Thread: 90nm GPU's reach their limit?

Xtreme Member

Exclamation 90nm GPU's reach their limit?

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/3357/48/

Interesting read, although I dont like the fact that it chose to compare it against a 7900GT.

But to me it shows that 90nm has reacheda limit and that most of the performance gained has come from the DDR4 bandwidth.

Now that we see the shelf life of GPU's is greatly reduced, we also find that the only cards we see are reference designs. I recall that when something was called a 'golden sample' the RAM was better as well as the unit would (usually) clock higher than a standard card - now the only thing spearatling the top clocked models from the value card is the BIOS and the badge.

Seeing these results cement the fact that nvidia should have used DDR4 or the same highest performance DDR3 that waas used in the 512MB 7800GTX to allow the full potential of G71 to be realised.

More annoying is that the so called 'extreme' or 'goes like hell' or 'XXX' series gpus should offer better value (apart from the BIOS and the badge) and ultilised some better ram as well as the dubiously 'hand picked by a orangutang' GPU (nowt against orangutangs u know).

So come on guys give us a real golden sample, or a real XXX, or a real Extreme edition GPU - break the mold and be DIFFERENT!!!

Don't just reclock a BIOS to make more money, make more money by producing a superior product FFS!!

[/end rant]
    Last edited by maverik-sg1; 08-28-2006 at 09:56 AM.

YouTube Addict
    Yet they compared a 512Mb card to a 256 One....
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Eh, they compared the new top-of-the-line to a mid-high range card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Addict
    Why the hell are they comparing it to a 256 card!? WTF?! Morons...
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Lol
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

Xtreme Member
    diletants!

Xtreme Addict
    s