Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% OC will always make me smile

100% OC will always make me smile

Well these LV's as we know are great clockers. Just added this one to the mix... finally
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Cruncher
    Gotta love the lv xeons, I'm looking out for some decent alternatives for the HSF's I have on my prestonia's which are seriously noisy; what have you got on those, and what's the noise like?

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide
    Well these LV's as we know are great clockers. Just added this one to the mix... finally
    May I ask how fast/(in)expensive such a rig is? I might be interested in buying one as well
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn
    May I ask how fast/(in)expensive such a rig is? I might be interested in buying one as well
    You should be able to get the motherboard (Asus PC-DL) and 1.6 LV Xeon chips for around $300USD. lv_Dicedealer said he is selling some 1.6 LV cpus in this thread so you may want to shoot him a PM. But, for the motherboard you will have to look on eBay or maybe in the FS section. I think you can still buy the mobo's new but they are around $200USD.

@riptide:
    Great Job!
    Are you feeding those bad boys 1.6V?

I am setting up my DX rig next weekend. I am going for the big 100% too, so wish me luck!

Don't you want a piece of that PIE?!?!?
    Sign up NOW to help find a cure for cancer and aids and have a great time doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    Gotta love the lv xeons, I'm looking out for some decent alternatives for the HSF's I have on my prestonia's which are seriously noisy; what have you got on those, and what's the noise like?
    Rear Admiral Jimway (XTT Navy ) On one DX2000 I have zalman coolers. Not sure what model, but they're very much like the Intel wind tunnels, but much more quite even though as fast.

On the DX1600 above Intel Wind Tunnels. And once the procs hit 47/48 they open up like jets. Mine are right nor hovering around 5500rpm. On cooler operation they sit around 4500rpm. I have a fan controller for each fan, but that might upset the above overclock... so... I'll bear the noise. Kinda don't want to spend too much either.

Martijn I purchased the DX2000/PCH-DL locally with a 470W Fortran powersupply (with 2x 4 pins and the full 24 power socket) with 2x1GB sticks of PC3200 Value Corsair for €375.

I purchased the DX1600/PC-DL in the FS section here ( from guy in Canada ) for about €350 incl shipping (I think).

I'm thinking about swapping out the DX2000's for more 1.6 LV's. They're C1 step so not great clockers. Also this PCH-DL has a PCI-x slot and a better BIOS (more contol over vRAM and Vchipset).

Feedmemonster... I performed the triple pin mode to bring them to 1.6. Although as you can see it never really reaches 1.6. And that was at load.

Xtreme Cruncher
    @ riptide

You can go higher if you want... 1.6 LV's on PCH-DL with only 1.5v pinmod (gives 1.47v in reality) and some ordinairy ram: Link
    That's 24/7 stable, this one is on water with 52°C temps fully stressed.

My other 1.6LV's on two PC-DL boards are set to 3.2 on air with these heatsinks, combined with a couple of 80mm fans @ 3100rpm which are rather quiet. They can go higher on air but I leave them like that to hold the noise down.

@ Martijn

I bought my boards at a local shop here and paid 230€ each, they should be cheaper where you live.
    Cpu's were bought on Ebay, paid 400€ for 3 pairs.
    Last edited by [XC] Duc; 09-24-2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typo

I got these Coolermaster heatsinks for my set-up and will report on them next weekend when I get the rig up and running.

@Martijn
    Check out these links for some great info on building a DX 1.6 LV rig:
    - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...light=1.6+xeon
    - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=50314
    - http://www.datamine.tk/

Sign up NOW to help find a cure for cancer and aids and have a great time doing it!

Duc:

The 1600 is on the PC-DL not PCH-DL. I got her higher alright, but not 24/7 stable at load. Temps are 46/47 full load only. Ram is PC3200 and pretty schitty at 3-3-3-8. Single stick 1GB The ram is holding me I think. Once I went to 206-207FSB. Bang gone! Nice heatsinks on the link But I've spent all I want to spend on this bad boy. Cheap and cheerful for now. Eyeing up an C2D setup so that'll be the next spend. I just have to get rid of the Pretonia C1 steps for another pair of 1.6's D1. Then I'll be happy.

Any help with this... give me a shout if you get one. Of course you'll be oblige to run a FULL block on SOB if I do help Stability test of course

How fast is it...? well some would liken it to 2 northwoods at 3.2Ghz strapped together. Quite good for DC in my opinion.Just get good ram ..unlike me!
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 09-24-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Duc:

The 1600 is on the PC-DL not PCH-DL. I got her higher alright, but not 24/7 stable at load. Temps are 46/47 full load only. Ram is PC3200 and pretty schitty at 3-3-3-8. Single stick 1GB The ram is holding me I think. Once I went to 206-207FSB. Bang gone! Nice heatsinks on the link But I've spent all I want to spend on this bad boy. Cheap and cheerful for now. Eyeing up an C2D setup so that'll be the next spend. I just have to get rid of the Pretonia C1 steps for another pair of 1.6's D1. Then I'll be happy.
    Ooops, i thought you slammed them on the PCH-DL... my mistake.
    Temps around 46/47°C are very nice. I also put a small 40mm and 50mm fan on the heatsinks next to the cpu's, it helps a lot keeping the chipsets cooler.

@ Martijn

The PCH-DL has a few more options in BIOS, you can set ramvoltage etc. Don't hesitate if you can get your hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duc
    Ooops, i thought you slammed them on the PCH-DL... my mistake.
    Temps around 46/47°C are very nice. I also put a small 40mm and 50mm fan on the heatsinks next to the cpu's, it helps a lot keeping the chipsets cooler.
    Ya, I have one of them in a box with side off and the other is on a set of shelving. Cheap racking material! And i have a deskfan on a cycle blowing air into the case and then onto the shelves. Does the trick.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Rear Admiral Jimway (XTT Navy ) On one DX2000 I have zalman coolers. Not sure what model, but they're very much like the Intel wind tunnels, but much more quite even though as fast.

On the DX1600 above Intel Wind Tunnels. And once the procs hit 47/48 they open up like jets. Mine are right nor hovering around 5500rpm. On cooler operation they sit around 4500rpm.
    *salutes riptide* Here's a linky to what I've got on mine, Tt A1608's, all I can say in their defense is that they were relatively cheap. They act the same way as the IWT's & once it hits 47c on MBM5 - they take off. The coolermasters you linked to monster, look very nice indeed

I'm giving my Antec 430w PSU a trial run on my PC-DL later, I'm not sure how it'll cope to be honest, but there's only one way to find out; I'm trying to avoid spending a load getting this rig back up & running, after I pinched most of it's parts getting the c2d rig going.

*salutes riptide* Here's a linky to what I've got on mine, Tt A1608's, all I can say in their defense is that they were relatively cheap. They act the same way as the IWT's & once it hits 47c on MBM5 - they take off. The coolermasters you linked to monster, look very nice indeed

I'm giving my Antec 430w PSU a trial run on my PC-DL later, I'm not sure how it'll cope to be honest, but there's only one way to find out; I'm trying to avoid spending a load getting this rig back up & running, after I pinched most of it's parts getting the c2d rig going.
    Well the guidline is 350W MIN. But thats just to run it at stock. Jeff in his guide recommended 25-30 Amps on the 12V line. Well I'm getting away with Antec 530W with 24A on 12V line. If I think it'll cause me trouble I'll swap out the EZCOOL 600W (36A single 12V rail ) from my main rig.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well it says 24a on the 'TruePower' 430w too - but I swapped the 92mm & 80mm fans in it for ones that actually rotate which should give it a hope of staying at a reasonable temperature at least. The prestonia's I have are 2800's & as such, I'll run them at stock fairly happily (not great chips, but again quite cheap off ebay ) I donated my PCP&P 510 to the c2d rig, which is probably overkill but there you go.

I looked at Vadim which have the Swiftech's for ~£45 each and the Zalman 5100's for ~£25 each. Might try & bodge some standard 80mm's on my 'sinks & see what the temps are like, before I go spending my pay cheque again

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by feedmemonster
    I got these Coolermaster heatsinks for my set-up and will report on them next weekend when I get the rig up and running.

@Martijn
    Check out these links for some great info on building a DX 1.6 LV rig:
    - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...light=1.6+xeon
    - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=50314
    - http://www.datamine.tk/
    I use those same CM heatsinks on a PC-DL setup.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well it says 24a on the 'TruePower' 430w too - but I swapped the 92mm & 80mm fans in it for ones that actually rotate which should give it a hope of staying at a reasonable temperature at least. The prestonia's I have are 2800's & as such, I'll run them at stock fairly happily (not great chips, but again quite cheap off ebay ) I donated my PCP&P 510 to the c2d rig, which is probably overkill but there you go.
    I use this Zalman 460-APS PSU to power my PC-DL boards. Does the job without problems. (Two +12VDC rails output up to 30A combined)

I looked at Vadim which have the Swiftech's for ~£45 each and the Zalman 5100's for ~£25 each. Might try & bodge some standard 80mm's on my 'sinks & see what the temps are like, before I go spending my pay cheque again
    I know the Swiftechs are expensive, but they give really good performance... I have max cpu temps of 55°C (fully stressed @ 3.2Ghz) in a closed case on a hot summerday. On the other hand, I believe you can easily attach some 80mm fans to the side of the Zalmans to make them even more efficient.

Mr. Boardburner
    I will definitely have a look at this . What about power consumption? I guess it is less efficient (both in performance/power) than an E6300? I want to have the best as soon as I get a new rig
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

I will definitely have a look at this . What about power consumption? I guess it is less efficient (both in performance/power) than an E6300? I want to have the best as soon as I get a new rig
    I would also like to see some comparisons to an e6300/e6400...

Quote Originally Posted by serlv
    I use those same CM heatsinks on a PC-DL setup.
    Are you using any fans or do you have them passive? What temps?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the info Duc, the Swiftech's certainly look the business that's for sure. I'm considering a pair of these Zalmans, although I can't say that 60mm fan looks particularly 'ultra-quiet', as claimed on that page.

Martijn, imo the e6300 will crunch more & consume less power in most situations, even with a mild overclock; but then again I had better options when I was scouring ebay for dual xeons, but I wanted to build a DX rig regardless

In terms of performance, if possible I'll get a boinc benchmark from my DX @ 2800Mhz soon. I got 4.4k/20k on my e6300 @ 2400Mhz (optimized client). Anyone else got some benchies from xeons/e6x00 we could compare?

Thanks for the info Duc, the Swiftech's certainly look the business that's for sure. I'm considering a pair of these Zalmans, although I can't say that 60mm fan looks particularly 'ultra-quiet', as claimed on that page.
    Hey... they look like mine on the DX2000. If they're the same they are quite.

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    yeah always nice to see 100% - nice rig and thanks for all the pricing info here
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I bodged some 80mm's onto my xeon's just to see what the temperatures would be like....it looks, well ridiculous, but the temps aren't so bad; and the antec voltages look alright @ 11.89v on the 12v (always read 11.6v in other less powerful rigs, and before I swapped the fans). Pretty quiet too.

Last edited by jimwah; 09-27-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Just to validate it all ..... my first validation... ahhhhh

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=130233

Not bad for a C1 step..

also http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=130232

Xtreme Cruncher

On the DX1600 above Intel Wind Tunnels. And once the procs hit 47/48 they open up like jets. Mine are right nor hovering around 5500rpm. On cooler operation they sit around 4500rpm. I have a fan controller for each fan, but that might upset the above overclock... so... I'll bear the noise. Kinda don't want to spend too much either.
    I meant to post this ages ago - there's an option in the PC-DL bios called Q-Fan iirc, thats set to 45c by default - I set this to 60 or 65c & the fans stay at low [relatively] revs now and only 5c hotter than they were with the fans howling once it hit 47c ish.

Nice Xeon OC'ing there rip, I'll might give my 2800's some stick before I tear the system apart (ordered some new bits for this box ) & see what they can do...

Thanks Jimwah. I'll admit to keep them 24/7 with the temp variations in the attic where I have them I have dropped the 3.0Ghz to 2.98 for 24/7 running. they can run for a day or 2 and THEN crash if I left them at 3.0ghz. Cos some days are warmer than others and all the heat rises in the house up to the attic back at the home place. Stupid Irish weather.

Keep me posted about the 2800's. What stepping are they? I wouldn't mind picking up >3Ghz stock ones and just pushing them hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast