Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OCZ Technology EVOStream 600W Power Supply (modular PSU)

Xtreme Member
    Yay! Can you give us any word on when they'll be out? Hopefully if the 600 is under 150. This looks to be my next psu .

Xtreme Member

Abit IP35 Pro
    Tuniq Tower
    Q6600 G0 @ 3600mhz
    Ballistix Tracer 6400
    X1900xt 512
    Silverstone 650 Zeus

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    well, the GXS does have horrible horrible ripple, even compared to psu's that people think are crappy. and if you take a look inside, you will quickly notice it lacks the meat that quality psu's have.

I am well aware of how my psu performs.

I love jonny's reviews but he does a poor job of showing what those ripple numbers mean to me. What i am saying is that I have found no conclusive evidence that the ripple of the GXS hurts my OC. My personal belief is that if a mobo is designed properly ripple should not be a problem, within reason of course.

I may test it against my powerstream 520 if i get ambitious. But i doubt results will be much different, IMO as long as you have enough power you are okay. Now in terms of memory OC that is different, most mobo's have terrible memory power delivery, so a psu with a good 3.3v rail can help tremendously. But, the 3.3.v rail isnt so bad on GXS. Not only that, i have a hipro maximizer on the way, so i wont need to worry about that either way. One thing i need to test is video card clocks, im not sure how the power delivery is on my x1900...

In any case certainly less ripple is better, but i feel that too much importance is placed on that, tricking people into buying much more expensive power supplies then they need, thinking that it will improve thier system performance. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing, as these people are getting a high end product in the end so they are being mislead in a good way i suppose.

I really wish i had that new 1kw SR so i could test out between my 520w, my 700w, and the 1kw. I'm not saying 1kw is unessesary, but what i mean is as long as you have enough amps overall for your setup, your cpu overclock shouldnt suffer.

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    I am well aware of how my psu performs.

I love jonny's reviews but he does a poor job of showing what those ripple numbers mean to me. What i am saying is that I have found no conclusive evidence that the ripple of the GXS hurts my OC. My personal belief is that if a mobo is designed properly ripple should not be a problem, within reason of course.

I may test it against my powerstream 520 if i get ambitious. But i doubt results will be much different, IMO as long as you have enough power you are okay. Now in terms of memory OC that is different, most mobo's have terrible memory power delivery, so a psu with a good 3.3v rail can help tremendously. But, the 3.3.v rail isnt so bad on GXS. Not only that, i have a hipro maximizer on the way, so i wont need to worry about that either way. One thing i need to test is video card clocks, im not sure how the power delivery is on my x1900...

In any case certainly less ripple is better, but i feel that too much importance is placed on that, tricking people into buying much more expensive power supplies then they need, thinking that it will improve thier system performance. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing, as these people are getting a high end product in the end so they are being mislead in a good way i suppose.

I really wish i had that new 1kw SR so i could test out between my 520w, my 700w, and the 1kw. I'm not saying 1kw is unessesary, but what i mean is as long as you have enough amps overall for your setup, your cpu overclock shouldnt suffer.

wow,

blissfully ignorant.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme PSU Tester
    need inside shots to be able to see the componets.
    Best I can do on short notice:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    thanks for the shots.

nice sized coils, good quality caps (chemicons), independent regulation, looks to be good build quality.

looks like OCZ will have a high end psu out now since the modstream and gamestream lower end psu's.

so far its looking really decent, kudos to ocz.

only thing i dont like though is modular ATX connector.
    Specs
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Member
    Wicked, thanks for the images Jonny. Who is plotech?

Abit IP35 Pro
    Tuniq Tower
    Q6600 G0 @ 3600mhz
    Ballistix Tracer 6400
    X1900xt 512
    Silverstone 650 Zeus

I am Xtreme
    wow,

blissfully ignorant.

so you can show me that a better psu will get me higher clocks?

Aint No Real Gangster

i can show you a better psu will cause less stress on your componets, and have less of a chance of blowing a cap.

the GXS is for people who are (mostly) ignorant and would rather see a big number, than quality.

i dont care if try to justify your shoddy high-ripple psu.

ive had 250watt & 300watt psu's with more meat, bigger sinks, bigger inductors, and better quality caps than that thing.
    Specs
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600

Audio Setup

Xtreme PSU Tester
    It's not about the clocks. It's about how long the components on your motherboard can hold up to filtering all of that ripple and noise so you can get those clocks.

But since the ripple is only at high loads and I doubt you're pushing that PSU to even 1/3 of it's capability, I can understand why you wouldn't realize there's a problem.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    It's not about the clocks. It's about how long the components on your motherboard can hold up to filtering all of that ripple and noise so you can get those clocks.

But since the ripple is only at high loads and I doubt you're pushing that PSU to even 1/3 of it's capability, I can understand why you wouldn't realize there's a problem.

Which is what i meant in my long winded post, i have a pretty beefy system and i bet i wouldnt have any difference between a 1kw, a 700w or a 520w. Thats why i said many are falsely mislead into buying psu's that are overbuilt for thier needs.

Also like i said, if mobo is built well the ripple matters less. high quality components can handle it... Obviously it would be better to have a nice low ripple psu and if i could afford it i would have one, but its not like my GXS is holding back my overclocks... the only thing it may hold back is my ram, like i said, because my mobo has pretty poor vreg situation on the ram.

Just to humor myself i am going to put my 520w powerstram on my 1900xt to see if i can push it a bit higher, the core tops out early and im thinking it may be a power delivery weakness.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cust...productid=3016

seems very expenive for a 600W Modular PSU....

I am Xtreme
    i can show you a better psu will cause less stress on your componets, and have less of a chance of blowing a cap.

the GXS is for people who are (mostly) ignorant and would rather see a big number, than quality.

i dont care if try to justify your shoddy high-ripple psu.

ive had 250watt & 300watt psu's with more meat, bigger sinks, bigger inductors, and better quality caps than that thing.

Really shows your intelligence there WSP. Just because it runs cool and has small heatsinks makes it bad? That makes it good! Means it is very efficient. A+ for you.

As for the "lack of quality caps and inductors," I call BS. It can put out a 700w load easy. If it lacked quality, it would explode or suffer catastrophic meltdown.

Just because it has a little ripple AT 700W doesn't mean it's bad. Besides, whoever has a PC that draws 700w obviously has a very powerful, expensive one. They wouldn't buy a $140 PSU if their CPU costs more than most peoples computes on this forum.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Member
    there's an annoying "whump-whump-whump-whump..." boat-prop sound coming from one of the fans of my Powerstream, and both of them buzz. Does the Evostream have a similar aural signature, or is it really smooth?
    BFG 7900 GTX
    Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA2
    Samsung SP2004C 200GB SATA2
    Samsung SH-W162C
    OCZ Powerstream 520W SLI
    Intel Pentium D 930
    ASUS P5WD2
    G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800 something or other

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123