Thread: hybrid "cascade"?

Xtreme Enthusiast

hybrid "cascade"?

Can the performance of a SS be improved by adding a Peltier as a second stage? (It will be used for a small load.) How much improvement should I expect assuming the SS can take the total load?

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

-150c Club Member
    None, standard peltiuers arent designed for those temperatures. Also the SS would be dealing with ALOT more heat than usual.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The SS will be sized for up to 150w load. I plan to use an 80w Peltier and 40w CPU (old Celeron for practice). That will be a total load of 120w, still within the limits of the unit. When I use the unit with a new CPU, I'll simply remove the Peltier and use it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

-150c Club Member
    Probably 1c colder at coldplate, and then load would be terrible temps.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by star882
    The SS will be sized for up to 150w load. I plan to use an 80w Peltier and 40w CPU (old Celeron for practice). That will be a total load of 120w, still within the limits of the unit. When I use the unit with a new CPU, I'll simply remove the Peltier and use it elsewhere.

The efficenty of a peltier gets worse as you cool it past a point especially at sub-zero temps, so cooling the peliter w/ an SS would be the same as putting a plate of copper plate between the SS evap and the CPU and thus would really have no effect.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gary Lord (great teacher!) told in a thread at teampuss long time ago that you can put a peltier right after the filter in a single stage and boost it using r410 straight. In my opinion it will work, not great but it will.