Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: !UPDATE! abit AW9D-Max (retail) arrived

the jedi master
    I can run 1;1 just fine with the gold as long as over 350 the board sets the 1333 strap, if not I shoot straight for 400 like on the P5B where the board does move to this strap and its good to 450.

The Aw9 is sat on the 1066 strap, this will make it harder at higher clocks. using the gold which is a gamer module will be having an effect as its not as tollerant as our plat range which is mainly micron based.

I have just begged Abit for a board..if they come thru I will work with them to get this sorted. In short though they need the 1333 strap in bios and usuable for this board to clock like the the asus 965 and gigabyte boards are doing. Badaxe has 1333 so there is no reason the AW9 can not have it either
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I can run 1;1 just fine with the gold as long as over 350 the board sets the 1333 strap, if not I shoot straight for 400 like on the P5B where the board does move to this strap and its good to 450.

The Aw9 is sat on the 1066 strap, this will make it harder at higher clocks. using the gold which is a gamer module will be having an effect as its not as tollerant as our plat range which is mainly micron based.

I have just begged Abit for a board..if they come thru I will work with them to get this sorted. In short though they need the 1333 strap in bios and usuable for this board to clock like the the asus 965 and gigabyte boards are doing. Badaxe has 1333 so there is no reason the AW9 can not have it either
    Just to make sure I don't get it wrong, you're saying that I can't run 1:1 as long as abit doesn't implement a 1333 strab?
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it
    Du bevorzugst Support auf Deutsch? Hier geht's zum deutschen OCZ Support Forum.

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicness
    Just to make sure I don't get it wrong, you're saying that I can't run 1:1 as long as abit doesn't implement a 1333 strab?
    All 975 boards have issues above 350fsb 1:1 due to the nature of the strap settings and memory ratio's. What I am saying is for Abit to stand a chance they HAVE to implement the 1333 option in bios for you to choose at 350ish and this will allow the board to sale thru 350fsb to well over 400+fsb. The issue is this though, ram performance will be slower. Now i asked abit to add the NB latency settings into bios also with the hope that the 1333 slowness could be countered by altering the latency, pretty much like you saw on the IC7 boards.

Micron based dimms are more tollerant and give the memory controller an easier time...they will allow 1;1 and above 350fsb easier using the 1067 strap, but they will still top out.

ALL the 975 boards at this time excpet badaxe are using the 1067 strap and not moving to the 1333..this is the reason they are ALL clocking less than 965. 965 is also a better clocking chipset and will clock higher in the strap range than 975 but it does still top out, this is why we see asus using 1333 at 400 and up.

So in short the dimms may limit you a little yes, the nature of the chipset is also limiting you and unavailable bios options.
    Last edited by Tony; 09-14-2006 at 08:06 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm glad I read this, looks like when I go conroe I will be getting either a P5B or a DS3. Just another dud from abit, shame to be honest.
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Xtreme Member
    All 975 boards have issues above 350fsb 1:1 due to the nature of the strap settings and memory ratio's. What I am saying is for Abit to stand a chance they HAVE to implement the 1333 option in bios for you to choose at 350ish and this will allow the board to sale thru 350fsb to well over 400+fsb. The issue is this though, ram performance will be slower. Now i asked abit to add the NB latency settings into bios also with the hope that the 1333 slowness could be countered by altering the latency, pretty much like you saw on the IC7 boards.

Micron based dimms are more tollerant and give the memory controller an easier time...they will allow 1;1 and above 350fsb easier using the 1067 strap, but they will still top out.

ALL the 975 boards at this time excpet badaxe are using the 1067 strap and not moving to the 1333..this is the reason they are ALL clocking less than 965. 965 is also a better clocking chipset and will clock higher in the strap range than 975 but it does still top out, this is why we see asus using 1333 at 400 and up.

So in short the dimms may limit you a little yes, the nature of the chipset is also limiting you and unavailable bios options.
    Ok, but why can't I run stock FSB of 266 1:1? As I said, no matter what voltages, FSB or other settings, 1:1 doesn't work for me.
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it

Xtreme X.I.P.

Tony, I wonder if Asus are maniplualting the strap on the P5WDG2 Pro too. I have a few users that are known personally to me that are NOT hardcore overclockers that can get that board to post above 450fsb in bios.

BTW Tony where are you at present? If in the UK drop me a pm, I have a contact email of ABIT over here which is not listed on the web...

regards
    Raja

Xtreme 3DTeam Member

Talking

With this issue fixed, I'm pretty sure this board can fly.
    Haha - yes I also thought this too many times. The only way those boards did fly for me were out of the window........

Quote Originally Posted by Sentential
    Hmmm glad I read this, looks like when I go conroe I will be getting either a P5B or a DS3. Just another dud from abit, shame to be honest.

Posts like this are the main reason why i rarely visit XS ... it's the first user review bout the board and it's less than 12 hours old.

An instant ban for posts like that would be nice ...
    OC & Gaming Rig :
    Coolermaster ATCS-201 "Black Widow" | DFI Ultra-D | A64 3000+ Venice @ 2.7GHz | 4*512MB PC333 @ ~460 2-2-2-6 w/ Corsair Dominator Airflow| 7900GS
    IBM SATA 120GB | AOpen DVD-ROM | Tagan 2Force 480W

Watercooling setup :

Alphacool Nexxxos XP Light CPU-Block & Nexxxos NB-Block & Nexxxos GPU-Block | MoRa2 Rad w/ 9*120mm fans | Laing DCC-1+ | Aqua-Computer Aquero | Tygon

the jedi master
    Ok, but why can't I run stock FSB of 266 1:1? As I said, no matter what voltages, FSB or other settings, 1:1 doesn't work for me.
    No idea as even after 20 requests I still do not have a board. its probably the board not reading the SPD coorectly and forcing cas3 maybe which the dimms will not do.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    Err, remember me mentioned having issues to assemble the 8 Pin 12V connector and using the 4 Pin one instead?
    I just investigated the connectors, I tried my best paint skills to get this explained on a picture:

In case it's too blurry, here's what a 8 Pin 12V PSU connector looks like. Both of my PSUs use that design, just that abit's connector has a rounded "port" where pin number 7 (with a not rounded port) should fit. Long story short, it doesn't fit. What the ...?

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy

Posts like this are the main reason why i rarely visit XS ... it's the first user review bout the board and it's less than 12 hours old.

Everone has the right to an opinion, being said that is a bash and i will be keeping an eye on further posts.

lets all remember it is early days for this board...im sure fixes will surface soon
    Last edited by Tony; 09-14-2006 at 08:23 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Err, remember me mentioned having issues to assemble the 8 Pin 12V connector and using the 4 Pin one instead?
    I just investigated the connectors, I tried my best paint skills to get this explained on a picture:

In case it's too blurry, here's what a 8 Pin 12V PSU connector looks like. Both of my PSUs use that design, just that abit's connector has a rounded "port" where pin number 7 (with a not rounded port) should fit. Long story short, it doesn't fit. What the ...?

Thats one for Abit to answer i think
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    Thats one for Abit to answer i think
    Definately ... gonna post that in abit-usa's forum ...

Xtreme Member
    No idea as even after 20 requests I still do not have a board. its probably the board not reading the SPD coorectly and forcing cas3 maybe which the dimms will not do.
    Sorry, didn't mean to bother. I was just trying to find out if this might be a known bug for this sticks, or smth chipset related you might heard of from other boards, etc.

the jedi master
    Sorry, didn't mean to bother. I was just trying to find out if this might be a known bug for this sticks, or smth chipset related you might heard of from other boards, etc.
    hey i wasn't having a go at you..i honestly have no idea as i don't have the board. i know from past boards though bios forcing a setting is usually the main reason for none boot.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    Sicness,
    You don't have access to any other ram modules? Maybe a friend? I purchased a kit of corsair 5400C4's when I was making the move to conroe so I would have options in case of incompatability.
    I'm not going to write this board off just yet. If Zipzoom get em tomorrow I'll order one and test. I've had a pretty good run testing conroes of late, so maybe my luck will hold out for this board. If not, the P5W DH with the available 1.85mch and now adjustable downward multi will certainly be the pick of the litter. I'm quite pleased with mine.

Freaking awesome to see you here Tony! What OCZ ram do you guys have thats comparable to the G Skills in both performance & price.
    Last edited by The Nemesis; 09-14-2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Praetor
    » Intel i7 2600K 3103B306 » Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z » Asus GTX 470's TRi-SLI » Corsair Dominator GT CMT4GX3M2A2000C8 » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Corsair 800D
    » Cooling : Swiftec Apogee XT » Swiftec MCP350-DDC1 w/XSPC Dual DDC Bay Reservoir » Swiftech MCR320-QP w/Scythe SlipStreams 110CFM

The Yamato
    » Intel i7 920 3849B028 or i7 980X » Asus Rampage III Extreme Black Edition » Asus HD6970's QuadFireX or Asus GTX 570's 4way SLI » 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Microcool Banchetto 101
    » Cooling : Dragon F1 Extreme Edition(LN2) » Custom SS by RunMc »

Xtreme Member
    Tony, nevermind. I really appreciate your help

The Nemesis, I don't have access to any other DDR2 sticks

Xtreme Mentor
    So how are the other guys doing at the other forums? Are they having similar issues? Seems to be the people at Abit are a little clueless as to how these chipset internal timings function if the problem is not limited to OCZ ram.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Member
    Hmm.... that 8pin EPS is reminiscent of that board that came out which had one of the PCI 1x (??) slots which was located on the motherboard in such a way that you would never be able to actually plug in a device. Don't know if I want to say it, but I BELIEVE it was an abit board...

Nevertheless, I'm interested in how this board will do with some BIOS updates.
    XS lurker, posting newbie.

Xtreme Enthusiast

LOL They dont even know how an 8pin eps connector should be made... How can they even build a good BIOS ??

I was hoping good things for this board, i liked 2vmch and some other voltage options it has, but, if it's crap, it doesnt mind even if it can feed the cpu with 220v... Im VERY sorry to say that, be sure of it.
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme Addict
    Ordered this board from EXcalibur PC. It will probably be Monday or so before I get it. I doubt its gonna replace my P5W DH, but hopefully it will be fun to play with
    Praetor
    » Intel i7 2600K 3103B306 » Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z » Asus GTX 470's TRi-SLI » Corsair Dominator GT CMT4GX3M2A2000C8 » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Corsair 800D
    » Cooling : Swiftec Apogee XT » Swiftec MCP350-DDC1 w/XSPC Dual DDC Bay Reservoir » Swiftech MCR320-QP w/Scythe SlipStreams 110CFM

The Yamato
    » Intel i7 920 3849B028 or i7 980X » Asus Rampage III Extreme Black Edition » Asus HD6970's QuadFireX or Asus GTX 570's 4way SLI » 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF » Corsair Force F180 SSD » Corsair AX1200 PSU » Microcool Banchetto 101
    » Cooling : Dragon F1 Extreme Edition(LN2) » Custom SS by RunMc »

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Definately ... gonna post that in abit-usa's forum ...
    it's user-to-user though so you won't get an official reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ^don.k's^
    LOL They dont even know how an 8pin eps connector should be made...
    I'm sure that they just ordered a part from a supplier the same as Asus, DFI etc. do.
    it's too soon to know if this is a 1-off, a batch error or w.h.y.
    abit IP35 Pro, E6600, HD3870, FSP FX700-GLN
    abit AB9 QuadGT, E6400, 7900GTO, FSP FX600-GLN
    abit AX78 x2
    Asus P5N-E SLI, E6600, 8800GTS, Tagan 530W

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy

With twenty something posts I don't think you are in a position to be calling for a ban on anyone quite yet. That said, I think that it is ok for people to vent their frustrations with any hardware particulars here as long as they don't over do it. Xtreme forums tend to be a friendlier place than some other sites which will remain nameless, and I am sure that this will continue under the new setup.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Quote Originally Posted by xgman
    With twenty something posts I don't think you are in a position to be calling for a ban on anyone quite yet. That said, I think that it is ok for people to vent their frustrations with any hardware particulars here as long as they don't over do it. Xtreme forums tend to be a friendlier place than some other sites which will remain nameless, and I am sure that this will continue under the new setup.
    I said that i'm rarely here ( joined 07/2003 - 3 years ago) because of the numerous nonsense posts ... but if you want some Postcounts go to the H|F : 3k posts, joined 08/2000 - thats over 6 years.

Venting frustrations sure is OK, but you just can't expect the very first BIOS to be perfect. Abit is working on that prob so calling this board a dud or somethin is plain wrong (ATM)
    OC & Gaming Rig :
    Coolermaster ATCS-201 "Black Widow" | DFI Ultra-D | A64 3000+ Venice @ 2.7GHz | 4*512MB PC333 @ ~460 2-2-2-6 w/ Corsair Dominator Airflow| 7900GS
    IBM SATA 120GB | AOpen DVD-ROM | Tagan 2Force 480W

Watercooling setup :

Alphacool Nexxxos XP Light CPU-Block & Nexxxos NB-Block & Nexxxos GPU-Block | MoRa2 Rad w/ 9*120mm fans | Laing DCC-1+ | Aqua-Computer Aquero | Tygon

Any more updates on performance yet?
    E6550
    Foxconn P35A
    G.Skill DDR2-800 HK
    Sapphire 3870
    150 gig Raptor
    Corsair HX520

Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast