Thread: Switching from ES E6600 to Retail 6600

The 8 second kid

Switching from ES E6600 to Retail 6600

I recently got my retail conroe and decided to install it yesterday. System specs are p5w DH deluxe bios 0602, TTBT, 2x512 patriot ddr2 1000, seasonic 600w, pair of 34g raptors.

After installing the retail chip the system would not post, I reseated the HSF twice, pulled and cleaned contacts on the ram twice and the videocard(x700 pro).

Finally put the ES back in and bingo. it posted.

Reading through Lawrywild's thread, Asus P5w DH - Problems + Fixes Thread I found no mention of this problem. Then I saw at the top..."lawrywild's current recommended BIOS version: 1305" so I thought WTF!

afudos and this bios...... Had NO LUCK
    first ever use of Winflash and BAMMO

reinstall the retail HO and BAMMO it posted.

Thought I'd share this experience with the community and see if anyone had the same issue going from ES to retail in same system.
    A big Movieman type DUALLIE

The ES chips oc about 200-400mhz higher than the retail's. It might just have been that the flashing reset your oc settings back to stock and allowed you to post with the lesser chip. Also I believe the retails need 801+ bios version to post to begin with also (pretty sure this is in the stickies though).

mds
    E6600 week 25 @ 9x400 dual prime stable 24 hours, Vcore=1.50
    P5WDG2 WS Pro + Scythe Ninja + OCZ DDR2-800 Rev. 1 2x1024

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mds47
    The ES chips oc about 200-400mhz higher than the retail's. It might just have been that the flashing reset your oc settings back to stock and allowed you to post with the lesser chip. Also I believe the retails need 801+ bios version to post to begin with also (pretty sure this is in the stickies though).

mds
    This is BS and someone's fantasy... Put it to bed.

Weedsqueezer: Good info... Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by pcdoc1
    This is BS and someone's fantasy... Put it to bed.

Weedsqueezer: Good info... Thanks-
    ????????

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792
    Last edited by mds47; 09-04-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Not sure what this means but the retails, particularly starting with the 27's are clearly matching or out performing the ES...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Glad my post helped (I think? lol) :thumbsup:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Not sure what this means but the retails, particularly starting with the 27's are clearly matching or out performing the ES...
    You're right, starting to... I'm just trying to help and pin point what changed to make it work. I dont see a logical reason for an in-windows flash to work and afudos not. I would expect the opposite.

mds

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrywild
    Glad my post helped (I think? lol) :thumbsup:
    It did, he and I were on the phone and I told him to check the forum as there was a good thread on it..Yours!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    You're right, starting to... I'm just trying to help and pin point what changed to make it work. I dont see a logical reason for an in-windows flash to work and afudos not. I would expect the opposite.

mds
    More BS... None of your post reference bios/flash or an attempt to resolve anything... You made an incorrect statement regarding ES chips that had little to no relevance to the thread. No sense in arguing with a post jockey, have a good one…

More BS... None of your post reference bios/flash or an attempt to resolve anything... You made an incorrect statement regarding ES chips that had little to no relevance to the thread. No sense in arguing with a post jockey, have a good one…
    "It might just have been that the flashing reset your oc settings back to stock and allowed you to post with the lesser chip."

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm sorry I rubbed you the wrong way. Not all chips oc the same (ES or not) and the bios reset from the flash may have been what enabled the post. That's all I want to say.

The 8 second kid
    Thanks for your help guys, this chip right now is running at 410*9 1.5 burning through SOB at nearly 8M cEMs/sec on 1 core. It did super pi at the same time 1M in 13seconds. just saying this retail chip is more stable at this speed than the ES was with .03v less on the core. (where do i get prime95 r whatever?) i have been using various DC projects for stability

As far as the flashing of the bios. I have never done one in windows before (too scared) but it really was easy and ID 10 T proof! heck i had no idea winflash would even download the correct version!

EDIT: Lawrywild...This thread was mostly a tribute! :stands to salute:
    Last edited by Weedsqueezer; 09-04-2006 at 10:14 AM.
    A big Movieman type DUALLIE