Thread: 6800 died, what is this?

6800 died, what is this?

Hi All sometime ago my 6800 died and it looked like something in the power switching circuits i was wondering what it was? what it does? and would it be able to be replaced?

This whole area on my board is discoloured by heat and the component in question has a big crack on the surface.

the pink arrow points at the component on the back of the card (not my card just another pic of the forum)

Any help would be great as it would be nice if i could revive this card.

Cheers
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Does it look bubbly around the discoloured area at all if it does there is a chance that the pcb has de- laminated. From the pic it looks like a SOD or SMA/B/C package diode or a tant cap. As it's damaged you probably wont be able to read the 3-4 digit code, without the code you wont even know the exact part number. Try and find high res pics of your card on google or ask around and see if anyone can Identify the part.

Good Luck
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

nope not bubbly thankfully, just brown greensih (the PCB is blue) umm I might actually be able to read it, yep i can just read it

S04
    4F

those are the markings on the top, i guess my biggest concern with this is that when it died it took the Core or something else with it.

Thanks,
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Full name:1PS76SB10 is a possible candidate a SOD323 case Schottky barrier diode I will check and see if i can confirm it first as there is a small chance it might not be the right part. If it is then a replacement should not be a problem but what other damage there possibly might be.
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Xtreme Member
    Is there any chance you have got a ruler and can measure the length of the plastic case for me as it would narrow down the possibilities.

Should be around 1.6-1.8mm

ok it is 4mmx2mm hope that helps
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Right it does not look like its SOD232 from the measurement you took. The next possible package is SMA which is 4.06X2.29mm. Give me about 10min I will get two drawings uploaded and you should be able to tell me from looking at the damaged part.

Xtreme Member
    Got some PDF's instead (Hope you have got acrobat installed)
    Does it look more like this one:
    http://www.fairchildsemi.com/product...df/sma_dim.pdf

Or this one:
    http://www.fairchildsemi.com/product...sod323_dim.pdf

actually on closer inpection the numbers on top are

SD4
    4F

sorry about that.
    SyNtH
    -------

ok looked at the PDF's I can't be 100% but it looks like the first one, however I just found my flatmates Digital camera and thankfully the battery wasn't flat so here it is in all its crispy glory

WARNING the first one if 2.5meg
    http://www.synth.centelia.net/6800component.JPG

This one is the same photo just cropped and 200K+
    http://www.synth.centelia.net/6800component2.jpg

Again thanks heaps if i can get this puppy going again it would be great.

Cheers
    Last edited by synth; 10-11-2006 at 06:26 PM.
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Right I have had a look at some other pictures of 6800le cards look at the white text around the damaged part should read D503 if it is then I think we got it

This pic shows more clearly.

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=memfb17hp.jpg

I got a 404 error on both pics upload them on image shack if you can

oh dear, that was my fault now try them, oh and its D501 not D503 BUT as you will see is probably the same.
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    They look the same but there are differences between them. I can only assume that they are the same and your card is a different revision to the one in the other picture. And we all know assumption is the mother of all ---- up's.

Xtreme Member
    Right on your card just above the damaged part there should be another similar looking part can you tell me the code of that part.

Edit: Just looked at some pics and its the same part number IR1F0424L

Edit 2: As long as the damaged part is the same as the one further up then I would say that it is
    https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...uctID=10MQ040N
    Last edited by crodan85; 10-11-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Xtreme Member
    This is where you can buy it in 1 pice qty
    http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...=17864&Site=US

don't know how much the shipping would cost also I don't know of any electronics distributors in NZ

Or from RS NZ
    http://www.rsnewzealand.com/cgi-bin/...cape&Nr=avl:nz
    Last edited by crodan85; 10-11-2006 at 06:58 PM.

yep just confirmed that D501(damaged) and D503 are the same part on my card, excellent so I wonder what the chances are of the card working if i replace that part....seeing as its just a diode? oh by the way thanks for your help Mate I'll see if I can find somewhere In NZ that can supply me one of these or a "donor" card
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    They should be cheap to get so you haven't got anything to loose by trying. It might not work at all but you will never know with out trying. Good luck I hope it works.

The un-extreme XIP
    it's a voltage regulating diode. shoudlnt be too hard to find and replace.

be aware that digikey ahs a $25 minimum order or they charge you a fee. check your local electronics supply store or look on a dead hard drive.

these are polar devices, make sure polarity is good before you solder it on.
    Last edited by cirthix; 10-11-2006 at 09:51 PM.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

excellent thanx mate, yeah i found them localy for $1.38(nz) each min 10 so $14 odd to get it owrking again (or not) isn't to bad a gamble and yeah I'm guessing the whitish mark, marks the polarity so i'll be sure to solder the same way, Thanks again guys and I'll let ya know either way.

Cheers.
    SyNtH
    -------