Thread: 2GBHZ PC4000 @MSi Diamond Plus

2GBHZ PC4000 @MSi Diamond Plus

HI guys,
    i canīt get my 2gbhz to work properly on my K8N Diamond Plus @FSB250
    I tried several Ram Timings, but Memtest (Windows) is reporting errors.
    I got the machine prime95 stable with these settings:

Htt:800 (4)
    FSB 250
    FSB/DRAM 1/1
    CL 3
    TRC 7
    TRFC 17
    TRCD 4
    TRRD 2
    TRAS 8
    TRP 4
    TWR 3 (or AUto)
    TWTR 2 (or Auto)
    TRWT 3 (or auto)
    TREF 200/3,9 (or Auto)
    TWCL 1
    Drive Strength Auto
    R/W Bypass 16
    Bypass Max 7
    Max Async Latency 7
    Read Preample 5,5
    Idle Cycle Limit Auto (16)
    Dynamic Idle Counter Enable
    CMD-ADDR 1T
    Bank Interleave Enable
    Burst Length 4Beat

Prime stable for more than 24 hours, but memtest is still reporting errors.

My CPU is an 4400+ X2 Toledo clocked @ 2500 (10x250), but even with a lower multi like 8x250 iīm still getting memtest errors, so i think it isnīt the memory controller of the CPU....

Are there any G.Skill suggested Timings for the K8n Diamond Plus ?
    Bios Version 1.1

Regards
    Bimme

G.Skill USA Tech
    do you ever get the BSOD?
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Check out our items on NewEgg

Not really...
    Got some BSODīs with the "old" chipset driver, when i had both SATA controllers enabled and an SATA 2 HDD connected to the silicon image controller.
    Since the new driver 6.86, with the SATA2 HDD jumpered to SATA1 and disabled silicon image controller iīve never seen a BSOD till now.
    I got one sudden reboot after opening the CD tray of my plexwriter, when Nero burned sucessfully.(But i donīt think it was the rams fault)
    Iīm playing CSS, Ut2004, Prey, Fear, etc on this machine, and iīve never had a bsod or reboot while gaming with these settings.
    I only have some stuttering in most games with my x1900xtx, and i thought maybe my ram timings are too aggressive... so i checked the ram with memtest (windows) and got errors...
    And iīve a cold boot problem. When i power on the machine after some hours of cooling down, the pc reboots one or two times till it can load windows correctly. I got post errors (or freezes while post) till iīve set the Ram voltage to 2,75V. But after ajusting the voltage, there are only the reboot problems when i do a cold boot....sometimes...
    My friend has the same board, and iīve switched my ram to his machine and clocked it to same speed ( same Board, same Souncard, same graphiccard, only single core cpu). And even with his Board i got the cold boot issue. So i donīt think its the motherboards fault, do you ?

THX and regards
    Bimme

G.Skill USA Tech
    the reason i asked BSOD is cuz sometime win memtest reports error but system is perfect stable.... i mean totally stable.... gaming, doc typing, etc.. memtest is not always right. it is still a program not God...
    in case you were misunderstand my BSOD question

for the cold boot problem, you tested it with same motherboard model but do you have chance to test with another kind of mobo?

or if you really don't have other mobo to test and / or it is cold boot with other mobo let me know, RMA you another pair is no problem

also cold boot problem i don't think it relates with timing
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Well,
    i can test the ram on a Nforce2 board@ 200Mhz. But @200MHZ iīve no cold boot issues ...
    Or i can test it on an DFI Lanparty Expert...but those boards are generally buggy i think. This board wonīt even boot at stock speeds, you will have to overclock to become it boot up and stable.
    My friend who owns the dfi said, that his OCZ platinum doesnīt work @ 200Mhz, but they become stable @245Mhz. Silly boards i think

But iīve another possibility.
    Another friend has the same G.Skill ram...2GBHZ.
    I think i can switch the ram to my machine and look for boot issues.
    If they still exist, it could still be board, but if theyīve gone, i might RMA my pair of 2GBHZ.

Sorry for my terrible English, iīm german...
    Regards
    Bimme

G.Skill USA Tech
    let me know the result
    if you need rma there is no problem

hi again

i haven´t switched the RAM yet, but i´ve performed a bios update to version 1.2 now.
    Memtest (windows) still sucks,
    but i´ve tested with memtest86+ v1.55 (using a single core of course)
    and found no errors @250MHz (29passes, wall time 19hours)
    and found no errors @260MHz (more 20 passes, wall time 13hours)

but @270MHz with same timings i get errors on test 6 or 7...

now i´m trying to run 265MHz...

I haven´t had a cold boot problem with bios 1.2 so far, but i´ve only made 2 cold boots yet...

Do you have any suggestions which timings i should "lower" or "raise up" to come up to 270 MHz?
    For example: try to raise up the max async latency or the read preample...
    or: don´t touch timings like async latency, but try to raise up TRC and TRFC instead...

Thx for your help,
    regards
    Bimme

Xtreme Guru
    don't RMA based on windows memtest. that app sucks. i get errors on every set of RAM i have with memtest.

if its prime and game stable, then don't worry about it. the stuttering in games is more likely to be a software problem. (try re-installing directx).
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

G.Skill USA Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimme
    i haven´t switched the RAM yet, but i´ve performed a bios update to version 1.2 now.
    Memtest (windows) still sucks,
    but i´ve tested with memtest86+ v1.55 (using a single core of course)
    and found no errors @250MHz (29passes, wall time 19hours)
    and found no errors @260MHz (more 20 passes, wall time 13hours)

but @270MHz with same timings i get errors on test 6 or 7...

now i´m trying to run 265MHz...

I haven´t had a cold boot problem with bios 1.2 so far, but i´ve only made 2 cold boots yet...

Do you have any suggestions which timings i should "lower" or "raise up" to come up to 270 MHz?
    For example: try to raise up the max async latency or the read preample...
    or: don´t touch timings like async latency, but try to raise up TRC and TRFC instead...

Thx for your help,
    regards
    Bimme
    becasue i really don't remember how is this mobo work
    i suggest leave the MAL and RP to auto
    but you can play with TRC and TRFC.
    however, those two timing are not really let you overclock a lot!

G.Skill USA Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by itznfb
    don't RMA based on windows memtest. that app sucks. i get errors on every set of RAM i have with memtest.

if its prime and game stable, then don't worry about it. the stuttering in games is more likely to be a software problem. (try re-installing directx).
    none of the program is perfect
    memtest windows is not working on some motherboard but it is one of my recommend testing app
    it is good to run memtest and 32m at the same time
    (run 32m 1st, wait til 2 loops finish and start memtest)
    it is great to use game as testing... but i don't think i can play game during working