Thread: Any interesting ideas for this rig setup?

Any interesting ideas for this rig setup?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any sweet little ideas for adding or changing this rig setup.

LCD Monitor: ViewSonic 23” WideScreen VP2330wb
    Cabinet: Silverstone TJ09 Black
    Power Supply Unit: Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
    Køling (CPU): Scythe Infinity
    Køling (VGA): (Undefined - any ideas?)
    Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX6700
    Memory: Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched
    Optical Drives: Samsung SH-S182D
    Hard Drives: 2 x WD Raptor WD1500ADFD
    Video Cards: eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution

Cheers,
    Bassa

Egyptian OverClocker
    why do u need the quad core, unless u will use prg that will benefit from it , u better get a dual core like a E6700 and spent the money on something else or save it

i guess if u won't need the dual core then a E6700 wand a Raid card for around 300$ will be much better
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Unless you plan on going sli, that board really won't help you much since there are better oc boards out there than the 680i.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT
    why do u need the quad core, unless u will use prg that will benefit from it , u better get a dual core like a E6700 and spent the money on something else or save it

i guess if u won't need the dual core then a E6700 wand a Raid card for around 300$ will be much better
    windows vista ultimate/business support quad-core.
    and yeh i would change the mobo, maybe p5 wh deluxe if you want to oc. if you don't want to oc i would still change the mobo bcuze it has loads of issues

Quote Originally Posted by Drunner611
    Unless you plan on going sli, that board really won't help you much since there are better oc boards out there than the 680i.
    I don't usually OC that much, so it's not a priority.

And yes, I am planning on going SLI later, and might even do it to start with.

Cheers,
    Bassa

Quote Originally Posted by Drag
    windows vista ultimate/business support quad-core.
    and yeh i would change the mobo, maybe p5 wh deluxe if you want to oc. if you don't want to oc i would still change the mobo bcuze it has loads of issues
    Under no Circumstances will a P5W DH Deluxe overclock more then an 680i...

I would change the following things:

CPU: E6600
    CPU Cooling: Sunbeam Tuniq 120mm Tower
    Memory: G.Skill PC8000HZ DDR1000 Cas4
    Mouse: DEFINITELY NOT THE MX REVOLUTION! I would look at the MX518, the G5 rev2 or the Razer DeathAdder.
    Video Card: Get the eVGA 8800GTX ASC3 Edition which means it comes with a better cooling as there are no custom 8800 coolants in the market right now. I would also get a 2nd 8800GTX instead of going for the QX6700 as a single GTX would have problems with HD graphics combined with 1920x1200 resolutions.
    Case (or Cabinet): Don't get the TJ07, I presonally can't find anything good about this case... Go with the Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution or the Stacker 832. (Or even the nVidia edition if you can get your hands on one)

Also, I would like to add that the monitor you picked is more of a 'proffesional' monitor as it is more suited for different graphical editing that gaming. If you intend to mostly play on this computer I would suggest getting the cheaper (yet bigger) Samsung 244t 24" 6ms.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidityTheory
    Under no Circumstances will a P5W DH Deluxe overclock more then an 680i...

I would change the following things:

CPU: E6600
    CPU Cooling: Sunbeam Tuniq 120mm Tower
    Memory: G.Skill PC8000HZ DDR1000 Cas4
    Mouse: DEFINITELY NOT THE MX REVOLUTION! I would look at the MX518, the G5 rev2 or the Razer DeathAdder.
    Video Card: Get the eVGA 8800GTX ASC3 Edition which means it comes with a better cooling as there are no custom 8800 coolants in the market right now. I would also get a 2nd 8800GTX instead of going for the QX6700 as a single GTX would have problems with HD graphics combined with 1920x1200 resolutions.
    Case (or Cabinet): Don't get the TJ07, I presonally can't find anything good about this case... Go with the Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution or the Stacker 832. (Or even the nVidia edition if you can get your hands on one)

Also, I would like to add that the monitor you picked is more of a 'proffesional' monitor as it is more suited for different graphical editing that gaming. If you intend to mostly play on this computer I would suggest getting the cheaper (yet bigger) Samsung 244t 24" 6ms.
    I'm a professional webdesigner and graphics artist.

CPU - I prefer the Quad Core chip. It's more expensive, but it's a better choice for my line of work. Also, paying more for good and future-ready components is no concern.

CPU Cooling - I considered the Tuniq Tower, yeah, but the Infinity cooler is more silent, and since I don't plan on massive OC'ing, it'll fit my demands better.

Memory - My choice is the Corsair XMS2 (4 x 1 GB / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-6400 CL3 / 800 MHz). I did consider converting to the G.Skill modules, but I've always had great experiences with the Corsair manufactorer, so I've chosen them again.

Case - I never mentioned anything about buying the TJ07 case. I've picked the TJ09 case from Silverstone. Period.

Video Card(s) - It'll take a month or two before I make the final purchase, and by that time, I'm hoping that the GeForce 8900 cards have been released. Then I'll go SLI with two of those.

Mouse - Razer DeathAdder? Taken. Cool!

Cheers,
    Bassa

Banned
    there are no 8900 planned to be released, even the name 8900 was a rumor.

Banned
    You know, Core 2 Duo/Quad's 64 bit instructions are slower than its 32 bit instructions, so if you're really looking for the most raw CPU performance, I'd look elsewhere than a 64-bit OS, much less Vista. Why would you want to bother with Vista at this, its earliest stage? I mean, it's inevitable that some of your hardware/software is going to fight with Vista, and for a professional graphics designer, I wouldn't think you'd have the time to dig up Vista's cute little, user-made 'workarounds' to get things operating as they should.

If you currently have an XP disc, I'd use that until more compatibility issues in Vista are ironed out. Yes, it may be a shiny, new OS, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for prime time (even though Microsoft thinks it is).

Banned
    Lets just say you want 4gb fore vista and only 64bit reconizes vista so that would be your best option. but fore 2gb 32bit will work to

Xtreme CCIE
    I may not be reading this right, but you seem to be implying that not all versions of Vista will support Quad cores Drag, and if that's the case you should know that M$ licenses their OS's by socket not core since Windows XP at least. You can in fact use quad, octal, or hex-cored processors if you wanted and you should be just fine. They wouldn't be optimized, but they should work.

Also, 32-bit XP and Vista OS's both support 4GB of RAM. It doesn't display as it all being useful to you, but it's there. The OS simply "hides" some of it because it reserves it for its own use.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Banned
    that hiding stuff is bs tough, and yes it will work but you won't benefit from the os programs.

Quote Originally Posted by bassa
    I'm a professional webdesigner and graphics artist.

CPU - I prefer the Quad Core chip. It's more expensive, but it's a better choice for my line of work. Also, paying more for good and future-ready components is no concern.
    If this is the case then I guess you would be best and get the Quad Core.

CPU Cooling - I considered the Tuniq Tower, yeah, but the Infinity cooler is more silent, and since I don't plan on massive OC'ing, it'll fit my demands better.
    The Tuniq is still quiter then the Scythe Infinty... Actually, the Tuniq without the fan is about as cool as the Infinity is with its stock fan so you could just take that Tuniq's fan out and get complete silence.

Memory - My choice is the Corsair XMS2 (4 x 1 GB / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-6400 CL3 / 800 MHz). I did consider converting to the G.Skill modules, but I've always had great experiences with the Corsair manufactorer, so I've chosen them again.
    What kind of exepriences can you have with a memory...? The G.Skill is just better at everything, it's better at overclocking and this module even runs cooler then most other modules do.

Case - I never mentioned anything about buying the TJ07 case. I've picked the TJ09 case from Silverstone. Period.
    Yeah I was talking about the TJ09... When you compare it to the Stacker 830 Evo the the 830 is just better on every front. It's way cooler (The TJ09 is a relatively hot case), more spacious working area, special racks for Raptor HDs, costs less, looks way better (imo), the only Case that is 8800GTX SLi certified by nVidia, it's lighter, and I can just keep going >.>

Video Card(s) - It'll take a month or two before I make the final purchase, and by that time, I'm hoping that the GeForce 8900 cards have been released. Then I'll go SLI with two of those.
    As stated here before, the 8900 is just a rumor.
    In 2 months time though you'll have R600 on the market.

Mouse - Razer DeathAdder? Taken. Cool!
    Ownage mouse dude
    Just be aware that it's only for right handed people.

Cheers,
    Bassa
    Reponse is inside the quote ^^

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Drag
    that hiding stuff is bs tough, and yes it will work but you won't benefit from the os programs.
    Oh man, that's just too awful...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point