Thread: Memory Overlock Timings Questions

Xtreme Member

Memory Overlock Timings Questions

I have a set of 2GB Patriot PC2-5300 DDR2 667Mhz RAM, along with a slighly overlocked E6600 (running at 320x9 = 2.88Ghz)

Right now, I pushed the voltage up to 2.0V, and I'm running 800Mhz at 4-4-4-10 stable.

Earlier, when I tried 4-3-3-8 in MemTest86+, there were a lot of errors piling up immediatly from the start. Now however, lowest Itried 4-4-3-3 in MemTest86+ and no errors were showing up from the start, I didn't run the test for long, because I'm not sure about those timings.

My main question is, can RAM be damaged from lowering timings? I know pushing up the voltage can, but I'm only running them at 2.0V.

My second question is, say these sticks do pass MemTest86+ at 4-4-3-3 timings for say, 5 hours - does that mean they are always stable (refferring back to when I got error at 4-3-3-8 timings at the same speed and voltage) Is it possible that the command rate was changed from 1T to 2T by Auto, making 4-3-3-3 timings work?

Third question... Why do only my first 4 timings show up in CPU-Z? And where do I set the command rate in the BIOS (Gigabyte DS3 F6)?

Thanks in advance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan21
    My main question is, can RAM be damaged from lowering timings? I know pushing up the voltage can, but I'm only running them at 2.0V.
    No it can't be damaged by lowering timings & try 2.1V!

My second question is, say these sticks do pass MemTest86+ at 4-4-3-3 timings for say, 5 hours - does that mean they are always stable (refferring back to when I got error at 4-3-3-8 timings at the same speed and voltage) Is it possible that the command rate was changed from 1T to 2T by Auto, making 4-3-3-3 timings work?
    To test settings run Memtest86+ test 5 for 20 loops this test heats the memory up the most & will tell you quickly if the memory will fail at that clock speed! If it passes double check by using windows memtest upto 1000%.

Third question... Why do only my first 4 timings show up in CPU-Z? And where do I set the command rate in the BIOS (Gigabyte DS3 F6)?
    You can't set the command rate on intel boards to my knowledge!

Xtreme Member
    Ok, well, when I set timings really low, will the command rate automatically go from 1T to 2T,

And what would be faster overall? Higher timings with 1T, or lower timings with 2T?

Xtreme Member
    Ok, well, when I set timings really low, will the command rate automatically go from 1T to 2T,

And what would be faster overall? Higher timings with 1T, or lower timings with 2T?
    For DDR2 i reckon it's Lower latencies, higher frequencies with 2T.