Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG, DDR2 prices have really skyrocketed!

Xtreme Addict

OMG, DDR2 prices have really skyrocketed!

I have a gig kit of G.Skill PC2-4300 that I bought at the egg about 4 months ago for less than $70.......Wednesday I browsed the egg to get the identical pair and they had gone to $90. Well, today I got paid and went to the egg to order.................NOT!!!! They are now $130 for the kit! That's insane. I suspect it will be a long time before the prices come down again.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we are taken for the dust we are and to the dust we shall return
    Heat

YouTube Addict
    You are probably right with that assumption.
    Appearently any memory marked as a descent overclocker, instantly is bought by the masses wanting uberclocks. Driving the price sky high. THe only option now is to try new types of memory in an attempt to get a good overclock.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I know what you mean. I was going to buy a pair of Cosair memory for $205 and then when I went to buy them they went up to $300. oO

Ended up getting a decent price pair of Crucial Ballistik for $250 (msrp $380).

NoPeace - out

Xtreme Member
    you're right! purchase my ram for around $200 2 weeks ago, now its like $300

Xtreme Member
    GSKiLL 2GBHZ for 255€ in Germany 4 weeks ago - now 350€!
    RAM Market is going crazy right cause everyone is buying C2D+DDR2. Espacially those guys in here who already had a X2@3Ghz

iLL

Xtreme Addict
    mine only went up $35 in about 2.5 months \= dammit. why cant mine be special too
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146108

Xtreme Member
    i know tell me about it the 2gig kit of 6400-c4's i have i bought for $250 around june/july now i see they are $300+. i was like ,WTF!? O.o someone wants to make some money ya think?
    Intel Pentium G3258 | ASRock Z97M OC Formula | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX660 GC | Samsung PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 250GB FDE |

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Comensing Shock Therapy!"

HeatWare

Anyone of you think the prices will fall back within the next month - or increase even more?
    My Machine short to Conroe! Comments welcome, please report broken links! Who the f*ckin' h*ll is Towelie?

|SCHLUMPF EDITION|

YouTube Addict
    well the memory that everyone is pimping will start to cost more and more and more.
    However wonderful different brands that are just as good, will start to cost less and less
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topheistos
    Anyone of you think the prices will fall back within the next month - or increase even more?
    I think we'll at least have to wait till february.
    Now everyone is swapping to C2D (some to AM2), and then we've got Christmass and New Year. So prices will stay high for a while.

Xtreme Member
    I bought 2 months ago my corsair sticks for €106, but they are now €143

I'am happy
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 ( Best personal 1M spi : 14.562s )
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P F5
    OCZ Vindicator with 120MM Fan
    2 x 1024MB Crucial Ballistix PC8500
    2 x 512MB Transcend PC5300 /w D9GMH @ 651Mhz
    2 x 512MB Corsair PC6400C5 /w Promos @ 567Mhz
    Nvidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
    Corsair HX 520W

Xtreme Addict
    even the value rams are high where Iam.. haay.. that's whats business are for..
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional , DFI Infinity 965P-S (testing)
    X6800 , E6750 es
    Micron Fatbodies , Micron D9gkx oem, Crucial 8000, Crucial Tracer 8500 (incomming)
    Ati FireGL V5100, Elsa FireGL V3100
    water cooling setup (EK 775 cpu block, swiftech NB Block, Swiftech pump, BI dual pass dual 120mm)
    Silverstone OP650
    raptors, baracuda

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    well the memory that everyone is pimping will start to cost more and more and more.
    However wonderful different brands that are just as good, will start to cost less and less
    And on whats memories do you think of? The G.Skill (PC6400 2GBHZ) and TGX (HC3DC) already cost that much. And Corsair doesn't have good timings (not that important but anyway disturbing)
    My Machine short to Conroe! Comments welcome, please report broken links! Who the f*ckin' h*ll is Towelie?

|SCHLUMPF EDITION|

YouTube Addict
    you fail to realize there are quite a few other brands that use the exact same chips and the exact same PCBs. Thus have the same possible max overclock..

Ok yeah. It would be a nice offer to say who are them ALL!? Because obviously I don't know them all and can't find a complete list.

|SCHLUMPF EDITION|

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Topheistos
    Ok yeah. It would be a nice offer to say who are them ALL!? Because obviously I don't know them all and can't find a complete list.
    it might be better if we didn't list them all, because then the masses would start buying them out by the hundreds too...
    Just remember this, Cheap doesn't always mean bad

Mine are still the same price..
    Because I shopped with a great guy, ben @ tankguys
    http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-3338-p-1676.html
    Team 667 3-3-3-8
    they do 800 3-3-3-8
    and right now there 4-4-3-9 @ 920
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    its definatly true that DDR2 ram prices are skyrocketing.

any ram that seems to be a high seller instantly gets bumped up by atleast 20% in price at newegg.

about 2 months ago I order some Corsair 6400 for 103 shipped.
    thats with shipping to alaska...

I began showing how well this ram did for me, and people start buying it. then it went up to 130 almost over night.

today I look at it again, it's $155 for the exact same ram.
    this is the 6400A not the more expensive 6400C4...
    the cheapest stuff, and now that its got a reputation for overclocking well and people are getting it, the price has went up by almost 55% since I originally bought it...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Memory Addict
    Yup in OZ

2GB GSKILL PC6400PHU2 HZ was AUD$369-415 now AUD$460-500+ hehe

lucky i bought 3 sets of these HZ early before price rise
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKiLL3D
    GSKiLL 2GBHZ for 255€ in Germany 4 weeks ago - now 350€!
    RAM Market is going crazy right cause everyone is buying C2D+DDR2. Espacially those guys in here who already had a X2@3Ghz

iLL
    Maybe its because were buying AM2+DDR2.

~Mike
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

Xtreme Member
    From what I hear from some of my memory suppliers, chip prices are up. Apparently, the chip makers have raised prices for the chips ~130% or some such thing... so Team, OCZ, Mushkin, and all the others are paying more for the chips, so have to charge more to make the kits, which means retailers in turn pay more for them... so that's why prices have gone up on the consumer side of things

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TankGuys
    From what I hear from some of my memory suppliers, chip prices are up. Apparently, the chip makers have raised prices for the chips ~130% or some such thing... so Team, OCZ, Mushkin, and all the others are paying more for the chips, so have to charge more to make the kits, which means retailers in turn pay more for them... so that's why prices have gone up on the consumer side of things
    Wonder what could justify such a significant price-jump... 130% at once, just doesn't seem right...

Have a story as well, ordered a 2gig set of Corsair PC6400 Cas5 RAM in august, for ~220€... Now they're almost 370€

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TankGuys
    I just got a notification about the pending lawsuit against Infineon, Micron and Samsung and my participation, etc., etc.. Sounds like the same thing happening here. Once DDR became mainstream and SDRAM was phasing out, the prices went through the roof and several employees of said companies admitted to wrong doing. Funny but I always thought that you got discounts when you bought in bulk, not the other way around.
    At least gas prices are coming down. Maybe it'll help me afford the memory....LOL. Funny how when Exxon reports record profits and we find out there just happens to be an excess of crude oil lying around, prices drop.
    I read several report that stated.......
    In 1985, average CEO earnings were 15 times greater than that of the average laborer.
    In 1995, average CEO earnings were 43 times greater than that of the average laborer.
    In 2005, average CEO earnings were 435 times greater than that of the average laborer!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe the CEO's at the memory companies decided it was time for another raise.....LOL.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we are taken for the dust we are and to the dust we shall return
    Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Quantity of chips being made has been reduced recently so supply is slim right now. When everyone wants the same chips, prices go ^^.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Addict
    I seem to remember telling people IC prices were on the rise in my HP6400 thread only to be ridiculed. So $225 for HP6400 might not be bad deal after all :/
    it's never fast enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast