Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dual Intel Clovertown 8 cores @ 2.66 Ghz benching now

Hi,

Can you run metabench for me please?
    http://7byte.com/index.php?page=metabench

My Opteron @ 2.8Ghz used to get around 4700, my E6600 @ 3.4Ghz gets around 6700
    I'd be interested to see what eight cores can do!

Incidentally my brother is getting a dual socket Woodcrest (Skt771) with 4GB FB-DIMMS, I cant wait to bench it!

Xtreme Member
    hm, I thougt 8 intel cores at stock would beat opterons 4 cores at for a lot higher... that`s not very promising
    k8we
    dual 265@2.5G
    4 gb pc3200 ecc reg
    7900gtx
    raptor 74 gb
    seagate 300 gb

It is interesting to see tests 3dsMAX 8.0 and other professional programs.
    Last edited by decadent; 09-12-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrvojezg00
    hm, I thougt 8 intel cores at stock would beat opterons 4 cores at for a lot higher... that`s not very promising
    In Sisoft Sandra CPU and Multimedia test , the 8 intel cores obliterate an Opteron 4 cores .
    So it depends on your benchmarks , I think it's very promising

Quote Originally Posted by wtfdc
    Kunaak, here ya go.
    MultiPi using all 8 cores. For some reasons, it never uses 100 % CPU , it hovers around 60 - 70 % CPU utilization
    sounds like the cpu is waiting on data - bus bottleneck? Latency? fbdimms latency is higher than normal right? How many sticks of memory are in use? fbdimms able to do memory raid - is that as simple as striping for increased memory bandwidth vs just 2 channels?

Xtreme Member
    Can you bench seti benchmark?
    thx

Look at signature...
    Last edited by ex.treme; 09-12-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    o/c und u/c is my fun
    Undervolting rulezz. Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4+ i2500k@3GHz@1.000v+ next extra low voltage settings, CM Hyper 212+, Gigabyte HD7750 2GB DDR3+Sapphire 7750 Oc 1GB DDR5, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600@1.3v, Samsung 1TB-F3, Thermaltake Armor Jr.,2x120 Revoltec,Zalman Fan mate2, FSP Aurum 400w GOLD, 59w idle. WCG 2x gpu load- 85w,
    Seti@home benchmark

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Beomagi
    sounds like the cpu is waiting on data - bus bottleneck? Latency? fbdimms latency is higher than normal right? How many sticks of memory are in use? fbdimms able to do memory raid - is that as simple as striping for increased memory bandwidth vs just 2 channels?
    THat benchmark is designed to not scale perfectly with more cores....it does this through a memory bottleneck (mostly). With single cores...100% usage, dual cores....~85-90% usage, quad cores.....~70-75% usage, octal cores....~55-70 usage. On top of that, the score itself is also very mem-speed related. A 4GHz Conroe with pretty good RAM (not even great RAM, just regular D9GMHs) and a good tweaker can beat 44sec.

There are many other benchmarks that show the true power of this config....multitasking hasn't even been touched yet either

Xtreme Legend
    One of the main advantages to having 8 cores is enormous rendering power. Rendering is the cornerstone of graphics/animation. Professional animation studios use so-called render farms because that much processing power is needed. I think any professional graphics/animation artist would be interested in Clovertown which is not a consumer-oriented CPU. It's meant for professional applications.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 09-12-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Kunaak, here ya go.
    MultiPi using all 8 cores. For some reasons, it never uses 100 % CPU , it hovers around 60 - 70 % CPU utilization
    thanks for actually taking my suggestions.
    its always annoying when someone is doing these tech previews and ask for things people want to see... then just seem to ignore people.

what you might try doing is, post in the thread here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=111462&page=3

the programmer of this program is still developing this benchmark, and would probably like to see that his benchmark isn't really pushing the limits of dual quad core CPU's.
    he's usually pretty quick to think up solutions and ideas as well, and really does tend to listen to peoples suggestions, so give it a shot.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Lemme know waht benchies u wanna see on this Octal Core Monster

Here's a start :

What motherboard are you running these benchmarks? I just wanted to know the compatibility issues that may occur with current Bensley production motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound
    The Japanese also use a rendering benchmark called Mandelbrot. If you're knowledgeable about mathematics, you'll know who Benoit Mandelbrot is.

Fractals PWN! Many a day in maths was spent 'working'....yeah just drawing shapes and colourign them in

Have you tried overclocking it yet

I am Xtreme
    i think "wtfdc" said there were no overclocking tools on the supermicro board
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Member
    So when are we going to see this hit the shop shelves?

Thanks we are lucky to see the core and its capabilities , this forum always brings a lot of new stuff.

the p5w64- ws was shown here by andre yang about two to three months ago and it just caame out now.

There is this other thing the OS that we are using now with these CPU's which have more than one core and that the only OS to take advantage of there power is the Vista and Longhorn.

US have a kernel and that manages the threads and how everything is going to run , this is also why theoretically the new Vista will be better for games once its properly finished.

So this said we cant really know how powerful this cloverton monster is . What does the cloverton get for the Vista rating? (when it checks your overall system and see if its capable to run it. It also has a benchmarking tool in it , it is suppose to take all the cores and use there power.

I do think that the OS xp is bottlenecking the cloverton, it still beats everything but not the way I reckon it has the potential to. Anyway thanks , very lucky to see this, great stuff and bless you.
    Last edited by nooh; 09-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.

wtfdc Try it!
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post1719960
    You can make an important contribution to science from
    Calculate of putting 26 non-attacking chess queens on chessboard 26x26!
    Nobody done it before -)
    Last edited by Locki; 09-14-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    how's the power consumption of the Cloverton?

Xtreme Member
    http://benchqueens.narod.ru/

Please run this and this will show how capable your cpu is, it gives my cpu a run for its money.

Set the bottom two settings at 31 16
    lets see what you get.

Winrar and 7-zip maybe?
    Intel i7 920 | Asus P6T | 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 | ATI 4870 | Corsair HX620W | X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2xOCZ Vertex 30GB | LG L246WH | Altec Lansing MX-5021 | Razer DeathAdder ... in a Silverstone TJ-07b

!!!Overclock till it burns,then overclock more!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234