Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Most extreme cable management mod ever

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i put my fingers in 220v
    when i was a child
    now i only have a scar on my finger..

BTW any1 explains to me how it works?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    while the 12V cant overcome your skin, it can burn you.

If you wear a watch or something, the metal on the watch can heat up and burn you.

I think many people need to learn about electricity a little more heh. Im sorry, but I was laughing out loud when people were saying they were afraid of "lots of amps". I'd be afraid too, if it was 35V+
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

I am Xtreme
    fingers, we don't need no stinken fingers!!
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Member
    Thought I would clear up some stuff for you guys.

if your talkin about just current killing, then a AAA battery could kill you.

If your talkin about voltage killing you, then getting a static shock could kill you.

We all know these two statements aint true.

Like has been said before, your skins resistance means that at 12volts the 50ma to 70ma of current cannot be reached because resistance is too high for that amount of current to flow.

Electricity kills by asphyxiation (aka suffocation). It paralyzes your heart and lungs and disrupts your brain which leads to oxygen deprivation. People struck by lightning usually die of internal burns through their vital organs, but sometimes from asphyxiation from their brain not telling their lungs to breath or heart to beat.

A static charge must be about 6000 volts (yes 6KV) before you can even feel it. Static discharge as low as 30 Volts can destroy CMOS transistors in IC's. Static can jump about 1 inch per 1 million volts.

AC voltage is considered to be more dangerous because 120Vrms AC is 170Volts peak to peak which means more peak current flows through your body. DC voltage is just as lethal as AC voltage when absolute values are considered. For example 170VDC is just as deadly as 120Vrms AC. Either is more than enough to paralyze your heart and lungs.

Thomas Edison was NOT the father of today's electric grid! He wanted a power station producing DC voltage on every street corner. Nicola Tesla with westinghouse produced AC power distribution we know today. AC travels long distances with minimal losses partly due to the ability to step up the voltage to hundreds of thousands of volts, but also because ac has less impedance over long distances compared to DC. Edison was a monopolistic jerk in reality. Nicola Tesla was a real genius who still doesnt get credit for the biggest change in human history.

Also you cant hear electricity!! That humm or buzz is caused by magnetic fields in transformers creating movement in panels, windings, etc. Electricity is silent it can only cause other things to make noise.

The most deadly voltage is 220 to 480 volts AC. With 120 VAC you can still force yourself to let go. With 500VAC or more you get blown away or fly back from the source. With 220 to 480 you touch and are immiediatly paralyzed and stiff as an iron I beam and no one can touch you cause they will be the same AND it usually wont blow breakers because your not passing enough current to trip breakers. The movies have electrocution all wrong. In real life it is much less dramatic. Basically you sit there frozen or tense up in the most intense pain you could possibly feel and pee and maybe poo your self till you suffocate to death.

It is commonly thought that voltages above 50 volts are dangerous, and below 50v it is not considered lethal. Depending on conditions, this is true. If your dripping soaking wet, a car battery could maybe kill you if you grabbed it tightly on both terminals, but it would most likely burn the hand on the negative terminal.

Electrons travel from negative to positive in reality. Conventional thinking back in the day was that electrons moved postive to negative and circuits are often designed with this false notion. Either works in theory, you only run into problems in certain circumstances with high power or extreme high voltage.

As long as that case is sealed and not easily opened and the case is fully grounded, it is fully safe and could probably pass for UL license and that kinda stuff with a few minor tweaks.

The DC voltage drop would be better than normal cables in normal power supplies, but I doubt this will have an effect on performance. In real world use, this buss type system would have worse performance because the current use by computers is VERY transient and busses like that are poor performers for transients. Constant current loads are good for busses, when your dealing with transient currents, you'll get whats called skin effect. The current travels on the skin of the conductor and not through the actual conductor. Stranded cable has lots of surface area which means lots of surface area for transient currents to travel on.

The magnetic field being created by the buss will be a little stronger than the magnetic field created by your regular cables, but it will most likely not cause problems. If anything it will generate a little EMI which will probably be less than your hardrives make, and far less than your FSB/MCH connection on your motherboard.

The reason your tongue tastes funny when you lick electricity is because of a chemical reaction. I forget the proper term, but the electricity is causing a chemical reaction in the spit. I bet if you lick a 9 volt battery, the negative terminal gives you the most tingle and taste.

If the guy were to smoke crack one night and stick a scredriver into the case and short the rails, the power supply would sense the short and shutdown. If it is a crappy power supply it might produce a large voltage transient to compensate for the sagged voltage and destroy parts and then it will short out the main switching mosfet in the power supply from overcurrent that is caused by oscillation from severe overcompensation of a switchmode power supply and then the main fuse would blow wide open. The worst that could happen from a direct short would be damaged parts.

If the guy is good ( which he appears to be) then soldering the ATX connections directly to the mobo would make the absolute best connection you could ever fathom of getting. Yes, it WILL be a pain in the butt to do work on the mobo, but cool looks and performance often come at the expense of practicality.

This is the cleanest looking case I've seen period. And I would say it is FAR safer by a magnitude of 100 than 95% of the Vmods I see people have rigged on these forums.

Basically to sum things up:

The guy is in absolutely no risk of hurting himself or others with this mod.

12 volts could maybe kill you, but you would have to be trying pretty dang hard to do it. Basically stick one terminal from a car battery on each of you nipples dripping wet with salt water.

According to established rules, 50 volts and higher is considered dangerous.

AC is just as deadly as DC.
    3.75 Ghz E6600 SL958 @1.4volts WC by Apogee
    Intel D975XBX2 Rev 503 BIOS 2431 1066 Strap (This Mobo SUCKS!)
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 @ DDR834 5,5,5,15
    EVGA 8800GTX WC MCW60 (685GPU/1050Mem)
    4X74 10,000RPM WD Raptor RAID-0 (260MB/S)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    SILVERSTONE GD01S-MXR HTPC Case
    Intel HD Audio... Saving up for i-Meridian
    Custom Designed/Built 6x500Watt + 1x1500 Watt Amplifier .005% THD+N @ 20Khz not 1Khz
    Custom Designed/Built D'Appolito Reference Speakers w/ Custom -24dB crossovers
    Custom Designed/Built 15" Digital Designs Audio 9515f tuned to 22Hz.
    52" LG DLP 52SX4D HDTV

Xtreme Addict
    Wow that was extremely well written and I learned a bit from it . You should post more

One thing I noticed in particular that you mentioned that I was told differently by my physics teacher way back in the day was that the 240v in europe is safer than the 120v in america. He mentioned that the 120v in america operates at 60hz, which he said was also the frequency at which the nervous system works in humans (and also heart), which is why the paralysis exists when you come in good contact. He mentioned that the 50hz in europe poses less of an issue since it doesn't interfere with nerves in the same manner.

What you are saying definitely does make sense though. I've touched 120v ac a bunch of times (most of the time it was unintentional but nonetheless), but I just figured it was because I was always touching thin wire, which could just as easily fall and release, as opposed to full out grabbing something.

but thanks for the post for sure. It was a good worth of my time reading it and I was a little sad to scroll down and see that the end was near . I'm sure it'll set a lot of people straight in this topic
    E8400 8x500=4000 | ABIT IP35-E
    2x2GB Tracer PC2-6400 1:1 500MHz 5-5-5-15 2.0V
    Galaxy 8800GT 800/2000/1100 1.3V | 80GB X25-M G2 + 1.5TB 7200.11 | XFiXG
    Fuzion | MCW60 | DDC2+Petra | Coolrad22T+BIP1

Merom 13x133=1733 1MB L2 0.950V

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks cool but does it actually work?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SPL15
    12 volts could maybe kill you, but you would have to be trying pretty dang hard to do it. Basically stick one terminal from a car battery on each of you nipples dripping wet with salt water.
    According to established rules, 50 volts and higher is considered dangerous.
    AC is just as deadly as DC.

I have to sig this cause I thought the example was funny.

SPL15 thank you for your post, its one of the best I have read yet.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziddey
    One thing I noticed in particular that you mentioned that I was told differently by my physics teacher way back in the day was that the 240v in europe is safer than the 120v in america. He mentioned that the 120v in america operates at 60hz, which he said was also the frequency at which the nervous system works in humans (and also heart), which is why the paralysis exists when you come in good contact. He mentioned that the 50hz in europe poses less of an issue since it doesn't interfere with nerves in the same manner.
    Sorry, I had the same issue in physics class with my teacher... Basically when it came to the mysterious and magical electricity part of the class, he spoke out of his butt.

50Hz and 60 hz are both equally lethal. If you were to grab 50 hz and then grab 60 hz, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference, it would just hurt.

What matters is the peak voltage. Your heart and lungs dont care about RMS voltage, the peak voltage/current is the current that your body will feel. Your muscles will tense with the frequency of the voltage being applied. Unless your NEO, you cant move fast enough to release 50 hz over 60 hz.

Your nervous system doesnt really have a frequency. Sure our bodies and brains sort of act like computers and peripherals etc, but we are a little more complex than 1's and 0's. Our perception and realtime multitasking would not work on a nervous system that had a clock of 60 hz. If you've ever been in an anechoic chamber, you can here a very faint ultra high pitch wine in your ears and sounds like its coming from the center of your head. This is thought to be a harmonic of your nervous system's "operating frequency" although it is probably just a wierd phenomena that means nothing.

Europe went with 50 Hz mainly because the towns and places that needed electricity were spread out much more so than in the US. Lower frequency AC will have less line losses over long distances and lower frequency AC was much more effective for driving massive industrial motors way back when. Nicola Tesla wanted 60 Hz and said that was a good number based on resonance and the fact that light bulbs back then didnt flicker with 60 hz, but did slightly with 50 hz. Also 60 Hz requires smaller transformers than 50 hz. The reason NTSC is based on 60 hz is because the power line frequency was originally used in the first TV's for vertical sync. Europe has PAL which is based on 50 hz... I'm glad we got 120 VAC @ 60hz thats for sure. It's less lethal than 220 and 60 Hz led the way for 60 Frames per second in TV (30 fields per second) which looks a whole lot better than 50 frames. Also, Transformers are need to be larger with 50 Hz... 60 Hz is worse for power factor, but oh well.
    3.75 Ghz E6600 SL958 @1.4volts WC by Apogee
    Intel D975XBX2 Rev 503 BIOS 2431 1066 Strap (This Mobo SUCKS!)
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 @ DDR834 5,5,5,15
    EVGA 8800GTX WC MCW60 (685GPU/1050Mem)
    4X74 10,000RPM WD Raptor RAID-0 (260MB/S)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    SILVERSTONE GD01S-MXR HTPC Case
    Intel HD Audio... Saving up for i-Meridian
    Custom Designed/Built 6x500Watt + 1x1500 Watt Amplifier .005% THD+N @ 20Khz not 1Khz
    Custom Designed/Built D'Appolito Reference Speakers w/ Custom -24dB crossovers
    Custom Designed/Built 15" Digital Designs Audio 9515f tuned to 22Hz.
    52" LG DLP 52SX4D HDTV

Xtreme Member
    i want one

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345