Thread: Initial TwinMos PC3700 impressions

Xtreme Addict

Initial TwinMos PC3700 impressions

Bench testing 2x256 sticks of TwinMos PC3700 in my main air cooled rig right now. So far I'm pretty impressed, and will post up screens later tonight or definitely tomorrow. Mem timings are currently set in bios to 3-3-3-C2.0. Damn! I'm loving this action.
    So far no real glitches, other than the TwinMos does not like
    RAS to CAS below 3.

I'm on an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0, Vdd modded and currently set at 1.850v. My goal is 230 FSB...looks attainable for sure.

With my XMS3500 (2X512), I couldn't get above ~220FSB stable in Prime or 3DMark. I briefly threw in a stick of PC3200 that OCZ provided me a while back and it was doing pretty well too - hope to provide more results to you guys tomorrow. I'm off the next 2 days and plan to bench like a maniac.

Presently I'm at 227x10.5 = 2388 MHz on the Barton 2800+...looks to be prime stable. I did have to bump up the Vcore to 1.875 in bios but indicating 1.82-1.84 via MBM5.

Xtreme Addict
    so first your tring to compare 256meg sticks to 512meg sticks at overclocking? second why are you running tras at "3"?
    No! Definitely not trying to compare double sided 512MB XMS3500 to the TwimMos (that's why I bought it, so I could squeeze out some higher front side bus speeds).

if you get 2x256meg xms pc3500c2 sticks you'll see a new light compared to the 512meg sticks trust me from experience.
    How much higher could you clock going to the single sided Corsair XMS3500c2? I've always been curious about that. I'm actually pretty happy with my 512 sticks, I can run at 220 FSB on them reliably and stably, just not much higher right now.

The Tras being set at 3 is just initial benching...I haven't really even tightened up the timings too much yet...just going on what Shadco and Calcu achieved before me and trying out some of their settings. I was just happy since I've been stuck at 220 FSB for a few days, this helped going to the 256 sticks. I do think the TwinMos is ok, feels pretty snappy running it just from personal observation.

Lil' Red Devil
    should be able to run it at 3 3 2 2

Jen
    Beat on it till its BROKEN

Then you can say you did it right

Heatware 405-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    The best I can do with the TwinMos is Cas 2.0 - RAS to CAS 3 (very picky about this one, can't do 2), RAS precharge 2, and TRAS cycle time 3 (can't run it in 2 here either).

I'm at 230X10.5=2420 MHz on the 2800+, on air, now priming.

More later.

hwbot crew
    My overall system performance stays the same whethet tras is at 3 or 11. I'd suggest you keep tras above 5, your OS corrupts quickly at tras 2~3.

I hope you can do more than 235mhz, otherwise it wouldn't justify it's price. I haven't met a single winbond bh-5 256mb stick that couldn't run 233mhz 6-3-3 cl2.5 at 2.8vdimm error free.
    HTPC (win xp): Turion MT-30 @ 2Ghz | NF4 | XFX 7900GT | 26" TFT
    Development (mac osx): Macbook Pro | Core Duo 1.86Ghz | 1.5GB DDR2

Technician
    More the board than the ram. AMDs dont ramp the FSB anywhere near as high as the Intels. With multiplier unlocked and Intel able to provide 320FSB plus we should really be seeing the same from AMD, but unfortunately they made the fantastic decision of pulling out of the desktop chipset market 2 years ago. Even BH-6 based chips can pretty much max out any AMD board out there.

PiLsY.

Xtreme Addict
    Done benching for today - Here's the shots I grabbed. Not sure I'll get a whole lot more out of the Barton 2800+ on air, but the TwinMos memory for the price performs well. I would like to see it with faster timings available.

It was prime & 3D stable, actually pulled my 2nd fastest 3DMark03 score with the vid card not as o/c'd. I was just making sure it ran stable. These tests were done at 1.850 Vdd. Had to bump the Vcore up to get the 230 FSB though.

Going back to my 2x512MB configuration for now with the XMS3500 and try to still tweak that upwards.

Tomorrow will give the OCZ PC3200 EL stick I have a thorough testing, though it will only be in single channel mode, since I only have one piece.