removed the following files from your windows/system32 sub directory? As the uninstaller sometimes does not remove them all and, XP usually creates their own version of ATI drivers. Please use your mouse to move the curser over the file name to verify that it is a ATI file: ati2cqag.dll, ati2dvag.dll, ati2edxx.dll, ati2evxx.dll, ati2evxx.exe, ati2mdxx.exe, ati2sgag.exe, ati3duag.dll, atiddc.dll, atidemgr.dll, atifglpf.xml, aticdxx.dat, atiiexx.dll, atikvmag.dll, atioglx1.dll, atioglxx.dll, atipdlxx.dll, atitvo32.dll, ativcoxx.dll, ativmvxx.ax, ativtmxx.dll

Here is just 1 link (post 7 and 14) to show you what I am talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    has anyone with problems with Cat 6.10 tried this yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    OK I have cat 6.10 running on my computer with a x1900xtx with no problems in BF2 so far. I do not have wdm drivers installed for the moment because they are name something different then what Cat 6.3 calls them. I believe they are not being recognized properly but not sure. I am using ATI Tool to overclock my video card with no problems in games so far. I have AI set to standard.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 11-08-2006 at 01:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    I have now installed Cat 6.10 WDM drivers and put in a few more games of BF2 and still no problems. AI set to standard
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 11-08-2006 at 06:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    i also have problems with damn 6.10
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I always have mine in standard and still have some problems, like when trying to play FEAR with the card OCed. To solve it I just start all games with this problem with my card at stock speeds (650/774) and then alt-tab out of the game, load the OC profile with ATI Tools, and then get back in the game. I've had no problems with this method and have been able to played every game with the card OCed.
    Intel i7 3770K @4.7GHz (1.224v) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 | EVGA GTX 780 Classified
    Corsair HX850 | X-Fi Titanium HD | ATCS 840 Black

Apogee XT | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | XSPC RX360

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Makubex_GB
    I always have mine in standard and still have some problems, like when trying to play FEAR with the card OCed. To solve it I just start all games with this problem with my card at stock speeds (650/774) and then alt-tab out of the game, load the OC profile with ATI Tools, and then get back in the game. I've had no problems with this method and have been able to played every game with the card OCed.
    Well you could do what I did, uninstall, reboot into safe mode, remove the ati drivers from windows/system32, removed ati files from registry, reboot to xp, install driver and CCC, test BF2 (in your case fear) if all goes well install WDM using the separate installer, reboot.

I only suggest this because I too experienced problems with some of the Cat drivers and BF2 and was ready to uninstall. However, so far no problems after 3 reboots and 3 load ups of BF2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    i can't get CCC to work....so i will uninstall it.
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

I am Xtreme
    I think having a 1950 is a known issue they are working on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Beta 6.11 is out and it's said to work with x1950 but from reading the posts it looks buggy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle
    Well you could do what I did, uninstall, reboot into safe mode, remove the ati drivers from windows/system32, removed ati files from registry, reboot to xp, install driver and CCC, test BF2 (in your case fear) if all goes well install WDM using the separate installer, reboot.

I only suggest this because I too experienced problems with some of the Cat drivers and BF2 and was ready to uninstall. However, so far no problems after 3 reboots and 3 load ups of BF2.
    Yeah I also play BF2. And nop that doesn't work with mine. I never install the WDM drivers anyway.
    Intel i7 3770K @4.7GHz (1.224v) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 | EVGA GTX 780 Classified
    Corsair HX850 | X-Fi Titanium HD | ATCS 840 Black

Apogee XT | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | XSPC RX360

I am Xtreme
    i just turn my monitor off and back on when that happens, usually clears up..

only happens when changing resolutions for me. so as long as my games are in native res im fine. (which they are)