Thread: To solve insulation problems, why not just move caps?

Xtreme Enthusiast

To solve insulation problems, why not just move caps?

I noticed that everyone is having problems insulating the lga775 chipset due to the capacitors close to the socket.

In audio, people move caps around all of the time, and even mount them off-pcb if they want to use upgraded ones that don't fit the board. I did this with my headphone amp and it works great.

Looking at the p5b deluxe, there are only ten caps near the socket. Would it adversely affect the motherboard to simply move them a few centimeters away? There is plenty of free pcb space they could be mounted on.

All you would have to do is desolder them, run some nice teflon insulated silver/copper wire a few cm, solder them to the cap's terminals and the pads on the board. The caps could be hot glued to a small peice of double sided tape, which would be taped to the pcb.

The actual mod would take about fifteen minutes and the difficulty level would be quite easy. The only question I have (and don't have the know how to answer) is will it hurt the motherboard's stability? Assuming solid solder joints, the extra resistance that silver wire would add would be virtually nothing. Seems like it would work, will it?
    Last edited by computerpro3; 10-30-2006 at 06:04 PM.
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

Xtreme Member
    Those are power swtiching caps which carries high current (up to hundredth of Amps pulse) and should not be treated as an ordinary "low current" audio signal.

Another centimeter of distance while carrying 100 Amps will make a huge difference, btw did you know most of new mobo now are using smd caps instead of leaded one ? So the olde way of desoldering/soldering leaded components skill might not easily applied here.

Xtreme Member
    Probably fine to move them a few centimeters away, I wouldn't do more unless I could fit some pretty thick wire in there, which is unlikely. But the best is to not move them. Solder some smaller bypass capacitors on the bottom of the board in parallel with the originals if you move them.

Banned
    short answer: not a good idea

long answer: we'll talk after you take a few classes on electronic switching circuits

Xtreme Member
    Definitely a no!!! as the timing needed to sync all the signals in the PC would be screwed... despite popular belief electricity doesn't travel instantly from point A to point B.

did you have a link about good way for insulation ???

thanks

Banned