Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get some gpu folding done

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well my standard GUI seems to be running OK - Fahcore10.exe is still using 50% CPU (PD805@3.6) and my GPU temps have risen reassuringly. This machine is horrible to use tho'. Logfile says it's completed 1 after ~10mins, 1 of what I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by angra
    do you really need 6.10? web page implies 6.5 is ok too.
    Yes you need the 6.1's. On ATi's website it says to run the client that's what you need.

Edit seems like the FAQ says only 6.5 and 6.1 beta.
    Last edited by Overclocker16; 10-02-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    Well my standard GUI seems to be running OK - Fahcore10.exe is still using 50% CPU (PD805@3.6) and my GPU temps have risen reassuringly. This machine is horrible to use tho'. Logfile says it's completed 1 after ~10mins, 1 of what I don't really know.

Thats the screen i have... but i have no indication that my x1900xtx is folding..

Current GPU temp is 54* C

hasnt moved... altho if someone wants to start a walkthrough that'd be great

EDIT: except mine doesnt have the logo's at the bottom.

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    1 of what indeed. I get about 1 per 8 minutes. is it %? That would mean about 13 hours per WU. 20X "baseline" would imply 3k points per day, or 1500 points for the GPU work unit? Seem possible?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angra
    1 of what indeed. I get about 1 per 8 minutes. is it %? That would mean about 13 hours per WU. 20X "baseline" would imply 3k points per day, or 1500 points for the GPU work unit? Seem possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEnsign @ Forum.folding-community.org
    Here is a short description of the projects we are using to test the GPU client and core.

p2711 : lambda repressor, a fast-folding mutant. This is an exciting project because if everything is right we should see a LARGE proportion of these suckers fold because of the huge increase in simulation time the GPUs afford us. This means we have to make less approximations in describing the process and rate of folding. The physical system is a bit naive, however: the implicit solvent model is extremely basic.

p2721: same as 2711, except the solvent model is a bit more sophisticated.

p2722 and p2723: same as previous two, just simulating at higher temperature, so that we see more exploration of conformations. (More data!)

points 220
    deadline 4 days

Dan
    These WUs are only worth 220 points... = 440 ppd. These point values are going to turn a lot of people off from the GPU folding, including me.

Mr. Boardburner
    As soon as more chips are supported (currently the only thing I have is an X1300), I'm in. What bout RAM-usage? Gotta love this
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc[AZ]
    These WUs are only worth 220 points... = 440 ppd. These point values are going to turn a lot of people off from the GPU folding, including me.

well, I was only conjecturing about what the "Completed" might mean. maybe it's not %. Maybe it's 10% . Let's wait until the points hit steady state before we commit to loving or hating it

Here to help
    8 minutes sounds about right for a frame. Points, like the client, are really beta at the minute, not sure what they will be.

Cpu useage shown by taskmanager may not be what it says. Lets just remember its beta client with beta catalyst and early days, but the future looks bright .

Catalyst versions which work are 6.5 and 6.10beta.

Regards

John.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by Rmc[AZ]
    Well for me that would help out my ppd quite a bit

Do you have to shut down the FAH client for the CPU though? It says they don't recommend running multiple clients, and since I only have a single core does this mean I have to shut down the one on the CPU?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah mine's on a 2722 - bottom of the current WU's page:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

2000 steps, hhhmm.

EDIT> I wouldn't expect the points to be too great, having thought about it, I imagine all the GPU folders storming to the top of the charts could be quite demoralising for CPU folders.
    Last edited by jimwah; 10-02-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Here to help
    Completed is reporting frames not steps so it will be 100 to completion.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Here to help
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

Do you have to shut down the FAH client for the CPU though? It says they don't recommend running multiple clients, and since I only have a single core does this mean I have to shut down the one on the CPU?
    Sparky no you dont.

Here to help
    Best place to get answers initially, as this will be monitored extensively, is here:

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewforum.php?f=54

Regards

John.

Xtreme Member
    I keep getting Early end units too, and I am using the recommended drivers, and dx version

sweet. Updating my drivers now. We'll see how long I can put up with stock cooler noise before I finally go nuts and get some sort of replacement cooler
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

well, cool, the cluster won't be totally obsoleted, at least not right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BandofBrothers
    I keep getting Early end units too, and I am using the recommended drivers, and dx version
    I am getting help on fixing mine.

Make sure you dont disable optimizations.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm in with my 1950xtx...I think.

I downloaded the console version.

-SS

Xtreme Addict
    remember not to install the service if you use the txt client, it doesnt do anything if you do.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

I think it'll be awhile before anyone catches up with you angra (if that is even possible!)

looks like I'm up and running...

GPU temps have only risen by 6*C though, I was expecting a whole lot more. I know for CPU the core priority is usually on idle, for this is it supposed to be the same?
    Last edited by Sparky; 10-02-2006 at 02:28 PM.
    The Cardboard Master

well, I am certainly excited about this, so is most of your competition over at the 'other' forum currently looking for find a nice, used XT/ XTX card though.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildblue
    Wonder if we could mod an INF file to report the X1600XT as an X1900 purely just to crunch ?
    Can easily mod the drivers to detect any radeon as a x1900xt/xtx.
    I don't know if it'll work though.

Xtreme Cruncher
    No ATI's card here

Here to help
    Which forum is that, you can mention any here Including a link please .

Regards

John.

aha I think I found it. It had done seemingly nothing since I started it, so I shut it down and reconfigured it to core priority of "low" vs "idle" and already my temps have risen to 68*C. I think it is running full tilt now

EDIT 71*C now, the fan just sped up... hehehe

EDIT 2: OH CRAP. Doing that took all the CPU power away from the F@H core on my CPU. I thought I could run both of these together The GPU core has "completed 1" whatever that means... is there any way to get both the GPU and CPU clients running at the same time without stealing from each other so much?
    Last edited by Sparky; 10-02-2006 at 02:43 PM.
    The Cardboard Master

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast