Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide: PSU SATA Power Cable Mod/Sleeving

Xtreme Cruncher

Arrow Guide: PSU SATA Power Cable Mod/Sleeving

Pictorial guide on modifying your PC power supply SATA power cable (follow web link for full details: http://www.gam.net.au/pcmods/satapower/index.html.)

Note, the page still requires further updates and enhancements. I figured it was best to get something up rather than nothing

I didn’t like the locations of the SATA power connectors on my ThermalTake ToughPower 750W PSU cables so I modified them to be more appropriately located and spaced. This is nothing new, but as I experimented with various SATA power connectors and took pictures along the way to assist another forum member, I ended up with sufficient material (and experience?) to put together a simple guide.

The objective was to relocate the existing SATA power connectors to the end of the cable, spaced apart accordingly with the power connectors of my mounted hard disks. The distance between connectors is never appropriate for me. For instance, with three drives in a row, I want three connectors about an inch apart, not 3-6 inches! I also want the cable to be long because I am routing all cables and wires in and around the motherboard etc.

Before:

After:

(Please excuse the dodgy picture, but the camera was away so I had to use my mobile phone.)
    The overall length of the cable is the same. Note the black heatshrink where the original connectors used to be.

The full guide can be found here: http://www.gam.net.au/pcmods/satapower/index.html

Happy modding!
    Last edited by GAM; 02-26-2007 at 01:09 PM.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Great job Gam

Like your other work to
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks mate.
    And thanks for the previous encouragement too. Sometimes that's all it takes to get motivated. I've got more guides/info to come, I just need the time and energy as quite a bit of effort goes into these things (surprisingly or not.)

Xtreme Addict
    Great tips and loads of pics. Bookmarked!

I can't wait for the Cable management mod, do that one next!
    Watch 24!

Q6600 G0 w/ Scythe Zipang
    A Data 2x2gb DDR2-800
    Corsair 750w PSU
    8800GTX
    320gb Maxtor HDD
    Audigy 2 ZS
    RocketFish case

Xtreme Cruncher
    @Shift, cheers. I'd like to write up the Cable Management mod (part of the whole 'mods to "Main"/Chieftec mods' I've been doing), but it could be a little while yet . There are some basic pics of the work done in the 'sneak peek' page (scroll the pics to the right a few (5?) and you will see the MB tray cutouts and a shot of the cable routing behind. It needs enhancement though and a little more work to get it perfect . There is also some stuff in a thread here, but mostly side panel window related.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kudos GAM, thanks for the guide. Will definitely help down the road.
    MSI Big Bang XPower
    Core i7 930 @ 3.38 Ghz
    6 x 2GB Patriot DDR3 1600
    XFX Double D 7850
    Therltake Toughpower 1200
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    OCZ Revodrive 3 120GB
    Corsair 700D
    Dell 2405FPW
    W7 Pro 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sticky? Post seems to have gone off the radar, can't find it in forum listings.

great mod....seems fun enough to DIY

Xtreme Member
    FINALLY-I've needed/wanted to do this for a while, great job on a great mod how-to
    465 Watts of Computing Power....Running Off the Sun.
    **w00t for solar panels**

Xtreme Cruncher
    @TheJollyFellow, I'm glad it's helped. This is what Xtreme Systems and this guide is all about, and what makes me keen to contribute... being able to help others. Don't hesitate to ask any questions as I'd be more than happy to help (not that this is very hard, but if you've got an unusual connector or such, I might have one that I'm willing to sacrifice etc.). Same goes for suggestions to the site/content I've provided. I can be lazy, so suggestions are often all that's required.

@Moderators, thanks guys/gals, I just realised this has been 'stickied'. This is my first and it makes me feel proud.

Xtreme Member
    Great guide, does anybody know where in the UK you buy that nylon type braid/sleeving

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf
    Great guide, does anybody know where in the UK you buy that nylon type braid/sleeving
    I'd like to know where to find this stuff in the USA.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker
    I'd like to know where to find this stuff in the USA.
    A 'google' and I came up with this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ndex&cPath=135

and... NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=0&Ntk=all

[edit: Vantec Sleeving Kit is one of the main ones, but there are others, so perform a search for 'Sleeving Kit']

Check your local performance pc style businesses.
    Last edited by GAM; 02-25-2007 at 05:37 PM.

GAM's idea was great!
    I did my mod too, but without sleeving due to the short distance...

Here's the pic:
    Before

close-up

After

Close-up

Tho no sleeving, but the twist looks cool too.

GAM, any more mods to further enhance the cabling or cooling?
    Looking forward man...

Cheers!
    Last edited by redmondmok; 04-12-2007 at 06:37 PM.
    [ EVGA P55 SLi | i7 870 + XIGMATEK Achilles S1284W | Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 | Hitachi 160G x 2 RAID0 + 1T x 2 RAID1 | EVGA GTX 460 SC 768MB SLi | Aerocool Bx-500 Evil Black Edition | Seasonic X Series 850Watt ]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Good on ya' mate. Yeah twists look fine. On my HTPC machine I didn't bother sleeving it either, just left the wires flat and exposed.

There's some good cable management stuff, requires some cutting, in the following worklogs (warning, heaps of pics!!!)
    WORKLOG: GAM's HTPC - Simple Modding Make-Over
    WORKLOG: GAM'S 'Main' PC - Chieftec BX-01 (56K WARNING!)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GAM View Post
    Good on ya' mate. Yeah twists look fine. On my HTPC machine I didn't bother sleeving it either, just left the wires flat and exposed.

There's some good cable management stuff, requires some cutting, in the following worklogs (warning, heaps of pics!!!)
    WORKLOG: GAM's HTPC - Simple Modding Make-Over
    WORKLOG: GAM'S 'Main' PC - Chieftec BX-01 (56K WARNING!)

Good luck!
    Yo GAM,

From the Mod of ur cheftec I have a few question here mate.
    1. I saw the sponge-like black stuff in the casing. Is it sponge by the way?
    2. And is it suppose to reduce noise from the casing?
    3. Will this sponge trap heat within the casing itself?

I can see you put in loads of work in the cool casing... How I wish have a workshop like yours...
    [ EVGA P55 SLi | i7 870 + XIGMATEK Achilles S1284W | Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 | Hitachi 160G x 2 RAID0 + 1T x 2 RAID1 | EVGA GTX 460 SC 768MB SLi | Aerocool Bx-500 Evil Black Edition | Seasonic X Series 850Watt ]

COOL that it is a Sticky now

proves your efforts are NOT futile
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Cruncher
    @redmondmok, that's 'Noise Isolation' foam material with adhesive backing. It's readily available from performance pc shops. Here's a link to an Australian supplier for reference. There are other brands too. You could also go to you local electronics shop to source sound dampening materials etc. It may trap a little more heat but I doubt it makes much difference in a well cooled/ventilated case. The important thing here is reducing noise.
    You'll have your chance to build up a tool collection over time. It has taken me 35yrs , maybe 25yrs from my first hammer and screwdriver

@Nosfer@tu, yeah, thanks. It was your original suggestion that encouraged me to put the guide together . It is a popular guide internationally, getting hits from all over the place (places I don't frequent or even know ) No real surprise I guess, as it is a nice easy mod with satisfying returns.
    Last edited by GAM; 04-13-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAM View Post
    @redmondmok, that's 'Noise Isolation' foam material with adhesive backing. It's readily available from performance pc shops. Here's a link to an Australian supplier for reference. There are other brands too. You could also go to you local electronics shop to source sound dampening materials etc. It may trap a little more heat but I doubt it makes much difference in a well cooled/ventilated case. The important thing here is reducing noise.
    You'll have your chance to build up a tool collection over time. It has taken me 35yrs , maybe 25yrs from my first hammer and screwdriver

@Nosfer@tu, yeah, thanks. It was your original suggestion that encouraged me to put the guide together . It is a popular guide internationally, getting hits from all over the place (places I don't frequent or even know ) No real surprise I guess, as it is a nice easy mod with satisfying returns.
    Your efforts dude, Your honor
    And it take A LONG time to do guides like that
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Very cool guide, thanks for doing this mate! I'm taking a slightly different approach on my new build. I am making my own cables for my modular supply from scratch. I have all the parts arriving in the mail today actually. This way, if I ever want to sell the PUS or send it off for warranty, the original cables are all intact as if they've never been used.

Xtreme Cruncher
    @MicroFly, good one mate. I had in mind doing the same thing, but could not be bothered in the end. I also found it hard to find the plastic PSU connectors. These vary a little from one PSU to another i.e., square vs. round connections in different locations on the plastic 6-pin connector.

Good luck with it though, and make sure you post your achievements.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmmm... good idea I don't have multiple hdds so eh, I just use molexes but this is something I could consider for future stuff.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

ok alittle question @ those that seem to know what there doing i have the antec nine hundred and the asus P5N-E mobo currently in build stage now my predicament is that the 4 pin p4 conector is in the very top corner of the case when orientated corectly and my p4 power conector does'nt reach that far is it safe for me to extend this wire to reach and allow for cable routing.

i wana save 100+ bucks on a new psu if posible

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast