Thread: Good s754 mobile CPU compatiable cruncher motherboard?

Xtreme Cruncher

Good s754 mobile CPU compatiable cruncher motherboard?

OK I just managed to purchase an A64 mobile 3000+ 1mb cache of Ebay for £25 and am wondering if there are any good cruncher motherboards out there for cheap that run the mobile cpu's? preferably I would like onboard graphics but I can probably dig up an old AGP 4x card and I would also like some overclocking features but they aren't a necessity. I don't want anything to fancy like the DFI as I might aswell save for a 939 so it needs to be CHEAP!

any suggestions? thanks

I am Xtreme
    DFI NF3 was the king, gigabyte k8n pro or whatever it was ran them as well.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    DFI NF3 was the king, gigabyte k8n pro or whatever it was ran them as well.
    hmm I thought it might be the case of only the good boards took them. OK then can anyone remember if the 130nm clawhammers had a coldbug? if not I may get a DFI NF3 and see if it can beat 3ghz.

beefin' it up!
    all 130nm chips didn't coldbug until the usual way-sub--100C-point that most non-coldbugged chips do.

So no, none of this 90nm coldbug nonsense

Also, im fairly sure the K8N Neo Platinum takes em too.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    all 130nm chips didn't coldbug until the usual way-sub--100C-point that most non-coldbugged chips do.

So no, none of this 90nm coldbug nonsense

Also, im fairly sure the K8N Neo Platinum takes em too.
    Ha Ha briliant I can test the phase then and yes I remember my msi k8n taking them. It's a shame the k8n neo still sell for £40 I got rid of mine for £20 and it was good for 320fsb stable, DFI's still go for £60+ .

Xtreme Cruncher
    yea, that sounds like a plan. it would be good to have something to test the phase on...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd
    yea, that sounds like a plan. it would be good to have something to test the phase on...
    could just try and run it on the p3 like you suggested

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    Ha Ha briliant I can test the phase then and yes I remember my msi k8n taking them. It's a shame the k8n neo still sell for £40 I got rid of mine for £20 and it was good for 320fsb stable, DFI's still go for £60+ .
    320fsb+ on a neo platty? mine wouldn't do a bit over 260

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    320fsb+ on a neo platty? mine wouldn't do a bit over 260
    It was a nice board especially with the 1.3b bios or whatever beta it was and my DFI could only hit 340fsb with a lot more struggling. that K8N is the reason why I now love MSI motherboards so much

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have always stick to my Asus K8V SE Deluxe which is a S754 board, I can push up to around 300fsb. Its been a very reliable board, but the DFI NF3s are very good, and I would recomend them highly, although theyre pretty hard to get hold of, I may be selling mine soon though .

Ruan

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have ran a few different mobile chips on this motherboard asus k8n(not the -E Deluxe)back in the day when it was new( like in the days when I had to walk to school in -50 {with the wind chill :p} in 3 feet of snow up hill..........both ways lmao. OK I better lay off the morphine :p, Or just the plain old k8n's in general ran those really good some needed the new bios if I rember but if you feel ok with flashing your rom's ect it's no trouble anyways.The good old NF3 cant go wrong with that :p And most are really cheap now. Hope it turns out well.

Custom Avi By: Martijn, Custom Calvin V.S. EN by:RSmura

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Biostar Tforce 6100 S754 all the way.
    Put AS5 on NB and SB, place a fan on them end enjoy.
    Mine did 400HTT with a locked Sempron 2800+ which was limiting me at 3200Mhz I guess, so maybe the board can even do more.
    I have had 2 boards, sold 1 I to a mate. The second board ran also 380Htt without probs, havent tried higher.
    But I had to use a single stick of ram to get high FSBs.
    And I didnt read a single post of this thread, so ignore me in case you asked something completely different
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    Biostar Tforce 6100 S754 all the way.
    Put AS5 on NB and SB, place a fan on them end enjoy.
    Mine did 400HTT with a locked Sempron 2800+ which was limiting me at 3200Mhz I guess, so maybe the board can even do more.
    I have had 2 boards, sold 1 I to a mate. The second board ran also 380Htt without probs, havent tried higher.
    But I had to use a single stick of ram to get high FSBs.
    And I didnt read a single post of this thread, so ignore me in case you asked something completely different
    I second that .... I still have mine going full SOB steam.