Thread: 24w solder is good enough多

Xtreme Member

24w solder is good enough多

Hi!,

Im thinking on doind some voltaje modifications in my bad axe, the possibility of getting a 11w solder is reduced, but 25w is very easy to get. Would be problems with 25w solder?

Thanks
    Gaming/benchmarking rig - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ES || Asus p5b deluxe vcore, vdroop, vmch and vdimm mods || ATi x1900xtx + ATi x1900 CF edition || 2x1024 Team Xtreem 667 3-3-3-8 || SilverStone 650w || 2x EK blocks for VGA's + D5 + BIX2 || LittleDevil Single Stage
    PIC 1 - PIC 2 - PIC 3

25watt should be ok as log as you are carefull.

If the tip is too large you may need to buy a smaller one or file it down (although filing it will reduce its life expectancy)

PLEASE do some practice before you try on any real hardware. Find an old VCR or dead motherboard and play around first.

I am Xtreme
    i solder well with 15w, 25w would be fine too, just be sure to be fast with your work so you dont burn anything.

Xtreme Member
    or use some pll or ram sinks or something on the component being soldered

E5300 / 4GB / 250GTS

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    I also use a 16W 0.5mm solder iron for those kinda mods. 25W will work fine too, but as was already said, you have to be a bit more carefull.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes, if this is your first soldering please do some practice. You will need it!

Freak, every post you make I can't stop staring at those nipples.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I've used a 15 watt for years now.
    recently though I got a 25 watt for the hell of it, when messing with wiring only and I gotta say, I would be quiet scared to mod with a 25 watt iron, to me, its just too hot.
    its great for melting the solder fast, but if the jobs alittle delicate, or in a tight spot, it will definatly affect the things around it, if you can't make a clean connection fast.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

I have about 4 different irons for different jobs.

A battery powered 8watt thing for stupidly small stuff.
    15watt thats the best for vmods in most cases.
    35watt thats handy for bigger stuff.
    65watt monster for fat cable and huge stuff.

I have done vmods with the 35watt but I wouldnt recomend using an iron that big, the solder vaporises once it reaches a certain temperature and its useless. As for the 65watt I think with enough force you could melt right through a motherboard if you wanted ... might try that one day for fun then post a pic on [h] asking what happened to my mobo :P