Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: !UPDATE! abit AW9D-Max (retail) arrived

Xtreme Member
    Wonder if you did remember to manually set your RAM timings under the Advanced Chipset Features?

I would attempt something relaxed like 5-5-5-15 and then go back to OC Guru and feed 1.9V Vdimm and try 1:1 again..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy
    It's not a good sign that you cant run the memory 1:1. I just don't understand how companies can hype something to death and then not test it to make sure it perfoms basic functionality. How stupid would it be to ship this board with a bios that can't run 1:1. Wake up Abit!!

I hope it's just a bad board.
    Could be a compatibility issue with my RAM too. Wait until tonight when that other guy at hardwareluxx.de will test his board. It's too early to blame someone.

TWY: Yes, I set the timings manually. 1:1 wont work tho.
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it
    Du bevorzugst Support auf Deutsch? Hier geht's zum deutschen OCZ Support Forum.

Xtreme Member
    I'm gonna get an AW9D-MAX myself too. But my local distributor doesn't seem keen in bringing it in because of poor ABIT sales in the past year.

Having a hard time persuading them to do so.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicness
    Could be a compatibility issue with my RAM too. Wait until tonight when that other guy at hardwareluxx.de will test his board. It's too early to blame someone.

TWY: Yes, I set the timings manually. 1:1 wont work tho.
    Hmmm, sounds a bit like a repeat of the AW8? OCZ and the ABIT don't seem to like each other at times.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhero
    this board looks like a dud to me.

Seems a little early to jump to conclusions like this...
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ @ 3.0GHz||Biostar TF560 A2+||4x1GB Team Xtreem D9s||Visiontek HD3870||WD 250GB||Seasonic SS-600HT
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz||DFI NF4 Ultra-D||OCZ VX 4000 2-2-2-5||ATI X1900XT||Seagate 320GB||Seasonic S12 600

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLB

Seems a little early to jump to conclusions like this...
    Right. TurricanM3 from hardwareluxx.de, the guy who'll test his board later tonight, just reported that he had similiar problems with OCZ RAM on an early P5WDH BIOS revision. Considering that, the previews of coolaler, bit-tech, anandtech and nordic hardware ... I think the board is not to blame.
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it

I am Xtreme
    odd that they released the board with a bios inferior to the preview boards bios.

Xtreme Member
    I wish some OCZ lord would be arround

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmmm none of the reviewers used OCZ ram for testing so we will not be able to see if it is compatibility issues with OCZ ram. Everyone either used Corsair or Gskill. Waiting for more results from other people with different types of ram.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by situman
    Hmmm none of the reviewers used OCZ ram for testing so we will not be able to see if it is compatibility issues with OCZ ram. Everyone either used Corsair or Gskill. Waiting for more results from other people with different types of ram.
    Yeah, that's why I'd love to hear from an OCZ guy. And guys ... please stop blaming the board just because of this thread. It could be the RAM, the BIOS, or just my stupid self.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dont mind what a review sample can do, but i care more about what any board can do. Sorry. When it runs like a champ, ill be the first to buy one, but it should do 470fsb no mods with 2v on the mch... If it doesnt, i dont want this board.
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Quote Originally Posted by Sanborn
    People in this forum crack me up, everyone is so eager to dismiss any piece of hardware on the first hour of testing by a single person.
    QFT

So in the FSB strap there's only 3 options? 533, 800, & 1066 ? They really need a 1333 setting (or even 1600 setting) which would probably alleviate the FSB hole many boards experience from 330-400Mhz FSB. I think the boards automatically go to some higher FSB setting when you hit 401, thats why so many people can boot past the FSB hole at 401, but not in it.

The 1:1 problem is probably that some of the advanced (auto) dram timings are too aggressive for your ram. Since its expecting ddr2 667 speeds at 1:1, and at the other ratio it probably has much more relaxed advanced timings, expecting to run ddr2 800. They do this for the other 80% of people out there who don't overclock! (Those damn fools!)

Wolfdale E8400 @ 3.9Ghz + Asus P5K-E + GTX 260 + 2x2Gb Geil + 1x X25-M 80Gb G2 + 2x WD 640Gb Black

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, that's why I'd love to hear from an OCZ guy. And guys ... please stop blaming the board just because of this thread. It could be the RAM, the BIOS, or just my stupid self.

is there any chance you can show us a screenshot of memset 2.20? That'll show if some of the ram timings are too tight in the bios. Chances are it's the chipset that needs addressing though, but on the 975XBX and P5WDH some guys managed an extra 10-20fsb by relaxing some of the ram timings.

Sometimes a little boost of pcie mhz can help.

It's early doors yet, so it's not fair to condemn the board. We're lucky that some people are early adopters so we can see if there are any shortcomings before buying.

regards
    Raja

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raju
    is there any chance you can show us a screenshot of memset 2.20? That'll show if some of the ram timings are too tight in the bios. Chances are it's the chipset that needs addressing though, but on the 975XBX and P5WDH some guys managed an extra 10-20fsb by relaxing some of the ram timings.

Sometimes a little boost of pcie mhz can help.

It's early doors yet, so it's not fair to condemn the board. We're lucky that some people are early adopters so we can see if there are any shortcomings before buying.

regards
    Raja
    I just found a link for MemSet 3.0, hope it'll do. Here's my screen:

Note that I'm back on stock settings now, except my RAM running 800 4-4-4-12 instead of it's default 800 setting 5-5-5-12.

Xtreme Addict
    eiceman: I bought it for €215 from E-Bug.de, not in stock anymore tho.

timko: Sneaky

mykeos: I think that rather my CPU or RAM will be the wall. As the boar doesn't allow me to use 1:1 and I can't use any multi lower than 9x, I'm afraid I wont even hit 400
    It is the bios as you will have issues with certain memory types (OCZ was one of several in my testing with the beta bios) and you will need to use the 8-pin ATX connector on this board. The multiplier lock will be solved in a future bios update along with some additional memory timings. Also, did you disable the EQ settings in the voltage section as that caused overclocking issues in the beta bios. Make sure you set the NB up to 1.85V also due to the 1066 strap overclocking.
    Last edited by bingo13; 09-14-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Those timings seems pretty much ok for that fsb, maybe read delay at 7 may help for a little more, maybe clockgen is the way to go. I guess your ram is holding you back on that divider.

Looking at the memset timings, I recon that it's just a bit of an early bios, with lame divider support. As the board is a Max I'm sure that ABit will release an enhanced version for a boost.

I did post a link to a thread I started on the Abit forum for them to enable a forced 1333fsb strap setting, not that many people responded though. I'll try again, please register your support here so that Abit can hav a go a getting a more 'MAX' bios out.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=112212

regards
    raja

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13
    It is the bios as you will have issues with certain memory types (OCZ was one of several in my testing) and you will need to use the 8-pin ATX connector on this board. The multiplier lock will be solved in a future bios update along with some additional memory timings.
    I don't mean to question what you say, but how do you know?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    bingo13 sounds like a reviewer

regards
    Raja

XIP
    With all 975/965 boards on the market, mobo maker should release mobo with near perfect bios....unless end user want to wait for R&D or going through tens of board to find the good ones. If it stuck@XXXFSB then most likely it will be for a while.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by raju
    bingo13 sounds like a reviewer

regards
    Raja
    You should know, you write me all the time.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ah yes, I know who you are now.....

nice to see ya here.

regards
    Raja

Bingo13 is cool...

the jedi master
    Im watching

First off im not happy ...where is my god damn board so I can help you A**T?

Next, if the gold you are using is older than 4 weeks then it may be topping out. The Gold is more a budget gamer module and as such does not do uber high clocks.

In the bios there is an option for EQ voltage settings, this needs to be turned off for the board to accept voltage tweaks.

Sicness if you have access to 6400Plat rev2 this should do well 400+ 1:1, the only issue is it seems Abit have not got the 1333 strap working so you are on the 1066 at all times, this will be pushing the NB real hard, you are going to have to juice it up to get it clocking well.

Micron based dimms are still king for 1:1...7200 plats, 8500gold, 9000DFI,8000geek, VX2...all micron...see what you can get hold of.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yep I too am waiting for Abit to get back to me about a board for review on my upcoming forum.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Im watching

First off im not happy ...where is my god damn board so I can help you A**T?

Next, if the gold you are using is older than 4 weeks then it may be topping out. The Gold is more a budget gamer module and as such does not do uber high clocks.

In the bios there is an option for EQ voltage settings, this needs to be turned off for the board to accept voltage tweaks.

Sicness if you have access to 6400Plat rev2 this should do well 400+ 1:1, the only issue is it seems Abit have not got the 1333 strap working so you are on the 1066 at all times, this will be pushing the NB real hard, you are going to have to juice it up to get it clocking well.

Micron based dimms are still king for 1:1...7200 plats, 8500gold, 9000DFI,8000geek, VX2...all micron...see what you can get hold of.
    Tony, thanks for taking a look at this. It's ok for me if my sticks top out at 912, it's just that I desperately need the 1:1 divider. I'm afraid I don't have access to any other RAMs and I can't afford buying new ones now.
    Do you think my gold stick cause the 1:1 divider problems?

Xtreme Addict
    Do you think my gold stick cause the 1:1 divider problems?
    I will try the gold sticks this evening on the beta bios.

Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast