Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: So D9GKX is better than D9GMH?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl
    i knew the same thing before, but talking to someone at RD from a well known ram manufacturer he told me this, my guess is that they are binned in a diferent way, so the whole this is better couse is rate for 800mhz isnt true when overclocking, i've been told that ghm can do 1200mhz 2.4v if cherry picked on 965 platform (cas 4)
    theres lots of GKX that can do that too.

I dont believe that at all... IMO the IC's are exactly the same. Also IMO GKX is usually noticably better then GMH, unless you compare low bin GKX to high bin GMH.

I like how we discovered that cherry picked GMH can do 1200mhz, well so can cherry picked GCT and GKX. They are all the same IC, just matters how much you cherry pick them. Ever see hipro's GKX? the stuff that he ran at 3.4v and took the cas 3 WR with?

I'm not calling you a liar, i just think your source may not be so good. Like stilt said micron's binning isnt very good as it is. Thing about it is i bet they bin for stock operation, meaning 1.8v... which is no indication of how ram handles higher volts. I know my BH-5 ran great with only 3.2v but never really gained much after that. However i had a set that ran crappy at 3.2 but went rhigher then my other set with more volts.
    Last edited by Revv23; 11-03-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    theres lots of GKX that can do that too.

I dont believe that at all... IMO the IC's are exactly the same. Also IMO GKX is usually noticably better then GMH, unless you compare low bin GKX to high bin GMH.

I like how we discovered that cherry picked GMH can do 1200mhz, well so can cherry picked GCT and GKX. They are all the same IC, just matters how much you cherry pick them. Ever see hipro's GKX? the stuff that he ran at 3.4v and took the cas 3 WR with?

I'm not calling you a liar, i just think your source may not be so good. Like stilt said micron's binning isnt very good as it is. Thing about it is i bet they bin for stock operation, meaning 1.8v... which is no indication of how ram handles higher volts. I know my BH-5 ran great with only 3.2v but never really gained much after that. However i had a set that ran crappy at 3.2 but went rhigher then my other set with more volts.
    if you feel like knowing more than a ram manufacturer that test hundred of chips, feel free.

I saw hipro with 3.4v also kunak with 3.3v but those are 1 in a million results we are talking about averages here, ghm is better for high votls as far as i know.

you can ask around to some ram manufacturers here are several people that work or test a lot for them

p.d. also cellshock if im not mistaken uses 8 layer pcb which helps for high volts

Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl
    if you feel like knowing more than a ram manufacturer that test hundred of chips, feel free.

I saw hipro with 3.4v also kunak with 3.3v but those are 1 in a million results we are talking about averages here, ghm is better for high votls as far as i know.

you can ask around to some ram manufacturers here are several people that work or test a lot for them

p.d. also cellshock if im not mistaken uses 8 layer pcb which helps for high volts
    You've said that only the chip makers who knows 100% about their products itself, then why does Micron Corp have sold D9GKX more expensive than D9GMH if GMH is greater than GKX?

And you haven't answered my question yet about my last reply before.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bengkiam
    Ok, so the simple explaination is a 3.0v D9GMH will outperform a 3.0v D9GKX with maximizer, right?

yes for high volts on average ghm will outperform gkx

Quote Originally Posted by bengkiam
    You've said that only the chip makers who knows 100% about their products itself, then why does Micron Corp have sold D9GKX more expensive than D9GMH if GMH is greater than GKX?
    mate if you try to understand what you read will be nice, micron sells d9gkx with a higher price becouse its better at low volts and many people like that, only extreme overclockers like good ram at insanely high volts like 2.7v+ for ddr2 remember jedec is only 1.8v for ddr2 that is 50% more volts now imagine at 3.0v+
    Last edited by metro.cl; 11-04-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Xtreme Member

D9GCT running at 4-4-4-12 (2.1v) with 1000Mhz 4:5 E6600 at 3.6Ghz.

One can not say with certainty that one set of D9GMH is better than another set of D9GKX. If one has the statistical analysis of a population with D9GMH vs another population of D9GKX, then the most that they can say is that "THIS" population performed better than "THAT" population.

Anything else falls into the realm of postulated opinion and lacks evidenced credibility.

I would NOT listen to such across the board statements. It is my opinion that those who make such statements often are very likely in error on other statements as well.

Xtreme Member
    D9GKX is much better than D9GMH. I had GMH chips in my OCZ. I throw them away and get KHX PC9600 now. Whey got GKX and cost just $319 for 2*1024Mb here in Sweden. That's very cheap for us And the KHX sticks does 1260Mhz I've seen on 4-4-4-x only 2.4v.
    Last edited by 2good4you; 06-26-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    Ivy Bridge 3770K @ ????MHz
    6c Intel Xeon X7460 24MB cache 16GB RAM 22TB HDD fileserver
    Dual Intel Xeon E5620 workstation
    SB 2600K @ 5016MHz 1.37v HT on AIR primestable
    AMD Athlon X3 425 @ B25 4GHz+ AIR
    AMD Athlon X2 6400+ @ 3811MHz AIR
    AMD Athlon X2 3600+ @ 3200MHz AIR
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2714MHz AIR
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    Corsair 8GB XMS3 2000MHz
    ATI Radeon HD5850 @ 1000MHz+/1200MHz+
    Windows 7 Enterprise x64