Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: How to install & setup WCG

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    First off to the asylum
    No optimized clients in WCG at all. We run stock only!
    On the stats yes you have to join the free-dc forum and such then go to the sigtool IIRC. A howto is on here some were I will go get the addy and edit this post.

Here is the guide MM wrote on Free-Dc sig setup.
    Last edited by [XC] mysticmerlin; 05-24-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: add link

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcreeper View Post
    I have just installed BOINC on my rig and set it to work, under MP I got 16 max, so it should use all 4 cores/ 8 threads on my machine. Time is set to 75%. (I use the machine.) Do I have to eliminate the Pic in my Sig to use the stat counter? It shouldn't be over the max size (The counter doesn't look over 100pix tall, and my sig is 100pix tall, and we are allowed 250 pix in height no? Thanks guys.

**EDIT**: BTW; Do I have to register with Free-Dc.org to get my stats displayed? Or is that an automatic type thing?
    And how do I go about "optimizing" the BOINC program? A set of files to DL or what? Will post Benchmark when I get a chance.
    Hi and welcome to the team

You don't have to use the stats counter. You're free to use any sig you like.
    You have to register with FRee-DC.org to get your stats (not automatic)

Don't use the optimized BOINC pgm , it's considered "cheating" and not allowed in our team. (The optimized BOINC pgm uses SSE3 instructions , this has a big influence on the benchmark. Benchmark scores will be very high with the optimized client and you will be penalized for using it : you'll only get half the credit you deserve)

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    Hi and welcome to the team

You don't have to use the stats counter. You're free to use any sig you like.
    You have to register with FRee-DC.org to get your stats (not automatic)

Don't use the optimized BOINC pgm , it's considered "cheating" and not allowed in our team. (The optimized BOINC pgm uses SSE3 instructions , this has a big influence on the benchmark. Benchmark scores will be very high with the optimized client and you will be penalized for using it : you'll only get half the credit you deserve)
    To slow Jaco

Free-DC

I have read the article about it. But my name is not on the list.
    I am running WCG on BOINC, so what do I put where? Do I put my BOINC ID number under WCG (BOINC) on the stat-tool page? Or do I put my WCG login-followed by XtremeSystems? This is giving me a headache. Thanks Guys.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcreeper View Post
    I have read the article about it. But my name is not on the list.
    I am running WCG on BOINC, so what do I put where? Do I put my BOINC ID number under WCG (BOINC) on the stat-tool page? Or do I put my WCG login-followed by XtremeSystems? This is giving me a headache. Thanks Guys.
    For worldcommunitygrid it should be like: NightcreeperXtremeSystems
    For Boinc WCG it is a number go to www.worldcommunitygrid.org and click on my profile. Scroll down to were it says BOINC Number. That is the number you need to put in to the free-dc for boinc wcg.

Xtreme Legend
    Welcome to the team.

Are you using the UD client or BOINC? BOINC will give you 100&#37; utilization. On the Projects tab of the BOINC Manager, hit Update. See if that helps.

Xtreme Legend
    You registered at WCG, right? On the WCG home page is a My Grid tab. When you click it, it will ask for your user name and password (assuming you already registered). The My Grid page has all your personal stats, as well as a device manager that allows you to control things like the individual projects (AIDS, etc.) you wish to take part in. By default you take part in all of them. But you can change that if you want.

After you install BOINC and enable it, a pop-up window should appear asking which project you want to attach to. You type in "www.worldcommunitygrid.org". It will then ask for your user name and password. After you enter that information, the client should attach to the project and begin downloading work units.

BOINC has two main components - the client and the manager. The manager is the GUI that allows you to control certain functions. The client is the software that actually communicates with the WCG servers.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 06-15-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    You can uninstall the UD client using Add/Remove. It won't affect BOINC.

Xtreme Legend
    Glad you got it working. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There are plenty of team members who can help you out.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    aboard Mcoffey. S_B is the best. Glad you are with us in the fight.

V3 Xeons coming soon!

And thanks for joining in.
    This is something that is really worth doing and now we have the computational power to make a difference!
    P4's were ok..AMD optys and X2's were better..
    With the C2D's I think we're finally at that level to get the answers in a reasonable timeframe.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    oh no,,,don't do that...don't give me a real reason to build a C2D box I don't think my family can take it

and thanks for the welcome Movieman, I've always admired your posts over on the L Cooling side.

andyc
    LOL, by C2D's I mean the conroe archetecture..Not clovers..
    The best bang for the buck here in WCG is a Q6600 clocked from 3200-3500..
    2 of those at 3350 will beat my clover at 3157 and at a lot less $$$ spent..
    A lot less!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just joined up last night, told the wife about it, and she wanted to set up her Dell laptop to do some crunching as well. Of course I made her join the XS team! :P I hope I set everything up correctly! Can anyone tell me the difference between Boinc WCG and World Community Grid? Thanks!
    Main Rig:
    Q6600 G0 @3.7ghz 1.425V - EVGA 680i A1 (Vdroop mod) - 4GB G.Skill HZ DDR2-800 @1000mhz - EVGA 8800 Ultra SLI @710/2460mhz - 2x WD Raptor X 150GB RAID 0 - 2x WD 500GB RAID 1 - 1x WD 320GB eSATA External - SB X-Fi XtremeMusic - Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W - NEC 16X DVD±RW DL - 2x Dell 2405FPW (Dual monitor w/ SLI!) - ATI Radeon X300 - MM U2-UFO Horizon
    Dual loops:
    D-Tek FuZion (Bowed) - PA120.3 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - Distilled w/ Red UV dye
    2x EK FC8800 - DD680i NB - PA120.2 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - G11 UV
    Temps: 28-29degC idle / 46-48degC load with MX-2! Pics of my build!

Dedicated Cruncher:
    Lapped E6600 @3.6ghz - MSI P35 Platinum - 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 @933mhz - MSI 8500GT - 320GB WD - Lapped Big Typhoon - Seasonic M12 700W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RX7boricua View Post
    I just joined up last night, told the wife about it, and she wanted to set up her Dell laptop to do some crunching as well. Of course I made her join the XS team! :P I hope I set everything up correctly! Can anyone tell me the difference between Boinc WCG and World Community Grid? Thanks!
    Welcome to the team!! Great to have you

They are really one and the same. They only differ in points. In Boinc manager the point value you see isn't the same as if you were to go to My Grid on WCG's website. The WCG website takes your Boinc WCG points and multiplies them by 7 to get that point total. Hope that was clear.

Xtreme Cruncher

Welcome to the team.

If you are inquiring about the difference between using the wcg United Devices client vs using Boinc client, then:

the UD client is an old software that was developed many years ago. It is not in active development any more and will not be supporting future operating systems (Vista). It will be phased out in time and replaced with the better Boinc client.

The Boinc client is in constant development and provides more control over the machine you are using. Although it looks a bit more involved to use, it is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Recommend that you do not use the UD client. If you have just installed it, suggest you uninstall it and install Boinc instead. During the installation process, use the defaults except select "Service Install" in the setup dialog box. Straight forward.

And as always we are all here so just yell.
    Dual Clovertown @ 3.2 GHz (stock Vcore), 4x1GB 667 FB-DIMMS, SM X7DAE, Silencer 610 PSU, Windows server 2K3 EE.
    (professionally built & generously hosted by movieman)

AMD64 X2 4400+ @237x11 (1.39v), Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL @2.5-3-2-6-1T (2.75V), MSI K8N Neo4, Tagan 420W PSU, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm using Boinc 5.10.7 right now, and I had no desire to use the UD client, as it seems that everyone uses Boinc. What I meant was in my stats, I guess the "World Community Grid" one would be if I were using UD instead of Boinc?
    Main Rig:
    Q6600 G0 @3.7ghz 1.425V - EVGA 680i A1 (Vdroop mod) - 4GB G.Skill HZ DDR2-800 @1000mhz - EVGA 8800 Ultra SLI @710/2460mhz - 2x WD Raptor X 150GB RAID 0 - 2x WD 500GB RAID 1 - 1x WD 320GB eSATA External - SB X-Fi XtremeMusic - Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W - NEC 16X DVD±RW DL - 2x Dell 2405FPW (Dual monitor w/ SLI!) - ATI Radeon X300 - MM U2-UFO Horizon
    Dual loops:
    D-Tek FuZion (Bowed) - PA120.3 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - Distilled w/ Red UV dye
    2x EK FC8800 - DD680i NB - PA120.2 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - G11 UV

Dedicated Cruncher:
    Lapped E6600 @3.6ghz - MSI P35 Platinum - 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 @933mhz - MSI 8500GT - 320GB WD - Lapped Big Typhoon - Seasonic M12 700W

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm using Boinc 5.10.7 right now, and I had no desire to use the UD client, as it seems that everyone uses Boinc. What I meant was in my stats, I guess the "World Community Grid" one would be if I were using UD instead of Boinc?
    No, read my post up above meshmesh's again

World Community Grid stats are your Boinc WCG stats multiplied by 7.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Got it mcflurry, thanks!
    Main Rig:
    Dual loops:

Dedicated Cruncher:

Xtreme Legend
    Welcome to the team.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Got it mcflurry, thanks!
    No problem Took me forever to figure that out lol.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Question guys... Check out my daily scores so far at http://stats.free-dc.org/new/usersta...cg&name=343501. Can anyone tell me if these daily credits look right for my setup? I set up my client to run at 100&#37; when I'm idle, and it stops processing when I move the mouse and do something. I'd like to make it drop down to like 50% when I'm sitting at the computer, but I dunno how to set it up to do that. What do you guys think?
    Main Rig:
    Dual loops:

Dedicated Cruncher:

Xtreme Legend
    If you are using one of the newer versions of BOINC, in the BOINC Manager, go to Advanced, then Preferences, then Processor Usage tab. You can make changes there.

A C2D running at 3.6GHz should generate around 1,000 BOINC points a day, if it were running at 100% load the entire day. It sometimes takes a week before you can get a good idea of your daily production. It usually takes at least a couple of days before each finished work unit is validated.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You don't really need to set anything. Boinc applications are set to Low priority (=4) compared to the normal priorit (=8) for windows applications.

Windows OS will only run boinc apps using only the spare cycles that no other appication needs. So it shouldn't interfere with whatever work you are doing.

That said, if you feel you need to suspend Boinc completely while you are using the PC:
    go to wcg website
    log on to your "MyGrid"
    from the left menu, click Device manager -> Device Profiles
    click on the hyperlink of the profile assigned to this PC
    This will open this profile settings page
    Assuming you are using "Custom Profile"
    Change the setting "Do work while computer is in use?" to "No".
    Click "save" button at thebottom of the screen.

Now boinc will only run if the PC has been idle for 3 minutes.
    The setting will take effect the next time boinc client contacts the wcg server (next WU upload).

Notes:
    The setting change will effect all PCs attached to this particular profile.
    You can assign your main rig a separate profile if more than one PC is crunching.
    Dual Clovertown @ 3.2 GHz (stock Vcore), 4x1GB 667 FB-DIMMS, SM X7DAE, Silencer 610 PSU, Windows server 2K3 EE.
    (professionally built & generously hosted by movieman)

AMD64 X2 4400+ @237x11 (1.39v), Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL @2.5-3-2-6-1T (2.75V), MSI K8N Neo4, Tagan 420W PSU, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sweet, thanks guys. The way it's running now, it jumps up to 100&#37; both cores, and if I move the mouse or do something, it drops to 0. Once I stop moving the mouse around or typing, it goes back to 100% immediately. I have it set up in Boinc to work when I'm idle, 0.00 minutes after I go idle. Before I set it up that way, it would cycle between like 40 and 90% back and forth no matter if I was idle or not. I want it to be 100% constant while I'm idle, but I don't want it to suspend completely when I work. I'd like it to drop to 40-50% while I'm on the machine if possible, but I don't see where I can set that up anywhere.

I'll give it a week or so to see what my daily numbers look like. I just don't want my machine sitting there working at 100% while I'm sleeping or at work if it's not crunching as much as it should be cuz of a silly configuration issue.
    Main Rig:
    Dual loops:

Dedicated Cruncher:

I just tried signing up, and I got the following error twice:

Error

* The system could not find your member profile

Your action has resulted in an error.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    Currently:
    TT Armor case with interior painted black |Asus Crosshair | X2 4600+ with Zalman CPNS9700 LED | 2x1GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 | XFX 7900GS with Zalman VF900 CU LED | 3x WD320GB | WD 32gb Raptor(system) | TT Toughpower 750

Water cooling hopefully in summer 08

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast