Thread: HIS HD3870X2 Pictures & Results

HIS HD3870X2 Pictures & Results

R680XT =2x RV670

Radeon HD3870X2 also called R680 is a card based on two RV670 cores that is also used on the HD3870 and HD3850 single cards, the RV670 core is manufactured with a 55nm process witch among others gives lower power consumption and with this also less heat. A single HD3870 uses around 105w witch is half of the R600 core, and the lower power consumption on the RV670 cores was probably one of the conditions for putting two GPU´s on one PCB and not have to assemble a humongous air cooler.
    The HD3870X2 is an astonishing card with some pretty amazing specifications, this card has two cores both clocked in 825 MHz witch is a bit higher than the single HD3870 card. The memory’s on retail HD3870X2 is clocked in 900 MHz, now HD3870X2 uses GDDR3 memory’s instead of GDDR4 and because of that also lower frequencies. HD3870X2 have 640 steam processors, 32 texture units and 1.3 billions transistors etc, it supports DX10.1, Unified Video Decoder, Shader Model 4.1 etc. For the two cores to work together properly ATI/AMD have linked them together with crossfire technology, in between the cores a PEX 8547 chip is placed. This chip is a direct link between the two cores, it also connects the other RV670 core to the PCI-E bus on the motherboard.

HIS Radeon HD3870X2

HIS HD3870X2 comes in a pretty normal sized package with about the same shape and size like their regular HD3870 card, the package is black with some patterns on the front witch gives a nice visual look, there is also some information about the card in the box on the front. On the back of the package there is more information about the card and accessories, here you can also find the specifications. There is also written on the back what kind of hardware and software this cards needs to work properly.
    Under the cover cardboard you will find the graphic card together with the accessories packed in a see through plastic box, the plastic is also shaped after the card and helps to keep it still. For the accessories the plastic is also shaped but like small slots instead, this way everything is separated from each other. Exactly like for the HIS HD3870 ICEQ3 is this a very genuine package that will keep the card safe even when handled very hard.

The first thing that hit me when I picked up the HIS HD3870X2 was the weight and length of the card, even if I had read a lot of reviews and already know this it was still really hard not to be astonished. The length of PCB on the 3870X2 card is 26cm and the weight is somewhere around 1kg, now the PCB is not much heavier than on any other card, it’s the cooler that carry most of the weight The cooler is a dual slot solution and is somewhat similar to what ATI/AD has used on their earlier high end models, now there is a couple of big different, size and weight. Also, this one has to keep two cores cool instead of one.

To operate the HD3870X2 two power connector is needed, one 6 PIN PCI-E and one 8PIN PCI-E. Now the card will work fine with just two 6 Pin PCI-E connectors but with this setup the overdrive software wont be working. So to over clock the card a 6 and 8 pin PCI-E connector has to be used.

There is one crossfire contact on the HD3870X2 witch makes it possible to run Quad Crossfire with two of these cards, on most of ATI/AMD´s newer models there is two crossfire contacts and then possible to connect three cards, but on HD3870X2 one of these is already in use to bridge together the two cores, and this will limit this model to quad crossfire. Now I believe that this should be enough for most people anyway.

Bundle:

HIS have bundles both some regular accessories but also some nice extra stuff that can be really useful, first the regular accessories like DVI-VGA adapter (two), one DVI HDMA adapter, TV out cable, drivers and other software for this card and off course a manual. You also get a crossfire bridge that can be used to connect two HD3870X2 cards, ass usual this bridge is soft and fits great on most motherboards.
    With this card HIS have also bundled a special screwdriver/tool This is first a screw driver with interchangeable stifts, but it also has a water level and a flash light. The light is also placed in the same direction as the stift on the screwdriver and will light up the area you work in, this can be very useful when working in a dark chassi etc.

It can be written so much about this card, but just so I wont be to much text I stop here and show some pictures of the card instead, and for them who wants more specific info on the card there is some great reviews out there.

I also want to say that English is not my first language so this text can be full with spelling mistakes and grammar errors, this text is also translated pretty much directly from my Swedish review and can therefore have some wrong sentence structure etc. But I hope that it will be understandable anyway.

Pictures

The box that the card comes packed in is very much similar to the package for HIS regular HD3870 card.

On the back of the package you can find some information and spec about their HDD3870X2, there is also a couple of icons from hardware sites who have given HIS awards of diffrent kind.

Among the bundled stuff you can find a screwdriver that can also be used as a waterlevel and flashlight

This tool can be great to find when working in a dark chassi or similar, i have actually already used it a couple of times.

HD3870X2 is a very impressive card, it weigh over 1kg and is around 26cm long. This is absolutly one of the biggest cards i have tried.

Results:

Unfortunately i haven’t had the time to really test this card in al the applications yet, but i will do that later this week and will then post the results. I have tested some 3D Mark application and some over clocking but nothing serious yet just out of the box tests. But like i wrote, more serious benching will come later.

System:

Intel QX9650
    ASUS Maximus Formula
    HIS HD3870X2
    Crucial BallistiX 8500
    Silverstone Olympia 1000W

HD3870X2 is here completely out of the box. No tweaks or anything else that will improve the results is made.

3D Mark 06

3D Mark 05

3D Mark 03

Memorys overclocking, 1017Mhz.

More overclocking and results will be posted later this week.
    Last edited by jonbass; 02-12-2008 at 07:24 AM.
    CPU: Intel Kentsfield QX6850 // Motherboard: DFI lanparty 680i LT // RAM: OCZ Flex 9200 5-5-5-18 // GPU: ASUS 8800ULTRA GPU mod
    Power: Silverstone Olympia 1000w // HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB/ 36GB/ // Cooling: SS tuned for Quad Core

Xtreme Member
    great review
    Thermaltake Armor black, Enermax Galaxy 850W DDX, ASUS P6T, Corsair XMS3 3x2gb 1600mhz, Intel Core i7 920,Zerotherm Nirvana, BFG OC 8800 Gtx, 2x250 Western Digital Caviar WD2502ABYS Raid Edition+250 Gb Seagate Barracuda, Samsung T240, Terratec Cinergy T XXS, Logitech Z-5500 Digital, Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express, Sidewinder X5, Logitech G19

Xtreme Enthusiast
    impressive
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    heatkiller(rev3) on 2500k@ 4.5ghz 1.35v,8 gigs 2133 ripjaws 1.5v
    Swiftech Mcp-655,1/2in tygon,13x120 sunnons on junk ps,
    (2)triple 120mm rads,Biostar TP67XE(rev 5.2)
    150 gig velicraptor (stable drive) ssds r still buggy!!
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras, sen hd-595s
    Evga Hydro gtX 590,co0lermaster-1250 watt,
    24" Sony fw-900 black ops at @ 2304x1440 85hz/85fps SOLID
    G@m3r 4 L1Fe!!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0VIEW%20ALL--/
    3dmark 11 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1102387

Xtreme Addict
    nice review man. some real game performance numbers would be greatly appreciated
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    Good review, I am waiting for some Synth. Benchmarks (3DM06) as well.

nice review...

monster
    nice rev
    Main rig
    Intel i7 940@4.0ghz under TRUE 120 Black - Gigabyte EX58 UD5 - 6GB SuperTalent DDR3 1600 mhz - Sapphire Radeon 5870 1GB DDR5 Vapor-X - Corsair HX1000W - 2x320GB Samsung F1 RAID0 - Pioneer 212 - CollerMaster HAF932
    Peripherie
    Samsung T220 22" - Razer Lycosa - Razer Deathadder - SteelSeries QCK+ fnatic - SteelSeries Siberia v2 - Logitech X530 - Canon Smartbase MP390
    Mobile
    Acer Aspire One - Sapphire blue - Atom 1.6ghz/1gb ram/16gb/Windows Xp Home Sp3

Nice review, and nice clocks too.
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz (333x9)
    OCZ XTC SLI 4GB 800mhz 5-5-5-5-18
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 768mb @ 715/900/1430
    Intel SSD G2 80gb
    Western Digital Caviar green 500gb
    Western Digital caviar black 1tb
    Western Digital Caviar black 1tb
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex 1200RPM
    Fractal Design Arc Midi
    Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev 2.0
    Corsair HX 620W.

nice score .

Very nice. Nice scores too.

looks like amd finally got something right...the price/performance is outstanding....not to mention the cool screwdriver...
    i5 750@4.0 gig
    2X2 gig of rip jaws
    asus gene III
    gtx 295
    4x raptors 150gig raid 0
    pcp&c 750 quad
    vista ultimate sp1
    w/c: ek supreme, mcp 355 with xspc, hwl gtx360

Xtreme Member
    Looks very nice! What extra/other coolers can be attached to the card?
    Last edited by Systemcepe; 02-09-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Wow I'm looking forward to seeing the overclock result here. this looks great i might get one too when i have money lol
    Make money by just clicking ads: Click here

Earning money in POUND by searching : Click here

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbass View Post

excellent review but what is that? is it a switch to turn off one core?

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Thanks for al the comments

ReverendMaynard:
    I will post some game results later this week, I have installed Crysis , F.E.A.R and HL2 and will try the card with these games.

Systemcepe:
    There is already a couple of water blocks ready for this card. EK have a great block that I personally will use for this card, and I believe DD and Cool IT also have a block in making for this card. There should probably be more manufactures with blocks for this card but these three is the ones I have read about.
    If you want to use air cooling then I don’t have heard of anything yet, but 3870X2 seems to be quite a popular card so I believe there will be some aftermarket coolers in a not to far future.

Origin_Unknown
    I believe this switch is for PAL/NTSC selection if I am not mistaken.

I have had a lot to do this weekend so i haven’t had much time to test my new hardware, but last night i sat down one hour and continued my tests on HIS HD3870X3. Now i had some problems with heat because i haven’t yet assembled any fans or other extras that can help the X2 card to stay cool when overclocked, but i will try to do that tonight. Also i will as soon as i get the time remove the cooler and change thermal paste etc. I will also see if i can find any better cooling for this card.

I continued my tests last night and it seems like the GPU can run in 905Mhz with only stock cooler, and this with no problems at al. And my memorys have been running in 1017Mhz, but i still belive they can go a bit higher, this is with the card completly out of the box.

Here are a couple of futuremark results, now I still run the CPU, memory’s and FSB a bit lower than they can handle so I think 23500p in 06 shouldn’t be a problem with the card out of the box.

Last edited by jonbass; 02-12-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    CPU: Intel Kentsfield QX6850 // Motherboard: DFI lanparty 680i LT // RAM: OCZ Flex 9200 5-5-5-18 // GPU: ASUS 8800ULTRA GPU mod
    Power: Silverstone Olympia 1000w // HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB/ 36GB/ // Cooling: SS tuned for Quad Core

Xtreme Member
    Nice Review!
    This is not enought.

At last, a card without those silly stickers.

Do we know the price?

ya what are those 2 switches on the back of the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    excellent review but what is that? is it a switch to turn off one core?
    Quote Originally Posted by jpercel View Post
    ya what are those 2 switches on the back of the card?
    They are for selecting NTSC or PAL for the analog output signal. Ati has used these on several cards

What did you use to OC it. I run mine at 960/1005 and get a lower score in 3DMark06??

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonas View Post
    At last, a card without those silly stickers.

Do we know the price?
    My sapphire version came with a sticker, apart from that decided to peel off when overclocking this card.

My OC - 952 Core, 999 Memory
    (stock 825, 900)
    Fan 100% Max temp - 54 degrees.

Personally I can see why someone would want to water cool this card (the noise) but the stock air cooler is a very good one anyway if your not into aftermarket coolers.

in the U.K. you can pick this card up for £240, US $400

Xtreme Member
    still a sweet card, i want one bad.
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Q6700
    Crucial Ballistics Tracers 4x1gb 1066 DDR2
    ATI X1800XT
    Seagate 250gb / 750gb SATA
    OCZ 600w
    Swiftech Storm, GPU, Pump, Res, BI GT240 Stealth