Thread: WC setup and performance questions

Xtreme Enthusiast

WC setup and performance questions

I know a lot of people post here asking questions about their WC setups and Ive tried to read as much as I can about what Im getting, including the stickies, and I seem like I cant find anybody that has the combo that I want.

Heres what choices Im looking at:
    Storm rev.2
    Maze 4 GPU
    Thermochill 120.2 w/ AquaXtreme HiFlo fittings
    Swiftech Microres
    MD20RLZT

Now what Im asking is, minus tubing and additves, is there anything else I need or missing?
    For me this is a pretty penny to pay for a WC setup, but I want to get the best the first time, though I am wondering if I can maybe replace some things to cut the price though not lose much performance.

The replacements Im looking at:
    Thermochill 160 w/AquaXtreme HiFlo fittings
    MD20RLT
    AquaXtreme 50Z

Which combo of all these components, first setup and replacements, would give me close performance to the first setup, but with less cost?

Thanks ahead for reading.

Xtreme Addict
    Don't expect a PA160 to hold good temps with a cpu and gpu block, especially with upcoming cards. The PA160 is grossly overpriced for a single rad. If you can, a 120.3 will be a much better investment. Also, you can use a DDC-2/MCP355 with petra's top. Use the money saved for the extra $10 to get a 120.3.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Xtreme Member
    Looks good from here.....Meself I think I'd stick with the PA 120.2 for the rad. I think I'd probably skip the Iwaki too. In favor of a DDC w/ Petra top.(Save a few $$$) Maybe spend the diff onna' PA120.3. What's the rest of the rig like? OC'd? OC'd big time? What kinda' heat-load do you expect?
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As of right now, its an Opty 165 at 300x9 with 1.475v, I could lower it but I have it up right now just to make sure. I know it can go higher but it just needs cooler temps.
    Also, eventually Im going phase and will have this setup turned into just a GPU loop.
    So I should get a 120.3 with the DDC pump?
    What about the 50Z?
    Maxx said in the stickies that it was a very good pump and its somewhat cheap.
    What kind of temp difference would I see going from the Iwaki to the DDC?

Xtreme Member
    Liang DDC+ with an Alphacool or Petra's top is on par with the Iwaki, if not even better. The 50Z is definately not any better than the DDC+. Like they said above, a 120.3 would be the best choice for a radiator. And I might skip that reservoir if I were you. All you really need is a fillport/t-line. And there's less chance of a leak with a fillport than there is with a reservoir...

Abit KN8
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2.6GHz
    Thermalright SI-97A w/56 CFM Panaflow
    2GB G.Skill DDR500 GBHZs 0603
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT w/Zalman VF700-CU
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    160GB Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive
    500W XG Vortec Ver. 2 PSU
    NZXT Zero/Logitech MX518, X-530/Saitek Eclipse

CPU soon to be under WATER (this time I mean it)

Planned '07 upgrades: 19" widescreen LCD, mid-range DX10 card

Banned
    if your goin phase with the cpu, just stick to a pa120.2, it can cool your cpu and gpu for now, and later on your gpus while your cpu goes phase, save some cash now.

as for pump a single ddc-2 with Petra's Top should suffice for your pump as this is currently the best out there without going overboard with an iwaki monster size/bigger heat dump pump...

I am Xtreme
    The 50z is awesome. I have one and I love it. Great performance, and it's VERY quiet.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do any of you guys have any temperature comparisons between the pumps?
    Thats mostly what Im on the fence about getting.
    Cause if its not that much, then Ill just get the DDC instead of the Iwaki.
    Also, would the Iwaki just be too powerful for what Im using?
    Since Im not using it cool 2 GPUs and NB, and just CPU, GPU.

Banned
    getting your hands on an iwaki is going to be expensive, and wasteful because next time you'll just be cooling your gpus and or nb while cpu goes to phase.

with the money saved on just buying a single ddc-2 with top instead of the iwaki you could buy a better radiator, true the pa160 can probably handle the heat load of your gpus but with the advent of newer gpus running hotter it would be wiser to invest in a bigger radiator the pa120.3 would be better for you.

here read this for temp clarifications.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=77260

Xtreme Member
    Hehe.. I can't really post my temps. I don't have an accurate means of measuring them. Board sensor sez Idle temps are lower than possible. So until I figure out the exact error there is little point. My pump isn't really that good.When I add the vga block I think I'll upgrade my pump too. Try to maintain my temps. For biggest and best rads. The Iwaki has a pretty nice edge. But some have extra heat dump too. And cost extra $$$. DDC2 w/ petras top sofar looks to be the best. For most use anyway. That's what I'm gonna' do. When I getta' round to fixin' stuff that werls fine.
    Last edited by Clay; 11-24-2006 at 11:04 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Well I own the Petra's Tech top with the DDC-2 Swiftech pump and it's near silent and does a great job for my GPU (35c) but my CPU is around (55c) although I think thats my fault for buying into the Black Ice Pro 2 series radiators.. With that ThermoChill 120.3 you won't have ANY issues... DDCT-01 FTW