Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lets get some gpu folding done

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
    I think it'll be awhile before anyone catches up with you angra (if that is even possible!)
    I don't mind if people catch up to me . But other teams that are less reliant on a server farm may close the gap and/or outgain us. On the other hand, XS is probably more likely than the average F@H team to have a lot of GPUs, so who knows.

Xtreme Cruncher
    People! You has to remember this a beta testing phase... there will be adjustments after this. I found that link that Pythagoras gave to official forums is very worthfull But Sparky found himself some of the tweaks they did.

And. If this (gpu folding) means I'm at team stats 100th in future... it's perfectly fine by me if it means our team performance leaps compared to the other teams. Or what do think Angra. Wouldn't that be great :P We will still always remember and cherish your efforts !
    EDIT: you answered to this while I was writing. I'm glad you think that way

XS Mad Scientist

a note about GPU overclocking

I wanted to mention one thing that I have noticed doing GPGPU research. (of which FAH-GPU is a subset of the field).

I have found that for doing real calculations, the GPU is _way_ more sensitive to overclocking than for playing games. To the point that when I am doing research work, I never ever overclock my GPU, only run it at stock. This may be overkill, but if you guys start having any problems, I would definitely suggest going to stock speeds as an early step, even if you feel like you are 100% stable for games at higher settings.

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00p
    EDIT: you answered to this while I was writing. I'm glad you think that way
    Glory is nothing! The team is all!

I want XS to excel. The individual points are nice, but if I had a magic wand to make the rest of XS 1000x more productive at a snap and leave me the same I would do it in a heartbeat

beefin' it up!
    angra, how does it compare to ATITool's "artifact detection" system? Perhaps that is GPGPU-based for a good load...

well, my x1900GT is on board

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by angra
    Glory is nothing! The team is all!

I want XS to excel. The individual points are nice, but if I had a magic wand to make the rest of XS 1000x more productive at a snap and leave me the same I would do it in a heartbeat
    QFT You're the man

And our talks don't really have yet anything to base on... as you've got quite a bunch of points LOL
    One would need lots of gpus at full efficiency if wishes to overtake you

EDIT: I need to go to sleep... it's 2:30 AM here Carry on.
    Last edited by sc00p; 10-02-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Well from reading on stanford's F@H forum I need an X2 if I want to run the GPU client and one CPU client at the same time. Sounds like that might change later, but at this point that is what is needed. I have a little over 4 hours left on one WU that my CPU is doing so once that is done I think I'll kill the CPU client and run the GPU client instead for a while and see what happens

Maybe I'll mess around with priorities later on and see if I can get the CPU client and GPU client running at the same time without sacrificing too much of either.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

beefin' it up!
    my FAHCore_10.exe doesn't seem to be using very much CPU power... its used 30 CPU-seconds in the past 20ish minutes. but, then again, it hasn't completed one step yet even and GPU temps are low (49C according to ATITool )

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    angra, how does it compare to ATITool's "artifact detection" system? Perhaps that is GPGPU-based for a good load...

well, my x1900GT is on board
    i don't know, sorry. my experience and comments are anecdotal at best and not rigorously studied

beefin' it up!
    ok
    im keeping mine stock regardless... heck, on the stock cooler, i wouldn't even OC it for games.

my FAHCore_10.exe doesn't seem to be using very much CPU power... its used 30 CPU-seconds in the past 20ish minutes. but, then again, it hasn't completed one step yet even and GPU temps are low (49C according to ATITool )
    If you have your CPU busy with other F@H clients it will not. Right now you need a whole core to work in conjuction with the graphics card. If I am understanding it correctly they are hoping to make it not that way later on but at this point that is how it is.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

beefin' it up!
    I've got priority for FahCore_10.exe and FAH505beta1-console.exe both set to "normal", so it can steal all the CPU cycles it wants. It is doing something though, it just completed its first step

YouTube Addict
    Catalyst driver version 6.5 [download from ATI or from a Stanford mirror ]. Version 6.10currently does NOT work [download from ATI ] and ATI is working to fix this. Versions 6.6 and 6.7 will work, but at a major performance hit; 6.8 and 6.9 will not work at all. Due to all the complexities of support, we will support only versions 6.5 and 6.10.
    Just to add some info
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Wait, 6.10 does not work now? Darn I gotta downgrade my drivers then to 6.5 I take it. hmm.....
    The Cardboard Master

I am Xtreme
    6.10 works here.

beefin' it up!
    thankfully ATI driver downgrades are waaay easier than nvidian ones

YouTube Addict
    thankfully ATI driver downgrades are waaay easier than nvidian ones
    very true, I just wish I knew about that before I upgraded to 6.10
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    very true, I just wish I knew about that before I upgraded to 6.10
    Same here. When I upgraded stanford's site still said 6.5 or 6.10. Ahhh figures
    The Cardboard Master

Banned
    6.10 drivers, 5.0.5 F@H GPU console client...CPU runs ~55% and the GPU temps on my X1900XTX @ 685/800 tops out at around 87C with silent aircooling....may need to hold off on this until I get these cards back under water...never seen GPU temps that high before! wowzers.

heh that is normal operating temps

I'm serious, I have the stock cooler on my stock X1900XT at stock settings and see 90*C under load consistently. Nothing abnormal there.
    I don't necessarily like it though but not much I can do. I can't afford watercooling and these 3rd-party coolers don't seem that great, although the new thermalright looks promising. I really want the IceQ3 cooler that HIS has but I can't get one separately.
    The Cardboard Master

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    6.10 drivers, 5.0.5 F@H GPU console client...CPU runs ~55% and the GPU temps on my X1900XTX @ 685/800 tops out at around 87C with silent aircooling....may need to hold off on this until I get these cards back under water...never seen GPU temps that high before! wowzers.
    This'll drop alot of people's GPU overclock...

Xtreme Mentor
    umm... new GPU stability test?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink
    umm... new GPU stability test?
    Most likely

OK I got it running, so far it has done 3 steps (or whatever they are) and the GPU temps are staying around 73*C (stock everything except for some AS5 in place of the original stuff). Taking just over 8 min per step. I have it set to request 100% usage, idle priority. I have had one EUE so far.

Interesting thing is, it is working my CPU harder than the CPU F@H client does My CPU fan is set to ramp up at 47*C and typically the temps while running the CPU client are around 45-ish so I rarely hear the fan kick into high gear. However right now I am hearing the fan speed up/down, up... down, up....down, etc. Interesting. Also the memory usage is very high - currently it is using about 160MB of RAM and 160MB of pagefile.

I'm guessing it'll get better and less of a system hog as they refine it.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Enthusiast
    is it possible to run 3 instances on a dual core p4 with a x1900xtx? one instance on each core like I have now and an extra one on the gpu?

or do I have to turn off the cpu instances to run the gpu version?

thanks
    hoax

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast