Thread: Ballistix PC4000 help needed

Xtreme Member

Ballistix PC4000 help needed

Hello everybody I am a newb here but have been reading for a long time now.

Well anyway I got this 2X1GB set from a guy on futuremark that went core2. He said it ran 3-3-3-10 on 2.65 volts at 250Mhz in his rig. I get it and put it in my rig and I couldnt get it stable at all. I set it to 3-4-4-10 at 2.8 volts and still not stable with random BSOD at both 1T and 2T.

I set up an RMA and got my new ballistix the other day and right away I started getting cold boot issues and random bsods again. This time when I set it to 2T it seems to work now. Shouldnt I be able to run this at 1T in dual channel? Also I cant get this thing to OC like it use to. It use to be prime stable at 3.0 on air at 1.55 volts. Its starting to frustrate me and a sledgehammer is looking mighty nice right about now so any help would be great.

Here is my rig
    Opty 165 dual core
    MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
    2X1GB Ballistix PC4000
    7800GTX
    X-Fi Platinum
    160GB SATA2

Love and Peace!
    it's possible that your board just doesn't like 2x1gb at 1T.. wouldn't be the first time i've seen it happen
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

Xtreme Member
    Hey Pro

I had a couple pairs of the old ones which evidently died very fast and recently I bought another pair from Newegg which I think is a different product. Anyway mine are stable at 270MHz 3-3-3-8-1T at 2.85V. I also can do all night test with Memtest86+ at 285MHz 3-4-4-1T at 2.95V but it fails in a second running SuperPI...

I'm assuming you are testing your memory so make sure your have the latest version of Memtest86+ SuperPI and SP2004. You can easily google these terms and find the download sites.

Good luck
    Intel E8500 Q813A248; Asus Rampage X48; TRUE 120; 2x1GB Mushkin XP2-8500; EVGA 8800GTS 512MB; 2x320GB Hitachi P7K500 Raid 0; Zeus 850W; Lian Li PC-60BPlus; Samsung 226BW; Saytek Eclipse; Logitech G9

Xtreme Member
    Well thanks for the insight guys. I just figured out something. even at 2T I get the cold boot issue but it runs fine once it does boot in to windows. It also wont let me oc my cpu unless I run a horrible divider and under clock the ram big time. As soon as i put my ocz in everything is fine and dandy. I am at a loss on what to do now.

Anybody interested in some brand new Ballistix?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ballistix is a PITA to setup and get running stable. Took an afternoon to get a kit running ok in the SLI-D. The ram was really sensitive to timings, have a scout around for some screenies from ballistix users might give an idea of whats stable and whats not.
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

U.K. overclockers: Represent your country, bench for EP-UK! Unite and show the world there IS a U.K. scene!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzimark
    it's possible that your board just doesn't like 2x1gb at 1T.. wouldn't be the first time i've seen it happen
    Second that! MSI = bad

DFI is the only way to go for 939/2gb clocking