Thread: Thoughts on the different Mountain Mods U2-UFO cases

Thoughts on the different Mountain Mods U2-UFO cases

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm wanting to buy a MM UFO case (http://www.mountainmods.com/) and get into some serious water-cooling (PA120.3, etc). But I am undecided on which version of the case to get.

U2-UFO (original)
    U2-UFO Opti-1203
    U2-UFO Horizon

Each version seems to have its own advantages, subtle as they may be. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but it's still an agonizing decision for me.

The original (and Horizon too I guess) have a slight advantage with depth for 120.3 radiator mounting, so if you were dead set on using dual shrouds and push/pull 38mm fans, that would be the way to go. This is not important to me, as it seems a bit overkill, IMO.

The Opti clearly has the most 5.25 bays (10), but I could live with the 5 or 6 of the other versions. The Opti also uses a bottom mounting location for the 120.3 radiator, which is thermally ideal (according to what I've read). I like this because it puts all that mass at the base of the case, and further away from your ears.

What intrigues me about the Horizon is the horizontal mounting of the motherboard. Three things appeal to me about it (and these are just my opinions/feelings, not necessarily fact):

1 - There should be less stress on parts (video cards, etc) compared to vertical mounting, i.e. from gravity dragging down on heavy heatsinks/etc. Maybe the waterblock would sit flatter (by some miniscule amount) on the CPU since the forces are straight up/down.

2 - Better cooling. Heat rising off the motherboard goes straight up and doesn't get trapped as easily.

3 - Easy mobo access from above when the top case panel is removed. As well as a nice view through windows / clear panels.

Are points 1 and 2 true? Horizontal mounting just feels intuitively like a better design to me, but I know any advantage is pretty subtle. Does anyone here have a UFO Horizon yet? I know they are a very new model.

Since I am torn over this, I am thinking about contacting Mountain Mods and inquiring about a custom case... a fusion of the Horizon and Opti. It would have the horizontal motherboard layout of the Horizon, and the front panel configuration of an Opti, with bottom radiator mounting. I know the 5.25 bay cages would be very close to the motherboard tray, and there would only be clearance for optical drives (and other long devices) in certain positions, but I think it would work for me.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Xtreme Member
    Let me start out by saying I'm biased as I own the original u2-ufo(will not mount thermochill rads ). I have almost nothing but praise for these cases. MM is the only manufacturer that is powdercoating 2.0mm thick t6061 aluminum. The most expensive tower cases match MM prices, but are still made out of crappier, thinner, and PAINTED aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by WATobin
    The original (and Horizon too I guess) have a slight advantage with depth for 120.3 radiator mounting, so if you were dead set on using dual shrouds and push/pull 38mm fans, that would be the way to go. This is not important to me, as it seems a bit overkill, IMO.
    If your buying a 120.3 and 6 fans, buy two shrouds. You're going over the top already so just finish it off.

1 - There should be less stress on parts (video cards, etc) compared to vertical mounting, i.e. from gravity dragging down on heavy heatsinks/etc. Maybe the waterblock would sit flatter (by some miniscule amount) on the CPU since the forces are straight up/down.

2 - Better cooling. Heat rising off the motherboard goes straight up and doesn't get trapped as easily.

3 - Easy mobo access from above when the top case panel is removed. As well as a nice view through windows / clear panels.

Are points 1 and 2 true? Horizontal mounting just feels intuitively like a better design to me, but I know any advantage is pretty subtle. Does anyone here have a UFO Horizon yet? I know they are a very new model.
    1) True, i've experienced issues with the weight from WCing the GPU/CPU/NB. The vid cards come out of the socket from the mobo tray bending. This issue would be non-existant on the horizontal tray

2) Yes, but really only applicable for vid cards that do not exhaust out of the extra slot.

3) Applicable to all MM cases except the bob slay.

Since I am torn over this, I am thinking about contacting Mountain Mods and inquiring about a custom case... a fusion of the Horizon and Opti. It would have the horizontal motherboard layout of the Horizon, and the front panel configuration of an Opti, with bottom radiator mounting. I know the 5.25 bay cages would be very close to the motherboard tray, and there would only be clearance for optical drives (and other long devices) in certain positions, but I think it would work for me.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Yeah they will make any custom case you want. However, if I were to have them build me one I would:
    1) want something more 'original'. One that doesn't even look like their cubes
    2) geared more towards the application. Like mounting for 2x 120.3 or 120.2 rads. Or maybe an in case LCD screen.

No matter which way you go, I think you'll love the case you get.

Thanks for the comments, mtl_hed. I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with the quality of the UFO cases.

I have not talked to MM yet, so don't know if pricing will be prohibitive, but my plan is to get a custom powdercoat finish like Sneaky's. I think that looks better than the glossier factory finish, which shows fingerprints/etc easier.

The UFO cases are close to perfect already, IMO. While it would be fun to go all-out and create something totally custom, it is simpler (and hopefully cheaper) to get them to create a hybrid Opti/Horizon using existing parts. Which also has the advantage of making the case compatible with accessories they sell (side panels, etc). It is tempting to increase the dimensions slightly, like add a few inches to the depth, but I think 18x18x18 will be fine.

If I go the custom route, I will probably also ask for a custom top panel, with three 120mm holes cut to fit a Thermochill radiator, positioned right over the motherboard. That way I can have fans pushing or pulling air over hotspots on the motherboard (RAM, vid card RAM, etc), and also the option to add a second PA120.3 in the future.

The one thing I am uncertain about with this scheme is whether I'll have enough room to comfortably route tubing (water lines) and other wiring from the top half of the case to the bottom. By my rough estimate there will be about two inches max between the motherboard tray and the 5-1/4" drive bays.

I just ordered up a black powder coated "Original" U2-UFO. Should be here on Friday, so I'll let you know the things I like/dislike about it more in depth then. I'm planning a 120.3 PE setup as well...

good to see you got back to us on the new case! cheers

I am Xtreme
    Let me know if you have questions. First MM build was custom 22" with a vapochill and also emedded 12" touchscreen LCD. Just finished second MM build standard 18" Duality in white for my vet clinic. I have a third MM case (black 1203) on the way that will be used in a buddy's new build. Sweet cases. I had to have a cusom steel top cut for the 22" case because the stock on was too thin to mount the axe in the top

Would a phase unit fit inside as well as watercooling?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
    good to see you got back to us on the new case! cheers
    lol
    Gaming Rig
    Intel E6300
    Intel Mobo
    2 Gig OCZ 800 (800 5,5,5,15)
    Saphire Ati 4870
    22inch LG Flatron W2230S

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My custom ufo horizon should be here soon will post some piccys.

Quote Originally Posted by clone38 View Post
    My custom ufo horizon should be here soon will post some piccys.
    Nice.
    Last edited by cognoscenti; 03-14-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast