Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamcar

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah it is the front of the modena - i thought the same and somewhere in that text i linked to it's said that the guys actually drives a 360 so there you go

ok.. maybe i should start a thread on the pros and cons of electronic driving aids. i personally am pretty much opposed to them. they might be handy in some parts and actually help make your ride safer, but there's plenty people out there that just don't get it. i mean all safety devices like that are fine until people start to feel safe and neglect the danger they are probably around.

ah crap... i'll open a thread an stop spamming this thread with my opinions about electronic driving aids.
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Xtremely slow runner
    I know what you mean sky, the major problem in the car is not the car but the driver. 90% of the accident are due to human failure! it's not a question of too much safety device in the car but it's a question of changing human behavior in the car and that the people should realize that it's not because they have an airbag, abs ,ebv ,... that they'll do less accident or have less risk of being kill if they drive like crazy. A test showed that people who have a car with abs tends to brake late and cause accident this way (the abs only prevents sliding on wet floor but don't shorten braking length )
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

Xtreme Member
    Well actually ABS shortens your brake length, you just have to brake hard enough...

Well I might as well add my absolute favorite car....

I can't run from it, it is a 1968 Dodge Charger (426 HEMI - top dream, but not reachable).. I am totally in love with that car, and no other car has been able to take it's place in the last 2 years now...

Picture..!

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by Matshui
    Well actually ABS shortens your brake length, you just have to brake hard enough...
    Nope this isn't true, abs prevents you from sliding by preventing the wheels to block! It's not meant to shorten the brake length
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Relic
    ABS works by Pumping the brake petal faster than humanly possible and I believe it does actually improve or shorten braking distance, but mainly allows you to maintain control in heavy braking situations by preventing the brakes from locking up and sliding or skidding.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtremely slow runner
    nope abs work by releasing the brake jsut before the wheel completely stops
    Let me explain, whenif you brake too hard, at a moment the car will go sliding, meaning the car will move but the wheel are stuck. This is very bad for the braking distance! The abs release the brake at the right moment to keep the wheel spinning hence the car won't go into sliding, this is in the name of the ABS anti blocking system (if i'm correct). I'll try to find a website that explains it better than cause it's clear in my mind but maybe not the way i explain it

Xtremely slow runner
    http://www.ambulancedriving.com/extr...e4-pce-09.html
    I didn't read it all but it should be clear enough

Anti-Lock Brake System

Does exactly what it says...
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Relic
    I could have worded it differently, but here's a quote from the link you posted which says pretty much what I said. I worked for Chrysler for seven years...I know what abs is:

"So long as the driver maintains firm pressure on the brake pedal, the system reapplies brake pressure to the point of lock up. It then releases the pressure again. The release and reapply action can happen up to fifteen times a second. It acts on any skidding wheel so long as the driver maintains firm brake pressure."

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtreme Member

The key is no-skid....so ABS = Shorter Distances

Without skid, you are not losing contact with the road with the wheels that do the steering. This is most important during breaking, as if you DO lock up the wheels that steer, you inevitably begin to float off axis and then you are going sideways.

To regain control you must....release the breaks and steer in the direction you want to head until tire rotation matches ground speed and you gain traction again. If just for a split second. That is long enough to lose any advantage VS. ABS.

The vast majortiy of commercial vehicles have brake systems that demonstrate fade (which varys with temperatures and usage), use brake lines which expand and contract in varying degrees, and usually everyday cars are a little out of alignment after one or two serious pothole hits.

All these variables add up to make it impossible for even the most experienced driver to anticipate slippage direction and duration during a stop..two or three pebbles in the road can make you lose grip, but which tire first? Thus ABS almost ALWAYS breaks better.

Now put a very experienced driver in CONTROLLED SITUATIONS like a clean racetrack, sticky and warm freshly balanced and evenly inflated tires, Precision Brembo coss-drilled rotors and racing pads, and experience with that car...then in a straight stop he can take it to the brink of slippage without hitting a slide....that car could stop faster than an ABS equipped car.

But if he had to brake hard during a turn, he'd probably lose it before the ABS car would.

my 2 pennies
    Last edited by zippyc; 03-13-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by TheDude
    I worked for Chrysler for seven years

come fix my 93 concorde. air conditioning no work anymore even though everything from new compressor to new freon charge and all fuses working but still no worky sux during summer.

oh and how can i get rid of speed limiter?

Xtreme Relic
    Very well said zippyc!

3rd-Dimension, sorry man I wasn't a mechcanic. Gary might be able to offer some tips on the air problem?

Xtremely slow runner
    There's a lot of situation were there's no skid! One a wet road you shorten the braking distance because without abs you'll skid. But otherwise there's "no gain" from abs, the mistake most people makes is to think i have abs so my braking distance is shorter in all the case which is plain wrong and can lead to accident! ABS primary role is to allow you to master the car while breaking and this is very helpful on wet road (last week i slipped on the road after a sudden brake and god i was afraid even if it was on less than 10 meters, i was driving between 40-50Km/h and the road was slightly wet)

Xtreme Relic
    You are correct in that people tend to rely on abs too much and on their own common sense too little.

3rd, is it just me or do your wheels look photoshoppped?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    The Volvo 240.....
    //The Farbror....Has bad English and bad cooling...

I love my car and the only thin i would buy over it if i had the money buck for buck would be the 2006 (or when ever they come out) Corvette Z06. They are supposed to have something like 500hp 500 ft/lbs of torgue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture-011.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	10632  

That would be amazing to see numbers like that, out of a 6L V8, daily driveable, and passing emissions.

It would put it right on par with the Viper which is making the same power from an 8.2L V10...

Sounds about right, I do remember hearing talk that Chevy was taking the Z06 up to and beyond Viper levels. Remember the car only weighs 3150lbs, with that power it will eat the Viper for lunch.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Banned
    hmmmm...... this car does have nice design. The more I look at it and know about the car, the more I seem to appreciate it.

The member Pecker posted it in the first post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13_640.jpg 
Views:	1005 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	10803  

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Soulburner
    3rd, is it just me or do your wheels look photoshoppped?
    just u i got more pics if ya want em.

Xtreme Member
    here just give ya another

Last edited by 3rd-Dimension; 03-31-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    got somemore if ya want em. just say so

LOL...they still look like they were photoshopped on there...
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    jup i was thinking exactly that
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Banned
    man, why don't ya just get a set of 18" wheels and low profile tyres... Put some Brembo brakes n ventilated discs on there as well.....

hehe

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast